BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I've just upgraded from a 2011 R1200Rt to the 2021 R1250 RT. Wow!!!

I've always been a fan of modulars, using the Shoei Neotec 2 most recently. The problem I am having is that because the instrumentation and mirrors are placed lower than my previous bike, I find that the "edge" of the internal sun visor is right in the middle of the mirrors and TFT display. This bothered me so much I stopped using the modular, mostly because of safety and obstructed view of mirrors.

I'm curious if anyone else is having a similar issue and if any suggestions? I miss using my modular.

Blair
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
115 Posts
I wear a Schuberth C3Pro and have not noticed the issue you mentioned. I guess I must move my head when I'm checking my mirrors and TFT. The next time I ride I will pay more attention. I do at times wear my Shoei J cruise (3/4 Helmet) because It gives me an unobstructed view so I get what your saying

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all.

I've always been a fan of modulars, using the Shoei Neotec 2 most recently. The problem I am having is that because the instrumentation and mirrors are placed lower than my previous bike, I find that the "edge" of the internal sun visor is right in the middle of the mirrors and TFT display. This bothered me so much I stopped using the modular, mostly because of safety and obstructed view of mirrors.

I'm curious if anyone else is having a similar issue and if any suggestions? I miss using my modular.

Blair
Kelowna, BC, Canada

View attachment 176538
Nice bike. Ride safely.

I got the Nolan N 70-2 GT. Wore it on a 200 mile trip two weeks ago and it is just right for me. Take a look at it: Nolan N70-2 GT Helmet - RevZilla

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Neotec 2 and haven't had a problem with the edge of the sun visor. Are you sure the sun visor is coming down fully? Mine goes very low so the edge is nowhere near my field of view.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wear a Schuberth C3Pro and have not noticed the issue you mentioned. I guess I must move my head when I'm checking my mirrors and TFT. The next time I ride I will pay more attention. I do at times wear my Shoei J cruise (3/4 Helmet) because It gives me an unobstructed view so I get what your saying
Many thanks. I'll test a Schuberth ensuring I actually sit on my bike and ensure the view is unobstructed. I forgot to mention I'm 5' 10.5'', not sure if we are similar in height.

Cheers.
Blair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Neotec 2 and haven't had a problem with the edge of the sun visor. Are you sure the sun visor is coming down fully? Mine goes very low so the edge is nowhere near my field of view.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm 5' 10.5 '' , curious if you are similar in height?

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
115 Posts
Many thanks. I'll test a Schuberth ensuring I actually sit on my bike and ensure the view is unobstructed. I forgot to mention I'm 5' 10.5'', not sure if we are similar in height.

Cheers.
Blair
Pretty close, I'm 5'11"

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Shoei NeoTec II also but am a little confused with your problem. The sunshade adjuster is the friction type so why not just move it to where this is not a problem? Never noticed this as an issue on my 21 RT and I am 5' 11".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello all.

Blair
Kelowna, BC, Canada

View attachment 176538

Hello all.

Blair
Kelowna, BC, Canada

View attachment 176538
I use an HJC C90 and I have the same problem. I also cannot wear my prescription Polaroid sunglasses as the TFT becomes unreadable. I found this first on a GS demonstration bike. I had hoped that choosing to buy a 2020 RT, instead of waiting for the 21 model, with analog instrumentation and no TFT would loose this, WRONG the whole digital screen is hard to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Klim tk1200 w/transitions shield, works great.
Amazing, I didn't even know transition lenses existed for motorcycles. I have a great respect for Klim products and will look further. Are you happy with the time required during transitions? It is dark enough on a full-on sunny day? Many thanks for your thoughts.
Blair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Shoei NeoTec II also but am a little confused with your problem. The sunshade adjuster is the friction type so why not just move it to where this is not a problem? Never noticed this as an issue on my 21 RT and I am 5' 11".
Hey, thanks for jumping in. In my mind, the sunshade should slide low enough that I can view my rear mirrors through the tinted region, as well as my instrumentation. With the sunshade fully extended down, the edge is right in the middle of both.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
Amazing, I didn't even know transition lenses existed for motorcycles. I have a great respect for Klim products and will look further. Are you happy with the time required during transitions? It is dark enough on a full-on sunny day? Many thanks for your thoughts.
Blair
I've been using on my shoei helmets for a few years now. They are great. Not as dark as a dark shield, maybe between medium dark and dark but definitely dark enough for a sunny Texas day. Takes a few seconds to switch but you never really notice it.

Only Shoei, Bell and Klim have them and only certain helmets.

·
Registered
220 Posts
While I'm on the 15 RT, I've never had that issue with the Shoei Neotec II.
That said, I had a bad case of gravity as a child and stopped at 5' 7"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since I wear a progressive lens prescription, the sunshade in my Neotec II is generally in the area where I'm looking as I need to turn my head to keep what I want to see in the center of my vision. Not having to change into sunglasses when I get on the bike now has been a real godsend. Progressive sunglasses are very expensive and were necessary to be able to read the bike information screen and GPS before switching to the Neotec II.

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Cobalt Black; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
184 Posts
I've been using on my shoei helmets for a few years now. They are great. Not as dark as a dark shield, maybe between medium dark and dark but definitely dark enough for a sunny Texas day. Takes a few seconds to switch but you never really notice it.

Only Shoei, Bell and Klim have them and only certain helmets.
I've got a Schuberth C3 with C3Pro headband...much more comfortable. I've used clear shields since I started riding at age 18 or so. In 2021, I went to the Great Falls, MT BMW MOA national rally and did a motocamping trip with friends for a couple weeks after. Before the trip, I bought a light grey shield for the C3. I could barely tell any difference between it and clear, but once on and out riding in the hot sun, the temp inside the helmet in direct sun felt about 15 degrees cooler to me. I rode a couple of short rides at night on the trip and I could tell a difference with the tint, but it wasn't horrid or dangerous. For long rides in the summer, these grey shields are pretty great.

To the rider who's having trouble with polarized prescription glasses, all polarized glasses make problems for not only TFT but helmet shields and bike windscreens. I use a pair of standard Serengeti "driver" non-polarized brown shaded glasses for riding. They are spectacular in sun, rain etc. Contrast is better, the sky is gorgeous and they're not so dark but protect eyes from all UV. I forget they're on. I've actually been known to look frantically for my sunglasses only to find that I'm wearing them. I've tried a lot of shades and standard Drivers are still my go-to for riding and driving. Sadly, Serengeti seems to only make polarized now. I buy used on eBay. They work just like new.

When it's really bright, though, like heading into the sun, I use my flip-down visor in addition to the Drivers. I use the visor halfway down many times so I can see what I need to see below the sun-line, like gages and rear-view, but the visor cuts out the sun intensity in the upper half of my view. Then, if it's really, really bad, I flip the helmet up and use the chin bar to completely block the sun. It works and gives me some air at low/no speed as well. This the the ticket in late afternoon stop and go traffic. I know it's not "safe" but neither is overheating and sun blindness.

Reactions: wspollack
1 - 20 of 32 Posts