BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone identify this part on a new RT? It appear to be some sort of antennae 🤷🏽‍♂️
A5B848A1-29F9-4A6B-803C-2836D6881D1A.jpeg
444ADF45-B018-4DD9-AB86-9DE38A8C106F.jpeg
9E552BC3-E398-4882-A7C0-6BC03B8E567B.jpeg

·
Registered
102 Posts
That bike doesn't look as though it has the active speed control ("adaptive" is BMW speak for "ordinary" cruise control but with added downhill braking as far as I understand the manual) - it doesn't appear to have the radar "window" at the front. Don't you guys over there have some sort of satellite radio system? I'd guess it's the antenna for that.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a guess, but perhaps it's for the adaptive cruise control?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I have the exact same bike but without the aforementioned part and I have the adaptive cruise control as well. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That bike doesn't look as though it has the active speed control ("adaptive" is BMW speak for "ordinary" cruise control but with added downhill braking as far as I understand the manual) - it doesn't appear to have the radar "window" at the front. Don't you guys over there have some sort of satellite radio system? I'd guess it's the antenna for that.
You can clearly see the radar emitter in the second picture. I’m thinking it could be a Sirius/XM satellite antenna but my last 2017 RT was equipped with Sirius/XM and had no external antenna. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mushroom on the top is the Sirius antenna and the little square box just under the headlight is the Adaptive cruise control.
I couldn’t think of another purpose for it. How do you know this? Just curious. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a guess, but perhaps it's for the adaptive cruise control?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
The radar emitter for the adaptive cruise control is shown clearly in the second pic just below the center headlight. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I couldn’t think of another purpose for it. How do you know this? Just curious. Thanks for reply
I have been looking at pictures of the 21RT for some time now and it came up somewhere. I have to say I am not sure if I like it. I don't know how previous bikes dealt with it but it looks like some sort of "Growth"

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
191 Posts
Looks like it's some transformer accessory, perhaps it's a decepticon detector? 😁 In reality it's most likely the XM antenna. What's the owners manual and dealer say?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The mushroom on the top is the Sirius antenna and the little square box just under the headlight is the Adaptive cruise control.
It's either that or the antennae/receiver for the DAB. In the past, the SAT receiver was buried, I think inside the front dash, and if there is one there still, then it definitely the DAB.

I also have been looking at a lot of pictures of the '21 RT, and figure that the top of that thing would be the perfect place to mount the remote display for my V1 radar detector! ;)

PS: The new radio comes with DAB+ capability. One of the thing that I wanted to play with! For those who don't know, this is what DAB is: Digital audio broadcasting - Wikipedia

·
Registered
14 Posts
The radar emitter for the adaptive cruise control is shown clearly in the second pic just below the center headlight. Thanks for reply.
Looks like it's some transformer accessory, perhaps it's a decepticon detector? 😁 In reality it's most likely the XM antenna. What's the owners manual and dealer say?
Time travel,flux capacitor

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ask the dealer Friday when I picked up my bike and he said it was the XM antenna. I had never een this on any of the pictures before so was very curious, My bike does not have a radio (currently) but came with the radio prep package for a "down the road sometime" install. It definitely looks odd and I wish it was smaller. Might be a good spot to mount a Go Pro camera

·
Cat Herder
1,560 Posts
It's a Hoopa Juup... If it is the XM antenna its about time they moved it so it will actually work well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts