BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do indeed have a 2021 RT. My "job" took 3 min. Adhesive tape to attach new antenna to top box. I did have my dealer clean up the install. No no visible wires anywhere. It would be nice if BMW came up with an official "fix", but it is hard for me to complain now that I have flawless XM!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There's no XM satellites flying over Europe so the only solution for them is an XM app and blue tooth to what ever and the XM app will work just about every where. There's also an FM antenna in that snorkel as well. Maybe one interferes with the other.
No I would be quite shocked to hear that the FM antenna was interfering with the XM antenna as GM, BMW (Cars), and others have used combined "fin style" antennas that combine AM/FM/XM radio all in one unit (see the one I linked to above) .

I'm wondering if it is the metal of the windshield mount, the TFT display itself, or the closeness, of the cell phone in the pocket or when on my bar mount.
I seem to recall issues with the Zumo 665 XM signal if you placed the hockey puck antenna too close to the GPS receiver itself. These electronic devices often emit interference signals especially if not well shielded/grounded and the Garmin Zumo had similar issues that were only resolved by moving it further away. Perhaps that is why the external antenna people have placed on the top trunk works so much better.

As for the Made in Germany bike not having the XM tested.....I'd be shocked if they did NOT test a few models in secret in the USA.
I'm sure this is a common thing with XM implementations as the coverage is only in North America - I'm sure they do this with the cars too!
I know I lost reception on my trip up to Prudhoe Bay in 2011 with the Zumo 665 once I got into the Yukon, but I think they improved the canadian coverage now (see map below)

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Circle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wonder if this one offers any improvement?

I haven't even started the sirius trial yet to see how spotty my coverage in New England is but may go this route as I can mount to the tubular handlebar.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Blue

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm considering the small square ones and mounting further aft (on Top Box) to separate it from Cell, TFT, and ECU as much as I can...

Reactions: 1More

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
My NOS ' 18 RT was purchased in March of 2019. The radio was part of the package and included XM. Many of my rides through the country side were under tree shrouded county roads and sat coverage failed. Additionally, my channels would repeat with the same selection about every 20 minutes. I did not renew the free-trial XM.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I haven't even started the sirius trial yet to see how spotty my coverage in New England is but may go this route as I can mount to the tubular handlebar. View attachment 176637 First Rt I've seen with the tubular bars. Have you added bar backs?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I haven't even started the sirius trial yet to see how spotty my coverage in New England is but may go this route as I can mount to the tubular handlebar. View attachment 176637
First RT I've seen with the tubular bars. Have you added bar backs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
First RT I've seen with the tubular bars. Have you added bar backs?

Dealer ordered it that way as a dealer stock bike (2022), I went in wanting a triple black with the same options and just went with the Racing Blue already on order.

Not sure what you mean by bar backs? I did install a VMT riser on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a '22 RT with a radio and have the same problem! My dealer is working with BMW to get an 'official' fix and then I will implement whatever that is. I will then ask BMW to work with SiriusXM to get my trial subscription comped because I have had my bike for four months now. Once I get to an official answer, I will post here.

Eric

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have a '22 RT with a radio and have the same problem! My dealer is working with BMW to get an 'official' fix and then I will implement whatever that is. I will then ask BMW to work with SiriusXM to get my trial subscription comped because I have had my bike for four months now. Once I get to an official answer, I will post here.

Eric
Thanks Eric,
I'll be looking foward to hearing back on how your fix goes.

I would go to my local BMW dealer to complain but they were so dismissive with me when I had the TFT firmware update to 012.007.030 instead of 012.008.040 as Steffen Kraft from BMW recommended I do to fix issues that I haven't been back since......despite my telling them BMW told me to go to the newer 12.8.40 they said "that's all there is" and didn't seem to want to be of any further help, not offering to call BMW NA to ask why it was updating to older FW

