BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,648 Posts
the pink wire is the antenna for the XM radio... The reception is crap so you need to buy a spare antenna and hook it up under the front windshield. Take the windshield and the top of the cluster off (very easy) and you will see the QEM plug and XM antenna... You can plug the new antenna into the exsiting pink plug or run the new antenna from under the seat to the front. DO NOT wrap the extra wire into a small loop. Spread the extra cable into a big loop around the empty space... The extra cable will make its own interference loop and cause problems. I got this extra antenna on amazon. just make sure it has the pink end on it.

Satellite radio puts out such a low amount of power that the antenna has to be exposed to the sky. I do not know why BMW hasn't figured that out yet.

Attachments

·
Cat Herder
1,648 Posts
Well on your bike (older but can't tell what year) the antenna was buried under the fairing - on the 21's and beyond (so far) they are in a mushroom sort of enclosure just behind the big TFT.
I was thinking of putting one on the top trunk as I'll likely not remove it and if I mount it with 3m Velcro Dual-Lok super-duty stuff it can be removed from top box and moved to luggage rack.

As for looping cable tightly - yeah I've seen people do that and wonder why bad signal. Ummm its called an inductor LOL. Kinda like the traffic signal trigger wires.
I try to watch what I run wires next to as well....
The antenna I got from Amazon had nice sticky tape already on it so that was a bonus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts