BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Update 7/28/22
Now with 9600 miles on the Michelin Road 6 GTs. I decided to install a new pair so I would be good to go for another 10,000 miles this summer.
How is cupping on the front tire? My PR4GT was terribly scalloped in less than 2K miles at the recommended pressure. I never liked the recommedation to run higher pressures to avoid that, so moved on to other brands.

· Registered
'21 R1250RT
698 Posts
I had posted a similar article that mentioned exactly what you contributed in another tire thread on this site.
Sorry, hard to keep track of who I conversate with in threads, especially if a few weeks pass :(

The point was made by @PadG that the BMW pressure sensors may not be the best tool to for this process
Agreed, I have a digital gauge that matches the manual inflator I have for my 2.5 HP compressor.

· Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
321 Posts
Interesting for me...ive just gone through a set of 6.
Im running 38 in the front and 42-43 in the rear.
After 10,000 KMS the front are still good. The rear are very cupped and just about done.
Im away with 500kms to go and would not do another trip on them because of the rear.
I've always had front cup but never the rear.
Most of my trips are with a loaded rear end (top box and panniers)

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Another true jewel in Colorado is Colorado 92. Runs n/nw off US 50 at Blue Mesa and through Crawford, CO.

Joe Cocker and wife Pam lived there, Joe is buried there, then continues to US 50 in Delta, CO.

Worth checking it out if you like switchbacks.

LINK.

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Another true jewel in Colorado is Colorado 92. Runs n/nw off US 50 at Blue Mesa and through Crawford, CO.

Joe Cocker and wife Pam lived there, Joe is buried there, then continues to US 50 in Delta, CO.

LINK.
I was on 50, and was almost got detoured through there, due to construction shut-down of the portion of 50! I was heading toward Durango, and that detour would have put me well off my route. Fortunately, 50 opened for a brief period after waiting an hour or so. Going on 92 would have been fun. Perhaps next time.

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I was on 92 in mid July 2017 - just in time for a rock chip overlay. Trust me, if you see a sign in CO. that says road work ahead, avoid that road unless it's a US road. CO knows something about thick, almost impassable road work if you're on a bike.

However, the rock chip repair had turned into a great fix when I was last there in 2019.

Water Water resources Mountain Sky Plant

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Bedrock

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Vehicle

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Now, you are telling me!!! :) Yeah, riding through that closed section of 50 was interesting. Fortunately, I am very comfortable with riding my RT on dirt roads, and even many miles of deep gravel. I can see where some people could have some issues.

Wheel Land vehicle Sky Tire Cloud

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Asphalt Road surface

Reactions: steveaikens

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Next time you head that way, ask me about construction... :p

I used to live in C. Springs and still spend a lot of "tire time" in CO. I have a lot of friends that tell me about roads I've never been on from time to time. Only way to find out if they know what they're talking about - is to ride that way....

Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Art

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)

LINK.

Yes agree, have been on that route a few times and not much traffic to contend with.

from a scenic overlook on CO 92

Sky Tire Mountain Cloud Wheel

Have some active go-pro of almost half the route but not willing to post that since it could get me in trouble.

When I have time this winter I'll try and edit out photos from the video to show the qualities of 92.

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Next time you head that way, ask me about construction... :p

I used to live in C. Springs and still spend a lot of "tire time" in CO. I have a lot of friends that tell me about roads I've never been on from time to time. Only way to find out if they know what they're talking about - is to ride that way....

View attachment 179722
That day (late June) I was riding from my son's house in Evergreen to my sister's condo at Purgatory Resort, taking the long scenic route. I was heading for the end of 50 at Montrose, and then head south to Purgatory via the Million Dollar Highway. It was right at the 92 turn-off that I discovered that 50 was closed for construction, and the detour route was to take 92! Heck, that would have taken me well north of where I needed to be. She told me, however, that 50 will be reopened briefly at 12:30, and it was just after 11 at the time. So, I waited:

Sky Cloud Vehicle Asphalt Road surface

The next time that I pass by this way, I will make a point to take 92. It does look like a very interesting road. I also took note on the mention of Black Canyon. My son had mentioned that as well.

Just to keep things on the thread subject - I had changed the tires on my RT from the stock Z8 to the Road 6GT merely a couple of days before taking the long and boring 1,500 miles Interstates ride from my house to my son's place in Evergreen! I am getting too old for the long Interstate rides, I think. I put in about 650 miles the first day, and felt quite beat at the end. Next day was better, at only 560 miles. I think that about 550 miles on the Interstate is my limit nowadays. As for the tires, they are excellent, especially in the rain. I did run into heavy downpour a couple of times, on my way to Colorado, and the RT felt very secure on the road as if I was riding on dry roads. I didn't even bother to change the ride-mode to rain, and kept my usual cruising speed of around 75 mph.

Reactions: dpickens and Fast1

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
92 is along the North Rim, 347 runs to the South Rim - 92 is far better road, 347 was a challenge last time I was there. