BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Lightest weight modular helmet these days, and one that doesn't contain a sun visor--I have prescription graduated shaded glasses I ride with where the lower part is only very lightly shaded making it better for reading dash instruments. My RF-1200 is now pushing 8y/o and I'm having trouble discarding it dispite the handy recommendation to replace them every 5y or so because the inner liners and outer shell have presumably deteriorated. OTOH, I've read Shoei's Snell rating is actually not particularly good for actual protection--it's too strong and doesn't absorb impact as much as it should to reduce head injury risk, or so the article claimed.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
32 Posts
I'm on a 2012 RT and one thing I've seen on all these older bikes with what I guess is an LCD screen is that they are terrible in sunlight. Very dim in bright sun, the digits and icons are small and the clear plastic cover reflects your image to the point I can no longer wear a high vis jacket. All you see is a yellow reflection in the instrument face. I slide the helmet's sun visor just low enough to break the sun's glare otherwise the screen is completely unreadable.
Very poor design and it's not just BMW with this problem. All that era's manufacturers seemed to have the same problem. The old Honda STs are so bad there is a company that takes your old instrument and rebuilds it with LEDs.
With the RT, I have to bob my head around to see anything in the silly mirrors anyway, so I guess I'm used to adjusting my line of sight to see the instruments too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm like NoelCP and wear gradient sunglasses. The lighter tint on the bottom of the sunglasses makes reading everything easier. I had readers added to the lenses and the prescription adjusted for the distance to the gauges. My ZumoXT is right above the gauges so now I can see everything perfect, even the hard to read LCD panel on my '13RT.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Speaking of light helmets, I was pretty impressed with the difference when I went from a Schuberth C4Pro to the C4Pro Carbon, the 1/2 lb less weight is very noticeable. It also has a bit more flex and is easier to get on. A very comfortable helmet out of the box that didn't really need any break-in.

·
Registered
2021 719 Mineral White 1250RT
20 Posts
I wear a System 7 Carbon with the OEM communication system that I got in Brazil. Super light. I wish they would sell it in US/Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. When my C3 Pro wore out I switched to an AGV Sport Modular, the sun screen goes all the way or at least 99 % of the way down, also lighter by a tiny bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm on a 2012 RT and one thing I've seen on all these older bikes with what I guess is an LCD screen is that they are terrible in sunlight. Very dim in bright sun, the digits and icons are small and the clear plastic cover reflects your image to the point I can no longer wear a high vis jacket. All you see is a yellow reflection in the instrument face. I slide the helmet's sun visor just low enough to break the sun's glare otherwise the screen is completely unreadable.
Very poor design and it's not just BMW with this problem. All that era's manufacturers seemed to have the same problem. The old Honda STs are so bad there is a company that takes your old instrument and rebuilds it with LEDs.
With the RT, I have to bob my head around to see anything in the silly mirrors anyway, so I guess I'm used to adjusting my line of sight to see the instruments too.
Are you able to tilt the dash? My 2017 has the capability to tilt the dash up or down. If you can do that, it might help with the reflection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also found the RT’s mirrors too low, just not because of my helmet (also a Neotec and I’m 6’0” sitting on a Russell Day-long at low setting, FWIW). I found the low OEM mirrors were obscured when I mounted Hippohands or bungied sleeping bags to the top of the side cases or strapped my tent across the rear seat.

My solution was to get OEM handlebar clamps of a R1200GS for the front brake and clutch. These come with threaded mounts for mirrors. Then I screwed in Wunderlich after-market mirrors, which served as my primary mirrors.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

When adjusted correctly, the after-market mirrors just barely make contact with the windshield at full lock. I pushed the OEM mirrors out as far as they could go so that they’d provide some blind-spot visibility, at least when I’m not using the Hippohands. I paid $8 for both clamps, uncharacteristically cheap for BMW part.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
41 Posts
No. The '21 bike dash is fixed, no adjustment available.
I know there's a sun visor from Wunderlich for the 6.5 inch LCD display... wonder if there is something similar for the ~10 inch one on the newer RTs...

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
443 Posts
wonder if there is something similar for the ~10 inch one
If it is, I never heard of it, which of course doesn't mean it is not. Does not really need it though, the screen is bright enough even in direct sunlight to be readable, assuming average but correction free (i.e. no glasses) eyes. We do get a lot of sunlight down this way ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts