BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT, 2009 R1200GS
13 Posts
BMW is trying to do a workaround with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay here. I kind of understand why and appreciate the attempt. They want us to only interact with what is needed for core functions on the TFT so we can keep our focus on the road. Android Auto and CarPlay are much more mature phone to car infotainment interfaces but are designed to allow for more user focus than would be safe on a bike at xxx mph.

Spent years running a mobile app development team trying to work around the different mobile OS and hardware platform restrictions and protocols. Pretty hard to be 100% rock solid with the rapidly changing mobile OS landscape. I suspect the company developing the connected app (I think it’s a division of Microsoft?) is doing it’s best.

Bluetooth has been a standard for interfacing with infotainment systems for some time now. Screen sharing (map displayed on TFT) has been around for some time as well but only via CarPlay and Android Auto in cars for the most part. The connected app is dependent on Bluetooth to establish a connection first then pass the information about connecting to the bikes Wi-Fi, which is slow to boot up. Then the phones screen needs to have the connected app map in the forefront for the map to be shared on the TFT screen. If anything interrupts this handshake before the Wi-Fi and screen sharing connection is up and running or another app comes to the forefront on the phone the whole chain of required events breaks down. Our phones do a lot of other things all the time. A lot of this workaround way of doing things is due to the security built into our phones to prevent others from having full remote control.

Things will only improve if enough bike manufacturers and users drive tighter integration between phones and bike infotainment systems or bike specific versions of CarPlay and Android Auto are developed to an acceptable safety level for manufacturers like BMW.

Until that time, we get to live the life of the early adopters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Pixel Pro 6. Mine worked fine for about a month. Now no matter what I try I can't get map mode working......all bluetooth functionality works as expected though (phone, speed alerts, music). Very frustrating!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Pixel Pro 6. Mine worked fine for about a month. Now no matter what I try I can't get map mode working......all bluetooth functionality works as expected though (phone, speed alerts, music). Very frustrating!
It just won't connect to the Wifi Hotspot the TFT is putting out there. I can see it in wifi connections......strange

·
Registered
63 Posts
BMW is trying to do a workaround with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay here. I kind of understand why and appreciate the attempt. They want us to only interact with what is needed for core functions on the TFT so we can keep our focus on the road. Android Auto and CarPlay are much more mature phone to car infotainment interfaces but are designed to allow for more user focus than would be safe on a bike at xxx mph.
Not sure I agree with the company underlying concern, eg safety. Todays bike has a ton more rider info than just speedo and tach, so I don’t think Car Play or Auto adds much to the rider info flow, and making the interface glitch free, predictable, and consistent is far safer than trying to “fix it” all the time. With Apple and Google in many if not most cars now, having the same familiar interface on the bike would also be safer (if you’re providing an infotainment system at all).

I think the primary driver is BMW not wanting to have to play by Apple’s or Google’s rules, pay the licensing fees, and wanting their branding (remember the Hayes brakes?) and “ecosystem.”

Every time a mfg’r tries to go this route (Indy developed system) it goes this way. Maybe BMW will get there at some point, but by then Apple and Google will be further ahead in the vehicle info system and, IMHO, the independent system will still feel like an “also ran.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
113 Posts
Let me add to the guesswork. When I picked up my '22 RT last week, Map Mode was disconnecting/reconnecting. When I went in for the first service, the shop updated the firmware to 012_008_040 Now Map Mode was working perfectly, with no disconnections, for one day. The next day, I could not enable Map Mode during the entire ride that day (wifi connect failure). Back home today, I decided to try some troubleshooting. I fired up the TFT and my phone connected and Map Mode started successfully. The only change was I had a power outage last night which resulted in a cable modem reboot. Was that root cause? Beats me, but it is something to think about.
I have enough to think about. There’s no room left for placebo solutions in my brain.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
It just won't connect to the Wifi Hotspot the TFT is putting out there. I can see it in wifi connections......strange
What TFT software version is on your RT? Mine got knocked out when the Connect app was updated to the latest version, but while my RT was on the _40 version. Updating the TFT software to the latest _50 version fix the problem completely. BTW, based on my experience, and everything that I have read in this forum, Pixel phone is the best phone to use with this system! I have the 4a-5G, and that had worked quite flawlessly from the very beginning from when this generation of RT first came out. I have also paired my old original Pixel (one?) with the bike and that had also performed quite flawlessly. The exceptions had been as mentioned above. This is the second time that it had happened to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pixel phone is the best phone to use with this system!
My iPhone is also working very well now after all the updates to the app and TFT but having to buy a certain phone to make things work is not the way forward nor is it foolproof - you might as well spend your money on a Zumo XT if that’s your thought process.

I know it’s frustrating (I’ve experienced it for the last 16 months) but the only way to solve these issues in the long term is to keep reporting the issues via the connected app and unfortunately having to wait slow time for them to fix them with future app and TFT updates. In the meantime, we learn from one another, the workarounds needed to keep us going until the fixes come out. They are getting there slowly, very slowly !!

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
My iPhone is also working very well now after all the updates to the app and TFT but having to buy a certain phone to make things work is not the way forward nor is it foolproof - you might as well spend your money on a Zumo XT if that’s your thought process.

I know it’s frustrating (I’ve experienced it for the last 16 months) but the only way to solve these issues in the long term is to keep reporting the issues via the connected app and unfortunately having to wait slow time for them to fix them with future app and TFT updates. In the meantime, we learn from one another, the workarounds needed to keep us going until the fixes come out. They are getting there slowly, very slowly !!
Absolutely no arguments there! However, some people did go out and bought a phone that is dedicated to be used on the RT, as you well know, and the phone with almost zero issues from the very beginning is the Pixel, as I have often reported, as you also knew! ;)

There are quite a few new people here, and so it's worth repeating.

Reactions: Rich_Blue21RTLE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Absolutely no arguments there! However, some people did go out and bought a phone that is dedicated to be used on the RT, as you well know, and the phone with almost zero issues from the very beginning is the Pixel, as I have often reported, as you also knew! ;)

There are quite a few new people here, and so it's worth repeating.
Hi, I have the Pixel 6 Pro map mode just won't start, I'm on 040 with a call logged, BMW actually sent me some diagnostic software to test and it appears to me that the WiFi direct credentials are not being handled by the Android phone, I know the bikes ok as my DIL's iPhone works perfectly. Btw I have tried 4 different makes of Android phone, none work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, as is the point that we must continue to report the issues so that they get fixed, rather than bypassing them with a new phone, which won‘t help the next newcomer to the system.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Hi, I have the Pixel 6 Pro map mode just won't start, I'm on 040 with a call logged, BMW actually sent me some diagnostic software to test and it appears to me that the WiFi direct credentials are not being handled by the Android phone, I know the bikes ok as my DIL's iPhone works perfectly. Btw I have tried 4 different makes of Android phone, none work.
Note what I said in the earlier post!!! I had also reported the issue, and got canned answer. Since I had experienced the issue before (app update screwed up map-mode when on older TFT software version), and knew that my TFT software was at least one version behind, I went ahead and got it updated to the latest version, and everything works quite fine again. . . . . just like the last time! Feedback was provided to BMW by me, and no answer or even "thank you" was received back!

Rich is right in that we do have to keep bugging them about any issues.

Reactions: Rich_Blue21RTLE

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Rich - I think that I see what your issue is now!!!! NO, I am not telling anybody to buy a new phone!!!! If you will go back and actually read the earlier posts, you will see that the person that I had responded to IS using the Pixel 6 phone!!! What I was telling him is that he already has the best phone for the job, and what was causing his problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pad - no I understood the point you were making and the advice that you’d experienced the same until the TFT was updated. I just picked up on your quote of “Pixel phone is the best phone to use with this system!” which I don’t necessarily agree with. I want the system to be fixed regardless of what phone you have - which is the challenge BMW took on when they tried to reinvent the wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Pad - no I understood the point you were making and the advice that you’d experienced the same until the TFT was updated. I just picked up on your quote of “Pixel phone is the best phone to use with this system!” which I don’t necessarily agree with. I want the system to be fixed regardless of what phone you have - which is the challenge BMW took on when they tried to reinvent the wheel.
It's not??? ;) I remember the months of problems that you guys with iPhone and other Android phones having issues, while I had none with my Pixels! As I said, the only problems that I have had, with my Pixel was when BMW updated the Connect app and broke it for me until the RT software was updated. Twice now. I was in contact with them both times, and to their credit, the first time I was in contact with someone who actually knew what he was talking about. I was looking for a solution without having to take my RT into the dealer for the software update, and the guy had strongly insisted that I did, and he was very correct. That update did bring me back to "normal" with zero connectivity issues.

