BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I had the same problem with my GT absolutely horrible reception for the XM radio. My solution was to move the XM antenna from under the windshield and console cover over the Garmin GPS unit to the top of my front brake master cylinder. Never had a problem with reception after that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Gotta love a cheap and easy solution - although it would be better if it worked as designed... but sounds like it's been a long standing issue - they probably thought putting it in that snorkel thing was a fix... guess no one tested it... doh!
There's no XM satellites flying over Europe so the only solution for them is an XM app and blue tooth to what ever and the XM app will work just about every where. There's also an FM antenna in that snorkel as well. Maybe one interferes with the other.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Sorry, forgot to update this forum- all was fine until I rode with my passenger and I completely lost signal ...BMW NA advised my dealer that they want to try a new antenna which I am still waiting for it to arrive..it's been two weeks now..
Have them move the antenna to on top of the master brake cylinder. Doesn't look pretty but works flawlessly. I used the magnets that came with it and emblem tape holds them in place. If I had to move it out of the way to get to the master cylinder it's a snap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The first attempt I did was with a cheap square antenna from amazon and it didn't work out so well. Then I bought the antenna and extension wire from BMW that was used in the 2018 K1600 that works flawlessly. I don't know if it's a case of impedance matching or what, but my XM reception is perfect 99% of the time. XM signals work on line of sight, if I hover my hand over the antenna I lose reception. So placement of the antenna is of great importance if you want constant XM reception. The original pod design behind the windshield was a stupid idea because the metal arms of the windshield support become a faraday cage when the windshield is raised and that blocks the signal........DUH..........

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I worked on old TRC-97's in Korea A LONG TIME AGO (late 80's)
We had the old lolipop antennas for quad-diversity....

So to keep this thread related, some radio reception thoughts to ponder

I don't know why BMW doesn't do a software modification to allow the Radio Receiver to display Receive Signal Level (RSL) in dB's on the dasy in a troubleshooting menu.
That would give a CLEAR INDICATION of whether or not this is an issue with the antenna getting blocked by the windshield mounts or not.

My thinking is the brackets are either acting as a faraday cage of some sort OR we're getting multi-path reception hitting the antenna from multiple directions and 180 degrees out of phase.

If 180-degrees out of phase the resulting signal in the Receiver is ZERO signal (middle picture found during a quick google of "Phase cancellation")

View attachment 179842

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_interference

One option I'd LOVE to see is if someone with enough mechanical talent and 3D scanning/printing equipment could make those windshield brackets out of a plastic/polymer resin instead of metal.
Obviously they may not be as strong, however it would be a great test to prove/disprove the brackets as a source of signal blockage/cancellation.

I know I can just go buy a $20 (ish) antenna on Amazon/eBay/etc but I would much prefer the hidden antenna to function as it should (Though BMW NA told me on a phone call "It is working AS DESIGNED" to which I replied "then that is a shitty/worthless design" LOL

It looks like BMW may be giving me a refund on the radio instead of fixing the issue.

I'm still astounded that they didn't seem to do proper testing of the radio system in the USA before putting it into production.
I understand the difficulty as they would have to ship several test bikes to the USA to do the testing as the XM satellite signal footprint is only over North America & Central America.

View attachment 179843

But still, for a Mfg of their size to not properly test this as well as not provide a fix this IS ridiculous....but I'm the dummy still paying Sirius XM for service LOL (in the hopes BMW will fix this soon)

Dave
The brackets are acting like a faraday cage. As a test, I put my exterior antenna on top of the bike's antenna and as soon as I raised the windshield I lost the signal albeit I could raise the windshield higher than the stock location but still ended up losing the signal.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Here's the AM antenna on my '22 RT (the white object on the right). After unplugging it and plugging in a (cheapo) rod antenna off Amazon I went from zero stations to many. There is a similar antenna on the other side for FM. Given my simple test - I can only conclude the BMW supplied antenna isn't fit for purpose. BMW support offered a pathetic resolution - take it to my dealer where they could compare my bike to another bike and if the other bike got stations and mine didn't, then they would replace the antenna. They seemed to have missed the obvious point that if there are multiple bad antennas (which MANY riders report), their test wouldn't work. Doh!

View attachment 179935
Might be a defective parts. My AM and FM work just fine on my 2021 RT using the same antennas. Just a thought ...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts