BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Quite frankly, I have no issues with taking the RT on unpaved roads. However, I DO fear having to turn around in such unpaved narrow roads! I always ride alone, and the potential of dropping my RT in such situation, and no one around, is what I fear! Yes, I know how to upright the RT by myself. I am not too proud to admit that I have done that a few times in the distant past. The problem is that, on dirt roads, one doesn't have good grips with one's boots on the road, but more important, I am at the age where I seem to be feeling my age, and lack of strength very quickly now! I try very hard to keep fit, but darn it, things just don't work the way that they used to!

So, no problems with riding roads where it may be partially unpaved, as long as it doesn't turn out to be closed, and I have to make a turn around!!! :)

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Be aware that 126 has an unpaved stretch and at higher elevation. Most of it is just fine but on either side of the peak there is talcum powder like silt that varies depending on weather and when it was graded.
If memory serves me correctly I did an up and back on 126 with my former sport touring steed (MV Turismo Veloce Lusso). Near the pass I ran into a group of enduro dirt riders, group of 30+, descending. Temptations made me pull a U turn and see if I could pass all of them, there were spread out over several miles, before getting back to Cuba. Was a pretty good descent down to Cuba and since I had ascended I knew what to expect on the way down. Ended up stopping at the fuel station in Cuba and talking with the large group later. Found out it was "GPSKevin" taking a group on a new route in the northern mountains of NM. Made me wish I had my FE501 instead so I could ride the rest of their route with them.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
At this point with a total of 11,029 miles on my second set of road 6 GTs, the cords are just starting to show in one spot of the rear tire. I did run pressures a bit lower (3-4psi) at times than spec vs the first set of 6 GTs. Now have 22,879 on a 22 RT with just one summer of use.

The front centers still have 2/32" tread depth. The last long trip taken was down in the Appalachian area and included spectacular routes such as the Tail of the Dragon and the Triple Nickel along with a few thousand+ miles of other great routes in OH, WV, KY, TN and NC. The entire ride was a bit over 5000 miles round trip.

Seems I'll most likely be installing another set of Road 6 GTs.

Anyone hear about a Black Friday sale on Michelin Road 6 GTs??

Also, has anyone ever experienced one spot of the rear tire wearing slightly quicker than the rest of the tire? (I never skidded my rear tire that I'm aware of). I did notice this spot is located exactly where the weights were added to the rim.. maybe the balancing was not perfect or the tire was slightly out of round new??

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

My last ride out locally was on a 200 mile route I've put together for use with my old supermoto. Tight turns, no traffic and full use of the road for picking apexes. Seems most of this route favored faster left turns based on the wear results I saw at conclusion on the front.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Grey

There were 4 of us on this supermoto route.. Felt good to wear the sides of the tires on one of my favorite routes.. one you don't see much if any traffic on

Group included one of my good friends that purchased my old MV Agusta Turismo Veloce, a KTM 790 Duke and KTM 1390 Super Duke GT. The big RT had no problem playing with the other motos on this route and surprised me at the amazing handling for a heavier moto.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Thank you for the update on the Road 6 GT's. When I sold the RS and purchased the RT in August, I still had a fresh set of Road 5's leaning against the wall. They've been my tire of choice for the RS - amazing grip in the dry and the wet. I decided to used them on the RT for the trip to UT in September. The non GT version on the heavier RT was just OK. They absolutely felt squirmy when I was pushing them on UT-95 and exhibited a little bit of head shake under hard braking. And they were toast at 3,800 miles.

For the trip to AR I looked for a set of Road 6 GTs, but couldn't find a set for less than $500, so I passed on the Michelins and took a chance on the Metzler Roadtec 01 for HWM. Picked them up for $390 and they did not disappoint. No head shake under braking and the squirmy feeling is gone too. And they performed well in cold wet weather on the back roads in AR.

I'd like to go back to the Michelins, but I can't justify the extra $120 a set. I am sure the GT version will arrest the issues I had with the the plain road version but the price is holding me back.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tree Road surface Automotive tire

41 - 44 of 44 Posts