This second time was a little over a month ago, when I was just a few days from leaving for my month long trip out west. The app was updated, and I lost map-mode completely. I am sure you remembered that, because that was when I even tried to pair up my iPad mini, just to have something for my trip. Reported the issue to BMW, but this time I had gotten somebody who just gave me a canned response to check this and that, even though I had provided full information including what had happened the last time, with reference to specific emails. I knew what the solution to my problem was, and so with the help of my very good dealer, who usually have a 3-weeks backlog on works, we got the software update (I think that I was on the _30 version at the time) done, and the problem went completely away.

Now, a month later, and many thousands of miles on the road, my system is back to ZERO issues again, as it had always been.

Rich, you said that you now have no issues using your iPhone, but I am still reading of others with lots of issues in the other thread. Perhaps you can help them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is no need to get so defensive over your Pixel phone - I’m sure its a great phone and it has been very reliable for you and does exactly what you want it to do. But that’s where it ends because everyone is different with different needs and expectations. Some play music, some don’t, some like album art, some don’t, some run all sorts of different apps in the background, social media accounts, some don’t etc, etc, etc. Different music apps, different headsets, it goes on.

There seems to be so many variables involved that it‘s dangerous to suggest that one particular phone is the best or that it will work - you just don’t know that. People on this forum have gone out and purchased a specific phone out of sheer frustration or desperation to find that it too doesn’t work because actually it was a fault with the TFT not their phone. I have said many times in the past, the notion that you need a specific phone or a dedicated bike phone is simply incorrect and misleading.

The only way forward Is to keep reporting the faults and putting the pressure on BMW to sort them out until every Apple and Android phone capable of running the connected app works, as it should, with the TFT. In the meantime, we help one another with workarounds and ideas.

As for your last paragraph and suggestion, well …. don’t think I need to comment on that one.

Reactions: The_real_hati

·
Registered
30 Posts
What TFT software version is on your RT? Mine got knocked out when the Connect app was updated to the latest version, but while my RT was on the _40 version. Updating the TFT software to the latest _50 version fix the problem completely. BTW, based on my experience, and everything that I have read in this forum, Pixel phone is the best phone to use with this system! I have the 4a-5G, and that had worked quite flawlessly from the very beginning from when this generation of RT first came out. I have also paired my old original Pixel (one?) with the bike and that had also performed quite flawlessly. The exceptions had been as mentioned above. This is the second time that it had happened to me.
_40 at the moment!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is my experience as well.....was working up until 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
_40 at the moment!
The latest is _50. As mentioned, I was running _30 about a month ago when what you are encountering had happened to me. 250 miles ride with perfect performance one day, and the very next day the app was updated, and map-mode was gone! Reporting to BMW, which as I said I did, was totally useless. That was when I had my dealer update to the present _50 revision, and the issue disappeared. Now, a month and about 6,000 miles later, things are still working perfectly.

Aside - as for the Pixel phones being the best, that is the most trouble-free phone for THIS application, I stand by the FACTS! Unsupported opinions are totally meaningless. It seems that people on iOS phones are still having issues, as can be seen in other threads!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Carda21 & cowl.andy - this suggestion Is by no means the answer to your problems with map mode, I agree with Pad that it would seem the only way to fix it, as learnt from his previous experience, is to get your TFTs updated to the version _50. There does seem to be an oddity for some users (iPhone included) that when the app gets updated, the TFT needs updating too and vice versa, but …. are you aware that you can remain on a Bluetooth connection and use your phone as the mapping screen ?

So, connect up as usual until you get to the part where the Wi-Fi won’t connect. Go into the navigation settings on your TFT and select stop map mode (if its not already set) to stop it trying to connect over Wi-Fi. Swap the connected app to the map screen (not entirely sure you have to do this step but its the way I’ve got it to work). When you then ride away, your phone screen will change to display a moving 3D sat nav style map. The wonder wheel will still control navigation destinations and settings etc like it did before, with all the navigation instructions, phone calls and music as before, just you’ll be now connected over a much more reliable Bluetooth only and your phone becomes the map screen.

The disadvantages are :
  • You will have to mount your phone where you can see it, preferably in landscape.
  • You will have to power your phone as it will drain the battery with the screen always on.
  • The Wi-Fi square at the bottom of the TFT will annoyingly flash continuously.
  • You will have to use split screen with the turn by turn showing, otherwise at every turn it will take over the whole screen and you will have to keep clearing it.
Its basically the same method that is used on the smaller TFT of say a GS where your phone is used for the map.

Like I say, its just a temporary alternative until you are able to get the TFT updated. And for those that have reported continual loss of Wi-Fi maps whilst travelling in other countries, just another alternative to get you through until you find stable Wi-Fi - select stop map mode and use your phone as the map screen.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts