BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
I have both a '20 Goldwing DCT Tour and a '21 R1250RT. I love the RT, despite some issues with the navigation system. I got the XM working just fine in the RT with my above mentioned 'fix".
The Wing has XM and apple carplay. I put a Zumo XT on both! I cannot describe how much MORE I love the RT compared to the Wing, and I do really like the Wing! The RT is out of this world awesome to ride. No comparison.
So this helps me a little bit more towards pushing the "buy" button on the Zumo XT ... lol :) Now the only question is whether to mount it on a bar extender or above the TFT... :unsure:

Also sounds like I might need a top case to mount my XM antennae on as well. :oops:

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
On Tuesday, BMW recommended to move the actual antenna puck under the passenger seat on top of the radio module. Dealer did so...
Did they remove the antennae in the front under the windshield?

Or did they leave it and add a new one under your passenger seat?

Would be interesting to see what a passenger + top case does to the reception - i.e. are they just kicking the issue down the road or are they actually solving it...

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
how did they get the puck out of the mushroom?
Yep - that's what I want to know as well.

If I were to hazard a guess, the mushroom is still there and the dealer just added a new antenna under the seat, leaving the old one in place but disconnected.

Is the mushroom gone or still there?

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Well, the new antenna finally arrived and installed and it was worse than the previous. At this point, I had them relocate it below the passenger seat and ask BMW for compensation. I am done with this 🙂.
Mine arrived, was installed but not activated properly until last week. Managed a short ride or two, and can confirm that XM reception is spotty. Was initially getting alternating 1 min of audio / 1 min of silence... with an occasional "signal lost" message popping up. But no XM Station Logos or Album art at all. 2nd ride was a little better in that I managed to get Station Logos / Album art but the longest stretch of audio was about 2 songs, maybe 3.

I'm wondering if this isn't a TFT interference issue and that shielding between the TFT and the mushroom antenna would be part of the solution.

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Just took my 2021 RT in for the 6000 mile service. Added this issue to the ticket.

Per the dealer, there is no service bulletin on this issue. He said he’s going to check PUMA next week.

If he can’t find anything, I’m going have the issue escalated to the Regional NA Rep.

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Dave, where do I connect the pink connector on the cable attached to the new XM antenna I ordered on Amazon? Is that connection under the passenger's seat? I want to mount it via two-sided tape just below the auxiliary outlet on the right side of my 2022 R1250RT's fairing.

Thanks,

Steve
See Post #77 on this thread... download the PDF. :)

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
I have to say the electronics on the RT are baffling. I did a survey on a FB group and 50% responded saying their AM radio has zero reception. But 50% said it works fine. My FM HD works pretty well, I've ridden for 30-40 miles tuned to one station without any dropouts. My dealer doesn't want anything to do with the radio problems.
I'm in the 50% with ZERO AM reception.

For the FM-side of things, my issue is that it finds false stations (locks on to something, but then it's just a buzz or hum) and only finds the strongest signals... nothing in between.

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
Here is my fix. Took 10-15 minutes and a $15 antenna from Amazon with a 4' cord attached. I used a little piece of removable Velcro fastener cut to match the base of the 1.5" by 1.5" by 3/8" antenna base and mounted it to the top trunk of my 2022 BMW R1250RT.
I'm assuming you still had to buy the Fakra H Pink to SMB Male adapter?

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
215 Posts
I have no explanation for why the $15 flat, square from Amazon did not work unless you had it covered or had too many cable connections as each causes signal loss. My antenna is on top of my top trunk and the wire runs directly to the radio's input with no splices or extension cables used.
I bought the Anina XM antenna with 4 ft. cable (1m) from Amazon for $18. Took 20 mins to install it including running the cable under the back pad of the top case. Reception issue solved. It no longer matters the position of my windshield nor which direction I am riding.

100% agree with the advice above:

1) Do not cover your antenna - even partially. It needs to be able to "see" the satellite.

2) The fewer the connections or splices the better. Even adding the 6-inch Fakra to SMB adapter adds loss between the radio and the actual antenna puck. I decided not to add the Fakra to SMB myself for that very reason - even though I paid $5 extra for the adapter.

Now if I can just solve the AM and FM reception issues!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts