BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
170 Posts
Has the -50 software improved the actual map being displayed on the TFT from the previous versions so that one
can easily see all roads?

Has the clarity to viewing all roads improved enough to match what the map imagery looks like on the XT?

·
Registered
258 Posts
No improvement on the map display and start up time.
Comparing version _50 to the previous version _40 (iPhone user) I agree that there is no improvement on map display. It is the same. However my start up time is considerably faster - from turning the ignition on to full maps displayed is now around 52 seconds as opposed to around 1 minute 50 seconds on the previous versions. The Bluetooth connection phase appears to be where the gains have been made, turn by turn to full maps displayed (Wi-Fi connection phase) appears about the same as it was. But overall, over half the full connection time.

Reactions: Fast1

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Has the -50 software improved the actual map being displayed on the TFT from the previous versions so that one

Has the clarity to viewing all roads improved enough to match what the map imagery looks like on the XT?
Of course NOT! That had been one of my pet peeve all along. A while back, while communicating with BMW, I even suggest that, to solve the issue that we are faced with, they add contrast control, in addition to the brightness control (already there), to the TFT display to make the smaller roads more visible. I was told that the suggestion had been forwarded to the proper department. That was the last thing that I have heard of it.

Reactions: dpickens and Fast1

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
From my own experience I have found that the only wifi connection that automatically connects should be the bike's wifi. If you have your phone setup to automatically connect to your home wifi the home wifi will win the race and block the bike's wifi.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From my own experience I have found that the only wifi connection that automatically connects should be the bike's wifi. If you have your phone setup to automatically connect to your home wifi the home wifi will win the race and block the bike's wifi.
Worth a try - I will give it a shot later

·
Registered
22 Posts

Day mode is useless in night mode there is more contrast.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I agree, unless you have a route destination going day mode during the day is just about unreadable. I don't know why they can't put more contrast in the roads in the display. Thicker black borders on the roads would do wonders. Night mode is readable all the time but then you lose the contrast colors that show you rivers and lakes. Does anyone have a TomTom nav unit to compare it to. I believe they're using a TomTom based mapping system in this new setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it have to do with the contrast of the TFT screen?
Isn't that the display of the map screens as generated on the smartphone?
If so, then @SvFiat 's question, comparing with a TT device, is very relevant.
Especially here in the Netherlands it is very difficult that the small roads are not visible. Because we have a lot of them :D

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Exactly! Which is the very reason why I had suggested adding contrast control to the TFT.

At the very beginning, I had used the night-mode work-around for several weeks, but didn't like it and came back to the normal modes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is my experience as well.....was working up until 2 weeks ago.
Just an update. I got BMW Support involved. They suggested all the normal steps......reset phone, reset TFT....app permissions, none of which helped.

They then suggested making my home wifi so that it didn't auto join.......and this worked.....go figure......

I have since made my home wifi auto join and the maps have continued to work, so I am a tad confused.........

·
Registered
BMW R1250RT 2021 White
44 Posts
BMW have released an update to the Connected Ride App Ver 4.2.1 (421012) for IOS.

Today was the 1st ride after purchasing the bike, June last year, where everything worked as expected. And a clear spring like day out of our winter and prolific deluges.

Only on 1st launch, asked wifi connection permission. Stopped several times on the 70k trip from 10 mins to 40 mins. System fully up and running within 60 secs, no dropouts.

Running .50 firmware, iPhone 12 mini (vanilla bike phone) latest firmware.

Will happily be retaining the Garmin Zumo XT as it always works and provides additional environmental information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Watching BMW wrestle with their custom app and display is like watching 8th graders try to program robots at tech camp (my apologies to all the 8th graders I just offended).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
BMW have released an update to the Connected Ride App Ver 4.2.1 (421012) for IOS.

Today was the 1st ride after purchasing the bike, June last year, where everything worked as expected. And a clear spring like day out of our winter and prolific deluges.

Only on 1st launch, asked wifi connection permission. Stopped several times on the 70k trip from 10 mins to 40 mins. System fully up and running within 60 secs, no dropouts.

Running .50 firmware, iPhone 12 mini (vanilla bike phone) latest firmware.

Will happily be retaining the Garmin Zumo XT as it always works and provides additional environmental information.
Ever since I installed the 4.2.1 release, I am getting beeps out of the bike every minute or two - the same beep as when I initially connect the phone to the bike. It's as though the phone is dropping the connection every couple minutes though I don't see any issues with the nav system or any other part of the TFT. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
BMW R1250RT 2021 White
44 Posts
Ever since I installed the 4.2.1 release, I am getting beeps out of the bike every minute or two - the same beep as when I initially connect the phone to the bike. It's as though the phone is dropping the connection every couple minutes though I don't see any issues with the nav system or any other part of the TFT. Anyone else seeing this?
Are you charging the phone using the charging pad? If so it is likely these beeps ae the charging function cutting in and out (can check the green light). I've found the best solution for the health of the phone is to connect using a short USB-A to Lightning cable and forget the wireless charging.

Reactions: PadG and dpickens

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you charging the phone using the charging pad? If so it is likely these beeps ae the charging function cutting in and out (can check the green light). I've found the best solution for the health of the phone is to connect using a short USB-A to Lightning cable and forget the wireless charging.
I'll give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
That is most likely correct. I do hear beeps now and then, and I had identified them as being from my phone to alert me of "things". I don't have any issue with charging, so that wasn't it for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is most likely correct. I do hear beeps now and then, and I had identified them as being from my phone to alert me of "things". I don't have any issue with charging, so that wasn't it for me.
I have notifications turned off while using the Connected app so I don't think it was alerts. I've been using the same phone for months without this happening, so I'm a bit surprised that it may be wireless charging - haven't had any issues previously with charging. The only recent change is the app update. However, I'll try to reproduce the problem and if I can, then I'll plug in the charging cable to see if it goes away.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Are you using an iPhone? Just curious, because it seems that iOS phones are having a lot of issues still, and I haven't seen anything from Android side in quite a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you using an iPhone? Just curious, because it seems that iOS phones are having a lot of issues still, and I haven't seen anything from Android side in quite a while.
Yes - iPhone 13. There's no doubt a lot of TFT issues are the phone. I initially had lots of dropped connections which were partially cured by a software update last April, and then eliminated with notifications being turned off. But the last thousand miles have been pretty smooth with the exception of yesterday's beeping.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts