BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also prefer track up, and you can make that setting regardless of zoom setting. As for contrast, I have been thinking of using "Night Mode" to see if that makes any difference. I like to see details of side roads, but zoomed out further, because I love to explore. Many times, I would come up on a road and take it just because it looked interesting, and it's handy to know that it's not a short dead-end road or anything like that.
I was also thinking about "Night Mode" to see if that helped. Maybe you could try it today? Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I will be off in a few minutes, and this time I will be following a route, for the same interests that you have. This one was made up on Basecamp (my preference) with start and end point and 3 or 4 shaping points. Imported into the app as GPX file. I intend to deviate from the route at times and see what happen. Of course, I will report it. Next one will be with 1 or more stops and shaping points, and see how it handle that!
I’ve found that exported BaseCamp GPX files will not import into the BMW app with the Waypoints option, just Route and Track. I think to get waypoint alerts you’ll need to use some routing tool that will import into the BMW app with the Waypoints option.

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Don't forget how good the stock horn is on the 2021. just put my 7Jurock windshield on looks good
That's for sure!! Personally, I don't even use the horn at all while driving or riding, but I have hit this one by accident and it is very loud!

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
This post will be strictly on Navigation!

First, I will upgrade my rating for the Nav to a solid B from B-, based on the experience of yesterday's ride.

Connectivity - I lost the wifi connectivity, and therefore Map-Mode, twice on yesterday's ride. First time was after about 80 miles on the route, but it recovered itself by reconnecting automatically, and then going back into the Map-Mode. Good! It also connected into Map-Mode automatically after I had made a rest stop for 1/2 hour or so, and then restarted. The second disconnect was at the very end of my ride, when I stopped to fill up, as I always do, about a mile from my house. When I rode from the station, the Map-Mode failed to connect. Going into the menu and telling it to connect didn't work either. I was still testing the guide direction, and so had it guiding me home, and even though Map-Mode was disconnected, the turn-by-turn direction was quite active, with audio directions and all! As far as I am concerned, that is quite fine, as long as the Nav will get me to where it's supposed to, it's functional enough for me. Besides, we hope that BMW will fix this in the software revision.

Night Mode - THAT is the trick to get all of the details showing on the map!!! Great contrasts as soon as I turned it on. The only slight negative is that, since the mode turns the background blue-black, the blue of streams, rivers, and any body of water now becomes a very low contrast to the background. Not an issue for me. I then set the view back to what it was at default, which is perspective view and the auto-zoom to on, keeping the Night-Mode on, and I can see all of the small side roads clearly visible even when the map zoomed out! One curious thing about the map details though. It seems that long private driveways, even a relatively short ones serving 2 houses, will show up on the map!

Navigating a Route - I had imported a test route to my phone, and it is very interesting to see that, the route consisting of start and destination points with 3 or 4 shaping way points in between, turned into a route with something like 920 waypoints, at least according to the app! The very first thing that I found out, when I was ready to ride, was that, no, you canNOT access the route that's on the phone! You have to start the route in the app on your phone in order for the bike to "see" it and follow. A little inconvenient, but I guess it's OK once you know the routine. The directing along the route was perfect, and as I had already mentioned, I think that it's more precise than Garmin when it comes time to make a turn. The fist zinger that I threw at the nav was about 2/3 of the way on that route. At this point, the route planned made a big V to go around the bottom of a lake. However, one of my favorite rest stop is below the dam that forms this lake, and so a few miles before the bottom of the V, I turned off the route to go to my rest stop. The result was as I had hoped for, and that is the Nav tried its best to direct me back onto the planned route, all the way to my rest stop when I shut the bike off. On start up, 1/2 hour later, everything connected up automatically after the bike is switched on, and the directions came back to show me how to get back to where I broke off from the planned route. So, I threw it the second zinger, and headed in the opposite direction to what it tried to get me to go. What I did was to make my way across to the other leg of that V without resuming where I broke off! Once I had gotten closer to the other leg of the V, the Nav switched over to show me the shortest way to the route on that other leg! Very good. When I reached that road, the Nav directed me to continue on the planned route. Excellent, that is exactly what I want my Nav to do!! Perfect score in my book!

Route Info Setting - in all of the above, I had set this setting to "Destination". I am not quite sure what this is, but the other setting is "Waypoint". My next test is going to be a route with at least one planned stop as waypoint, and again created in Basecamp. I suspect that I should set this setting to "Waypoint", and I will do just that.

Overall, I am happy with this Nav. Enough to think about selling my Nav V at this time! The '21 RT Nav isn't as good as Nav V, but it's enough for me!

Reactions: JanScott66

·
Registered
321 Posts
@PadG Have a read at this email that I sent to BMW, it shows photos from the BMW Youtube video about importing a route. You can import a track with just support points i.e. GPS co-ordinates or a route with waypoints, but here is the "Zinger" the waypoints do not show up in the BMW App. They are there, but you can't see them. To get Waypoints into the App you need MyRouteApp or another Route planning system. I can get them in using MyRouteApp.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
Pad, Glad to hear you finally got your new bike! Best of luck and love the color!! I think I may like it better than my Manhattan Metallic. As for the new dash, I have already been vocal about the styling or lack there of. A little design integration to make it more pleasing on the eye would have been nice.

I am jealous of the adaptive cruise, as I like it in my car. Thought the new revision is certainly nice as a whole, but I am not second guessing myself with my new 2020 purchased in April. I am happy with my Couch Rocket!

Rick G

Reactions: PadG

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
@PadG Have a read at this email that I sent to BMW, it shows photos from the BMW Youtube video about importing a route. You can import a track with just support points i.e. GPS co-ordinates or a route with waypoints, but here is the "Zinger" the waypoints do not show up in the BMW App. They are there, but you can't see them. To get Waypoints into the App you need MyRouteApp or another Route planning system. I can get them in using MyRouteApp.

Thanks David, but I had already read all of your stuff when you had first post them! It's a bit different when one experience it for oneself.

For others - I noticed that when the GPX file is imported, the app give you two options, which are already checked, and you can leave both cheched or uncheck the one that you don't want. They will appear as two separate route. The two options are:"Waypoints" and "Route". I had just imported another GPX for my next test. That route consist of 3 waypoints (home, stop place, and destination) along with several shaping points.

"Waypoint" selection will import just the 3 main waypoints, and I am assuming that the Nav will use these 3 waypoints to navigate using it's own algorithm based on your setting (fast, or winding, or . . .whatever). That would be logical. It ignored all of the shaping waypoints that I had in the route. Number of waypoint listed by the app is 3.

"Route" selection will take all of the shaping waypoints into account, but seem to see that "stop" waypoint as one of the shaping waypoint! So, this selection will give me the route that I want to ride quite precisely, but will it recognize and tell me about the stop waypoint? We shall see. This is the one that I will be riding tomorrow, weather permitting. The number of wayponts reported for this option is something like 980!

Reactions: JanScott66

·
Registered
321 Posts
The maximum number of way points supported by the App is 50. What you are seeing as 980 are Support points which are just GPS coordinates. Essentially the GPS coordinates of the route you have loaded.

Have a look at the routes with the ITN Converter.

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The maximum number of way points supported by the App is 50. What you are seeing as 980 are Support points which are just GPS coordinates. Essentially the GPS coordinates of the route you have loaded.

Have a look at the routes with the ITN Converter.
Thanks David. I remembered the 50 that you had so mentioned.

Tomorrow, I am going to use the imported route with the 3 waypoints instead of the precise route. I will not ride the route that the Nav will be telling me for most of the way, and see what will happen, in particular regarding the middle waypoint! I will try to remember to set the route info to "Waypoint" on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Pad, Glad to hear you finally got your new bike! Best of luck and love the color!! I think I may like it better than my Manhattan Metallic. As for the new dash, I have already been vocal about the styling or lack there of. A little design integration to make it more pleasing on the eye would have been nice.

I am jealous of the adaptive cruise, as I like it in my car. Thought the new revision is certainly nice as a whole, but I am not second guessing myself with my new 2020 purchased in April. I am happy with my Couch Rocket!

Rick G
Those are the choice that we make! Feb. 2020, I was going to order the 2020 RT, but literally 2 days before I was planning to go in to see Pam and place the order, the stock market took a huge drop because of COVID. That made me pause and decided to keep my money to make more from the stock market! I thrive on fluctuating stock market. How did I do? Let's just say that I can easily consider that this '21 RT was bought for "free", with a lot more money left over. ;)

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Cobalt Black; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
166 Posts
Re your comment on the seat - after 7 BMW's, I'm convinced they put the apprentice designer on the seat project! Seems to be hard to get it right for some reason. I have just fitted a Sargent seat to my RT and it's made a significant difference but I've still only done 500k's on it so time will tell. In the past I've had a couple of aftermarket seats, gel pads and sheepskin - everything is an improvement on the standard seat. In my opinion, it's definitely worth investigating options - especially if you like touring.
...Then again, if you don't like touring, you probably don't want an RT in the first place!!!

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Cobalt Black; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
166 Posts
Agreed. 1-2-3 are pretty clunky. Unsettling so with a passenger and no backrest. 3-4-5-6 are like butter.
Ya...most of the time, I use the clutch in the 1-2 and 2-3. 3-4 works fine and up.

However....the real magic is the DOWNSHIFTS. On my '17, the throttle must be fully closed, but then you get very quick, smooth downshifts that are from heaven when you're hustling the bike into slow corners from speed. ...Try it! But...DO NOT try it with the throttle open at all...any position but fully closed, it doesn't operate and you get awful behavior. :alien:

Reactions: Diablo53
61 - 74 of 74 Posts