BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I test drove a new RT (I have never ridden an RT before) and noticed it has a vibration from the engine throughout the bike and into the handle bars. I was primarily in 3-4 gear and cruising on side streets - no highway riding. Is this normal for the RT and its type of engine? I ask as my LT was much smoother as well as my Triumph tiger.

Has anyone put vibration damping devices to lesson this?

I know it could just be me being particular but I really need a new bike that has no vibrations.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi,
I test drove a new RT (I have never ridden an RT before) and noticed it has a vibration from the engine throughout the bike and into the handle bars. I was primarily in 3-4 gear and cruising on side streets - no highway riding. Is this normal for the RT and its type of engine? I ask as my LT was much smoother as well as my Triumph tiger.

I know it could just be me being particular but I really need a new bike that has no vibrations.

Thanks in advance
Twins vibrate, I have heavier bar end weights on my 18 but still a tiny bit of vibration.

The K1600 has 0 vibration

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
531 Posts
What RPM's were you running? When you're down in that 2k range, you'll be feeling the pulses of the twin cylinders. Running the RPM's higher will smooth it out more.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
I also suspect that the OP is running at low rpm!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance
The K1200LT motor mount have rubber motor mounts, I liked that with my 2K LT however the K100 and K1100 not as isolated and had a bit of vibration.
You can keep the RT vibration to a minimum by the rpm range you are using - if you want 0 vibration try a K1600.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unfortunately the vibration of the RT is why we are on a B, my wife is very susceptible to vibration and when we switched from our Ultra Classic to a Concours 14 that pretty much ruined my chances of ever going back to a twin for 2up duty. We did demo an RT as well as the K bikes and of course we know which one ended up in the garage....

JJ
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
The little vibration that is left from around 3K RPM is known as "Character", quite specific to a boxer engine, but most other type twins have this as well to some degree.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Naturally you notice a twin more than you will a rubber mounted everything inline 4 LT. The 1250RT is exceptionally smooth as big bore twins go, but sounds like it's not the right bike for you.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
44 Posts
As the boxers break in they begin to smooth out. When my 2021 was new, I had the same concerns, but now at 8K miles it has smoothed out quite a bit throughout the rev range. When new, at 80mph, I was concerned I had bought the wrong bike. But with more miles and a set of grip puppies, it has a nice vibe to it. No not K1600 smooth, you'll need more cylinders for that!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Before I got Illium bar risers vibration was so low the bars barely vibrated at all. Now I get some around 3500rpm. I got heavier bar ends and they quell most of it. just about anything about 4k rpm it's almost dead smooth. If you want totally smooth everywhere in the RPM range get a Goldwing or K1600. You will never find a boxer twin that is totally vibration free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Before I got Illium bar risers vibration was so low the bars barely vibrated at all. Now I get some around 3500rpm. I got heavier bar ends and they quell most of it. just about anything about 4k rpm it's almost dead smooth. If you want totally smooth everywhere in the RPM range get a Goldwing or K1600. You will never find a boxer twin that is totally vibration free.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I suspected that the risers may change/add vibration. Transmitting vibration frequency from the mass of the triple tree to a riser with less mass, your observation makes perfect sense. I would also suspect that when choosing risers, the beefier the better if vibes are a worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Your to picky you will love the rt it will run circles around your lt
lt is only good for long straight runs
they are awsome bikes in fact I was ridding my Harley with a friend that had an lt and thought my bike was louder and more cool. i took his bike for a putt and omg That’s when I fell in love with Bmw, it’s a 900 lb bike that’s so nimble and you can ride for hours and hours and hours with that huge seat and incredible wind protection but as I said you’ll love the RT i am on my fourth rt.

·
Registered
2021 719 Mineral White 1250RT
20 Posts
All twin engine bikes vibrates. Harleys are extreme and RT is on the low end side. The heavy bars and the handlebars helps a lot but not able to complete remove it. I'm on my fifth RT and love it more and more with the 21. Maybe you are just on the wrong bike. Get a 4 cylinder bike or LT

·
Registered
27 Posts
The BMW boxer hates low rpm, as do all twins except parallel twins like the F800 etc. Smooths out quickly after 2k rpm but never loses the buzz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put the HVMP bar weights onto my Rt and it made a huge difference for me. I did a 1697mi 24 hour run with that setup last June and was very comfortable.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
531 Posts
If you have a bit higher frequency vibes in the bars, Grip Puppies takes that out pretty well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put the HVMP bar weights onto my Rt and it made a huge difference for me. I did a 1697mi 24 hour run with that setup last June and was very comfortable.

These are what I got too. Love them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts