BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After encountering ongoing stability issues with the connection between iPhone 13 and the bike I decided to start anew by deleting and re-installing everything (bike and phone). The good - the connection is stable and holding. Did not drop once on 175 mile jaunt.
Not so good - once connected the bike via the BMW Connected App and in map mode the street map displays fine. However, as soon as I enter a specific destination via the BMW Connected App the map disappears and all I get to see on the TFT are the simplified turn by turn directions rather than the full. Once the designated destination has been reached the full road map is being displayed in the TFT again. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
113 Posts
Have you tried tapping on the “start map mode” icon on the app after entering the destination? There is also the same option on the TFT under navigation menu

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. Yes, I have. The the nav app will ask if I wish to discontinue routing when I press the "start map mode". [There are no previous, unfinished routes is still active in the App.]
Meanwhile the small map icon keeps blinking at the bottom of the TFT. Interestingly the map app was working fine before, as long as the connection stayed up. Doing the reinstall seems to have solved the connection stability issue but I have traded it for a new one.
The BMW TFT/BMW Connected App has had a gremlin in it since day one. Only use the system for navigation purposes and it's been frustrating. Hopefully it will be sorted in due time.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
611 Posts
I use an iPhone 12 P/M with no issues at all, except for when the app itself crashes on the rare occasion. I did what you have, deleted and reinstalled the app when the 30 update was installed on the bike. I also went and disabled all wifi networks from auto joining, except the bike one. Still on .30 today.

When the screen-cast icon is blinking, it is trying to establish the wifi connection. Can you check if you have any other wifi network/hotspot connected at the time you enter your new destination @Dalton 5 ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the tip. I will check it out later this week.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
113 Posts
After I enter a destination, I can just tap the map mode icon (last option at bottom) and it displays the map on the TFT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that's how it used to work before the re-install. But no more. Mine asks me now if want to cancel/discontinue the route. Will check what or if other WiFi connections on my phone are interfering with the settings based on another suggestion. The previous NAV 6 wasn't perfect but it seemed like child play compared to this upgrade. Even though the connection is finally stable, it takes seemingly forever for bike and phone to find each other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me add to the guesswork. When I picked up my '22 RT last week, Map Mode was disconnecting/reconnecting. When I went in for the first service, the shop updated the firmware to 012_008_040 Now Map Mode was working perfectly, with no disconnections, for one day. The next day, I could not enable Map Mode during the entire ride that day (wifi connect failure). Back home today, I decided to try some troubleshooting. I fired up the TFT and my phone connected and Map Mode started successfully. The only change was I had a power outage last night which resulted in a cable modem reboot. Was that root cause? Beats me, but it is something to think about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A finicky system. Hope to find some time on Sunday and play with it a bit more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gave it another try last night. Connection held. Map view came up on the TFT after the second attempt and stayed up.
Got gutsy and added a way point to see what would happen. Map view disappeared and I was left with the generic arrow directions again. The NAV App accepted the information, confirmed by the generic directions, but for some odd reason refuses to display it in map view. Guess another trip to the dealer is in order to tame this rather strange example of digital progress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I have a 2022 RT running software version 012_008_040. I get a Bluetooth connection fine, however Map Mode just won't start. The phone attempts to start it however it fails every time. I don't get the Wi-Fi symbol on the dash either. I have checked the phone and I seem to be getting a wi-fi direct connection from the bike. I have reset the bike, reinstalled the app and tried a different phone that I know works. If your dealer helps I would welcome the outcome, I do have a call logged with BMW directly and will report back should I get anywhere.

Andy

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I have a 2022 RT running software version 012_008_040. I get a Bluetooth connection fine, however Map Mode just won't start. The phone attempts to start it however it fails every time. I don't get the Wi-Fi symbol on the dash either. I have checked the phone and I seem to be getting a wi-fi direct connection from the bike. I have reset the bike, reinstalled the app and tried a different phone that I know works. If your dealer helps I would welcome the outcome, I do have a call logged with BMW directly and will report back should I get anywhere.

Andy
Guys a good thing to do is put your setup in your signature field and then we know what you have, so Andy what do you have?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi David,

Are you referring to the phone set up? There aren't many options on the TFT that one could get wrong. Running the latest software version 012_008_040

I phone 13 - always on, location always on
Bluetooth - on
WiFi connection - Off [ but connected to the bike.] This is to prevent the phone from hunting and joining unknown WiFi networks. Have also set this option to Ask. Does not make a difference.
TFT set to NAV and full Map View.

Tried an iPhone 12. Same results. There obviously is a connection but it does not extend to the Map View feature.
Ironically this feature was working fine before the update but the connection between phone and bike wasn't stable. Traded a stable connection for a diminished feature with the latest software update. Not sure when I ll be able to take it to the dealer. Still working for a living. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys a good thing to do is put your setup in your signature field and then we know what you have, so Andy what do you have?
Hi,
It's a 2022 R1250rt Le, I've tried using a Huawei P20 Pro, and a Honor 50, neither worked. The issue is defiantly the bike as the WiFi symbol doesn't illuminate on the dashboard. It did work before it's first service, we did 800 miles around the south east of England and it worked perfectly

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi,
It's a 2022 R1250rt Le, I've tried using a Huawei P20 Pro, and a Honor 50, neither worked. The issue is defiantly the bike as the WiFi symbol doesn't illuminate on the dashboard. It did work before it's first service, we did 800 miles around the south east of England and it worked perfectly
Not familiar with those phones but I presume they are Android. The maps are displayed using WiFi direct, check out the following.

1 Settings
2. Connections
3. WFi
4. Tap three dots on top right of screen
5. Tap Advamced
6. Make sure "Turn on WiFi automatically is deselected" if you read about this, Android will try and switch on WiFi if you are in a location that it knows you have connected to a WiFi network before, it also switches it off if not, which is the problem. It will switch WiFi off and on to save battery.

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
113 Posts
Hi David,

Are you referring to the phone set up? There aren't many options on the TFT that one could get wrong. Running the latest software version 012_008_040

I phone 13 - always on, location always on
Bluetooth - on
WiFi connection - Off [ but connected to the bike.] This is to prevent the phone from hunting and joining unknown WiFi networks. Have also set this option to Ask. Does not make a difference.
TFT set to NAV and full Map View.

Tried an iPhone 12. Same results. There obviously is a connection but it does not extend to the Map View feature.
Ironically this feature was working fine before the update but the connection between phone and bike wasn't stable. Traded a stable connection for a diminished feature with the latest software update. Not sure when I ll be able to take it to the dealer. Still working for a living. :)
You should not disable Wifi connections on the iPhone. Wifi is required to be active to connect to bike’s wifi (in addition to connect to bike’s bluetooth)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Rob,
Phone and bike are connected. WiFi connection on the bike is a known net work. Don't want he phone to connect to every McD or Starbucks I pass. If in doubt I can connect it the two manually. Bluetooth is also on.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
611 Posts
WiFi connection on the bike is a known net work.
Sorry, this is confusing. Is wifi on your phone switched on or off? It must be enabled but not connected to another wifi network for the phone to connect to your bike.

Don't want he phone to connect to every McD or Starbucks I pass
You can enable that under your settings, no need to turn wifi off completely for that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for the confusion. WiFi turned on but restricted to known networks only! There would be no generic arrow directions if the phone was not connected to the bike. This is strictly a Map View issue.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Try going though all your wifi connections on your phone and set all of them to "ask" except for the bike wifi which would be set to auto connect. And even with with this setup the phone occasionally asks to join the wifi. Or I have to shut the app down and restart it to make the mapping work. Also the private network setting on the phone needs to be on for the bike wifi.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts