BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Ironic how BMW listened to riders who hated the radio antenna sticking out and hid it under the fairing. Of course, this is why XM reception no longer works.

I have a good friend who was all amped up to get a new RT with the TFT. Until he found out how BMW implemented the infotainment system. What does he have now? A 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. He was a long time BMW owner. BMW's new TFT/Infotainment is so bad they are losing customers.
The XM signal has nothing to do with the new TFT - someone posted in another thread that XM signal works very well in the new R18 which has the same TFT as the RT. The antenna component or its positioning is to blame. There are also older threads in the forum related to previous RT models and complaining of XM signal issues - so issue was not introduced with the new model (nor fixed)

Registered
2021 R1250 RT
I have both a '20 Goldwing DCT Tour and a '21 R1250RT. I love the RT, despite some issues with the navigation system. I got the XM working just fine in the RT with my above mentioned 'fix".
The Wing has XM and apple carplay. I put a Zumo XT on both! I cannot describe how much MORE I love the RT compared to the Wing, and I do really like the Wing! The RT is out of this world awesome to ride. No comparison.
So this helps me a little bit more towards pushing the "buy" button on the Zumo XT ... lol :) Now the only question is whether to mount it on a bar extender or above the TFT... :unsure:

Also sounds like I might need a top case to mount my XM antennae on as well. :oops:

Registered
I put my XT on the bars (I havv tubular bars on my RT). I love it. I really love how it has become so easy to create a complicated route using MyRouteApp and import directly to the TFT, and then directly to the Zumo XT via wifi!!

Registered
The XM signal has nothing to do with the new TFT - someone posted in another thread that XM signal works very well in the new R18 which has the same TFT as the RT. The antenna component or its positioning is to blame. There are also older threads in the forum related to previous RT models and complaining of XM signal issues - so issue was not introduced with the new model (nor fixed)
I know it has nothing to do with the TFT itself.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well I took it in to Euro Cycles (Local BMW dealer) so they can open a case with BMW on it.
hopefully more people do this instead of just adding another antenna as the more complaints they get the more it "should" be paid attention to.

4 hrs later I was riding bike home with no response from BMW NA Tech line - Tech said it works fine with screen all the way down and thinks it is metal brackets as previously mentioned.

Registered
I'd agree. I used to work in one of the engineering groups at Sirius XM and reception can vary a lot depending on the quality of the antenna implementation, placement on the vehicle, etc. I've seen a few radios where the user interface was wonky, but that's more about poor user interface design...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'd agree. I used to work in one of the engineering groups at Sirius XM and reception can vary a lot depending on the quality of the antenna implementation, placement on the vehicle, etc. I've seen a few radios where the user interface was wonky, but that's more about poor user interface design...
I wish all XM Radios had a screen to show Receive Signal level so we could compare position of vehicle or in this case windscreen vs RSL - it'd help to trouble shoot.

Do you know which of the three connectors is for the XM antenna on our bikes?
does it use two so it can have 2 separate but different polarizations of the antenna element in the puck?

Registered
I wish all XM Radios had a screen to show Receive Signal level so we could compare position of vehicle or in this case windscreen vs RSL - it'd help to trouble shoot.

Do you know which of the three connectors is for the XM antenna on our bikes?
does it use two so it can have 2 separate but different polarizations of the antenna element in the puck?
Dave,
I'm going to guess that the signal strength feature would not be implemented by many radio manufactures as the antennas are usually built into the body and cannot be easily relocated... 99.9% of the consumers would not use or know what to do with that measurement :)

Damon

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Dave,
I'm going to guess that the signal strength feature would not be implemented by many radio manufactures as the antennas are usually built into the body and cannot be easily relocated... 99.9% of the consumers would not use or know what to do with that measurement :)

Damon
Yeah but it sure would be handy for us techies LOL
I guess my Satcom/Wideband troposcatter background give me a little bit more knowledge than most.
I just wish BMW would make the bike work the way it was heavily marketed with the XM and ConnectedTFT :( as well as not tell you to get a firmware update that isn't available in the USA :(

Reactions: dtrain

Cat Herder
the pink wire is the antenna for the XM radio... The reception is crap so you need to buy a spare antenna and hook it up under the front windshield. Take the windshield and the top of the cluster off (very easy) and you will see the QEM plug and XM antenna... You can plug the new antenna into the exsiting pink plug or run the new antenna from under the seat to the front. DO NOT wrap the extra wire into a small loop. Spread the extra cable into a big loop around the empty space... The extra cable will make its own interference loop and cause problems. I got this extra antenna on amazon. just make sure it has the pink end on it.

Satellite radio puts out such a low amount of power that the antenna has to be exposed to the sky. I do not know why BMW hasn't figured that out yet.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
the pink wire is the antenna for the XM radio... The reception is crap so you need to buy a spare antenna and hook it up under the front windshield. Take the windshield and the top of the cluster off (very easy) and you will see the QEM plug and XM antenna... You can plug the new antenna into the exsiting pink plug or run the new antenna from under the seat to the front. DO NOT wrap the extra wire into a small loop. Spread the extra cable into a big loop around the empty space... The extra cable will make its own interference loop and cause problems. I got this extra antenna on amazon. just make sure it has the pink end on it.

Satellite radio puts out such a low amount of power that the antenna has to be exposed to the sky. I do not know why BMW hasn't figured that out yet.
Well on your bike (older but can't tell what year) the antenna was buried under the fairing - on the 21's and beyond (so far) they are in a mushroom sort of enclosure just behind the big TFT.
I was thinking of putting one on the top trunk as I'll likely not remove it and if I mount it with 3m Velcro Dual-Lok super-duty stuff it can be removed from top box and moved to luggage rack.

As for looping cable tightly - yeah I've seen people do that and wonder why bad signal. Ummm its called an inductor LOL. Kinda like the traffic signal trigger wires.
I try to watch what I run wires next to as well....

Reactions: tvguy

Cat Herder
Well on your bike (older but can't tell what year) the antenna was buried under the fairing - on the 21's and beyond (so far) they are in a mushroom sort of enclosure just behind the big TFT.
I was thinking of putting one on the top trunk as I'll likely not remove it and if I mount it with 3m Velcro Dual-Lok super-duty stuff it can be removed from top box and moved to luggage rack.

As for looping cable tightly - yeah I've seen people do that and wonder why bad signal. Ummm its called an inductor LOL. Kinda like the traffic signal trigger wires.
I try to watch what I run wires next to as well....
The antenna I got from Amazon had nice sticky tape already on it so that was a bonus.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts