BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, got to pick up my new RT from the dealer this Wednesday (7/14). Rode over on my '15 RT, and rode back on the '21 RT. Just 15 miles. That's all I have on the clock at the moment, and so this will be a real first impression, and I will add more as I progress with my usual long local rides, hopefully (weather permitting) starting on Sunday. Here are some quick observations, as compared to the '15 RT:

1. Riding Experience - it was very much as I expected. The bike is basically the same as the wethead, and therefore I had expected the handling to be pretty much the same. It was. I did think that it was a little more nimble, but that could have been because of the new tires (Metzler Roadtec Z8). Perhaps what I mentioned in #4 below has something to do with it?

2. Gear Shift - this went well beyond what I had expected! The shifting on the '15 RT had been good (for me), in all gears both up and down. The '21 RT beat it all by a very long shot! Shifting was extremely smooth and silent through all gears. Can't tell you about neutral to 1st because I don't use neutral at all, at any time while riding. I expect this to be better still after a few 1,000 miles to get the gear train broken in!

3. Seat Height - when I first got on, I was quite sure that the seat height had felt higher than what I was used to. It was significant enough for me to notice. Later, much later, I realize what that was! The load setting on the bike was set to "Auto" (that's what I would have set it to anyway), and therefore the spring pre-load is set to different amount depending on the detected weight! At 180 pounds, that's not much weight.

4. Weight Distribution - when I got home, and took the bike into the garage, I positioned it, as per routine, over my Park-n-Move (to spin the bike around 180 deg.). Put it up on the center stand, on top of the Park-n-Move, and tried to rotate the bike. Hard! The weight of the new RT is more biased to the front, such that it took a lot more efforts for me to push down on the grab-rail to put less weight on the front wheel! Not only that, but I had an incident that I won't bore you with, and that incident showed me quite clearly that the center-stand mount position on the bike have been moved forward by perhaps as much as an inch! So, overall the weight distribution of the bike, forward is significantly more than that of the wetheads!

5. Maintenance Charging - after several minutes of fooling around, I decided that I had forgotten to plug in my charger, as per normal routine. When I plugged it into the rear aux. socket, as I always had done in the past, the LED on the charger went into rapid blinks in red, indicating fault, or short! Now, that's not nice! Unplug and plug back in, and same result. Unplug, turn on the bike and then plug the charger in. Success. LED shows solid red, indicating that full output (1.25 amps) is being directed to charging. That's what I expect to see. It turns out that this RT requires the charger to be plugged in before the computer had shut down the network, just like the case with my prior '07 RT. This is different than the wethead, because I had found that the charger can be plugged into my '15 RT at any times and the charging will occur automatically. The difference to the '07 RT is that, with the '07 RT, if I plug the charger in after the network had shut down, then the charger LED would show solid green, indicating that zero current is flowing, or an open circuit, while the rapid blinking red, in this case, shows a short.

6. Connectivity - no real data yet, but I note that my phone (Pixel 4a-5G) will launch the BMW Connect app automatically (after the initial first connection) whenever the RT is turned on, and make the connection without me having to do so! The app was NOT running in the background, when I made this discovery.

7. Shield - almost forgot! The "sports shield" on this bike is very nice. It will be perfect for what I want, which is for local riding in the hot summer months. I had saved my Werks Quiet Ride shield off the '15 RT for the new bike, for traveling. I was ready to modify or put in new mounting holes, if needs be! Here's the good news, for those with the same shield who might want to use them on a '21 RT. It looks to me as if the mounting holes are identical, and I won't have to make any modifications at all! I will confirm this when I make the change in a couple of weeks, or three!

That's about it. I will add more as I add miles, hopefully very quickly, once the weather clear. In the meantime, I have to get the crash bars installed, rekey the topcase (already repainted to matching color), and get the other stuff installed.

Here's a couple of photos of the bike:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good to see you have the best colour. Regarding point 5, maybe it depends on the charger you use? I use a BMW charger and it doesn't seem to matter when I plug it into the bike, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks Pad
I noticed from the photo that the front seat has been reshaped. There is a noticeable "flat" part added to the seat. It sticks out in the photo due to the shadow it created. This definitely doesn't and never has existed on my 2014.

·
Registered
484 Posts
7. Shield - almost forgot! The "sports shield" on this bike is very nice. It will be perfect for what I want, which is for local riding in the hot summer months. I had saved my Werks Quiet Ride shield off the '15 RT for the new bike, for traveling. I was ready to modify or put in new mounting holes, if needs be! Here's the good news, for those with the same shield who might want to use them on a '21 RT. It looks to me as if the mounting holes are identical, and I won't have to make any modifications at all! I will confirm this when I make the change in a couple of weeks, or three!
The screen for the 2021 RT we have on a couple prototype rides.....is FAR from the same mounting. The new version we have is simply two holes on each side that a rubber grommet fits into. Even those holes are different from the earlier version. The Wethead/Shifthead have 3 holes on each side with the middle hole on each side the one that locator shoulder fasteners fit into.
Very interested in what you will find with yours!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Indeed - the screen on my 2021 has a different mounting to that on my 2019. I have yet to see any of the usual "outlets" offering a "comfort screen" for the 2021 - although of course most of them are based in the EU and are now, for us, subject to import duties. I guess one should, in theory, be able to order the "standard" screen from a dealer.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
60 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. And good choice going with the fastest color...I mean it does have racing in the name after all. 😎 😄

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good Review
i recieved my 2021 Rt opt 719 June third that Saturday I went on what I hoped was a 600 mile loop arount calif.
Got almost 400 miles pulled into a rest stop for some water and she wouldn't start.
Called the bmw road service it was a pretty bad experience, until they had a shift change and someone with half a brain came on and found a tow service at 10:00 Sat night. they towed it to fresno bmw where it sat until the next week whan A&S kindly offered to drive down and pick it up.
Turns out it was a shorted starter that also took out the starter relay. its all good now as soon as i get a new windshield i'm gonna repeat the ride down hwy 1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great 1st review. So did your bike come with the radio or just the radio prep pkg? Mine has radio prep whatever that means.
Mark T.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to see you have the best colour. Regarding point 5, maybe it depends on the charger you use? I use a BMW charger and it doesn't seem to matter when I plug it into the bike, as far as I can tell.
If you can plug yours in at any time, then yes it seem that BMW had changed something to make it so! I am fairly sure that the BMW branded charger is just a rebranded commercial one. My charger is one of the "intelligent" type charger, but its technology is more that 10 years old, having bought it to use with my prior '07 RT. I had no problems plugging it in at any time with the '15 RT. As long as it works at all, I have no issues with it!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Pad
I noticed from the photo that the front seat has been reshaped. There is a noticeable "flat" part added to the seat. It sticks out in the photo due to the shadow it created. This definitely doesn't and never has existed on my 2014.
Very observant!!! I had forgotten to mention that I had also felt that the seat, which is a low seat (same as for the '15 RT), felt a little more comfortable than on the '15 RT. Seats needs to be broken in as well, and it can only get better! I will address that some more, if the weather will permit me to take the 250 miles ride that I want to do.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The screen for the 2021 RT we have on a couple prototype rides.....is FAR from the same mounting. The new version we have is simply two holes on each side that a rubber grommet fits into. Even those holes are different from the earlier version. The Wethead/Shifthead have 3 holes on each side with the middle hole on each side the one that locator shoulder fasteners fit into.
Very interested in what you will find with yours!
I was just looking at the hole positions! I hope that I can make changes to make it fit, but I will know better when I have the stock screen off. I definitely will report on it.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could that be the "low" seat? My standard seat doesn't look like that.
Yep! I usually ride with low seat in high position. With a 30 inch inseam, my legs isn't long, and the most difficulties that I have is trying to back-up. I can barely do it in most situations with that set-up, but if I have real issues, then it is possible for me to simply drop the seat into the low position and get good foot-grips!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Review
i recieved my 2021 Rt opt 719 June third that Saturday I went on what I hoped was a 600 mile loop arount calif.
Got almost 400 miles pulled into a rest stop for some water and she wouldn't start.
Called the bmw road service it was a pretty bad experience, until they had a shift change and someone with half a brain came on and found a tow service at 10:00 Sat night. they towed it to fresno bmw where it sat until the next week whan A&S kindly offered to drive down and pick it up.
Turns out it was a shorted starter that also took out the starter relay. its all good now as soon as i get a new windshield i'm gonna repeat the ride down hwy 1
Ouch!! That is why I want to rack up as many miles as I can before making the long trip in a few weeks!

Reactions: andybrwn

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great 1st review. So did your bike come with the radio or just the radio prep pkg? Mine has radio prep whatever that means.
Mark T.
I don't know of any new RT WITH radio in the US!! Canada? There are at least 4, and possibly 5 that I know of!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beautiful bike. That blue reminds me of the blue on my first BMW, a K75S. What a great bike that was. It's amazing how sophisticated our bikes have become. A bit scary, though!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful bike. That blue reminds me of the blue on my first BMW, a K75S. What a great bike that was. It's amazing how sophisticated our bikes have become. A bit scary, though!
Thanks! I love blue! The "San Marino Blue" on my '15 RT that I had traded in is almost the same as this "Racing Blue" on this bike. This one has a milky cast to the blue over the very slightly darker clear blue on the '15.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I received my blue one 2 weeks ago. As I live in Canada, it came with the radio installed. I quickly put on 700km and then went in for its first service. Right after that we went on a 1500Km trip. I came from a K1300s and then a R1000RR. I am amazed how well this bike handles for its size. It did not take long to feel comfortable to be able to throw it into the corners at speed...the wife kept poking me to go faster! I am not one to use navigation, so I cannot comment on this, however, the bike did connect every time to my phone and displayed the posted road speed on the left, which I found nice. The seat, for me and my wife, is the most uncomfortable piece of crap that I ever had the misfortune of sitting on. During the first 700Km, it took only 45 min to be in agony. We picked up some inflatable seat pads, which really helped on the longer trip, but this is one area where I really need to figure out a solution. The short wind screen I find to be just a tad too low. It could stand to be a few inches taller. I might see if someone with the taller screen is interested in trading for my sport version. The only other issue is a problem with the adaptive cruise. When I set the cruise control, I get a error that states that the distance has been disabled. The cruise control works well, but I am not able to set the adaptive part. Not a big issue. The service guys said that they have seen this on another bike and are waiting to hear back from the mother-ship on a work around for it. All in all, I am very happy with this bike. I am in the process of obtaining the required tools to be able to complete the valve work that is required every 20K. This will be the last bike that I purchase, so I am hoping that I get a few hundred K out of it.

Craig

1 - 20 of 84 Posts