I guess I'll have to take a road trip to get it done right once I find a FL dealer that knows how to work with BMW NA to get the right software downloaded onto the service PC. Sure wish GS-911 could do this so I could do it myself....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought about renewing my Jeep radio XM subscription and adding another to my R1250RT. Then it hit me, I'll just stream it from my phone's Sirius APP over Bluetooth to the bike/Helmet. Saving the money spent on two radio subscriptions.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I thought about renewing my Jeep radio XM subscription and adding another to my R1250RT. Then it hit me, I'll just stream it from my phone's Sirius APP over Bluetooth to the bike/Helmet. Saving the money spent on two radio subscriptions.
That works better than the XM inside my bike LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have both - app & XM aftermarket antenna. The advantage of having SXM subscription for the bike is that you can change channels directly via the TFT/wonderwheel while riding. If streaming via app, you can only change channels in the phone which in my case is always locked in the phone compartment

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Can someone who has the radio tell me if their radio connectors are in the same order as mine?
Wondering if the mixed up the install

Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Material property Building

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Really? I never knew that. I figured everyone had XM. Definitely India since that's where all the customer service is.
YUP - they use a figure-8 orbit over north/south america (I lost covereage in B.C. heading for Prudhoe Bay, AK):

World Ecoregion Map Atlas Circle

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I went ahead and spent the extra $500+ to get the Alpine radio module for my RT to have XM as an option for music.
However the RECEPTION IS HORRIBLE - I get 2-3 seconds of music followed by 15 seconds or more of silence as it loses signal CONSTANTLY.

Does anyone know of a BMW fix for this?
I know I can go SPEND MORE money to get an aftermarket antenna and relocate it to the top box, but I'd rather it be integrated like BMW meant it to be.

GS911 scan info of bike and that module is as follows (need 2112.04 GS911 software) :

Bike Information : -
VIN : WB10L0302M6E68754
Model : R 1250 RT (K52)
Factory I-Level : K001-21-03-505
Actual I-Level : K001-21-11-500
Backup I-Level : K001-21-03-505

UNKNOWN : -
Controller Type : Unknown
Controller Name : UNKNOWN
Controller : 0x0F8910
Serial Number : 0000611508
Manufacturer : Alpine GmbH
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 21/06/01
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 21/06/01
Kilometers when programmed : 0.00
Number of FW configurations : 7
HW Electronics (HWEL) :
Firmware ID : 0x64DE
Firmware Version : 004.003.000
Bootloader (BTLD) :
Firmware ID : 0x0006
Firmware Version : 004.000.001
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7862
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7863
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7864
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x7860
Coding Data (CAFD) :
Firmware ID : 0x64E0
Firmware Version : 003.000.014
Ironic how BMW listened to riders who hated the radio antenna sticking out and hid it under the fairing. Of course, this is why XM reception no longer works.

I have a good friend who was all amped up to get a new RT with the TFT. Until he found out how BMW implemented the infotainment system. What does he have now? A 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. He was a long time BMW owner. BMW's new TFT/Infotainment is so bad they are losing customers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to my dealer (Santa Fe, NM), the XM doesn't work because interference from the new metallic windscreen support. The old antenna you are speaking about was for AM-FM reception. I do not believe it had much to do with XM.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
88 Posts
Ironic how BMW listened to riders who hated the radio antenna sticking out and hid it under the fairing. Of course, this is why XM reception no longer works.

I have a good friend who was all amped up to get a new RT with the TFT. Until he found out how BMW implemented the infotainment system. What does he have now? A 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. He was a long time BMW owner. BMW's new TFT/Infotainment is so bad they are losing customers.
Interesting... I looked at the wing but not too seriously because I have had 2 1800s already only not the newest incarnation. When they started putting GPS in the Wings folks hated them. If I got a new one I'd still attach a zumo to it as neither Honda or BMWs offerings give me everything the zumo will.. That being said, I still think BMW is closer to the mark. I like the dash layout of the TFT and how my old eyes see everything I need to. Even if there were not app support or gps etc.. I'd get it for the TFT display. Not to mention the RT is lighter and will drag less in corners. Don't get me wrong, I loved my wings, the RT actually feels like a really light wing in some ways but as quick as my much heavier feeling ST1300s. It just feels right.. the zumo covers everything else. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both a '20 Goldwing DCT Tour and a '21 R1250RT. I love the RT, despite some issues with the navigation system. I got the XM working just fine in the RT with my above mentioned 'fix".
The Wing has XM and apple carplay. I put a Zumo XT on both! I cannot describe how much MORE I love the RT compared to the Wing, and I do really like the Wing! The RT is out of this world awesome to ride. No comparison.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts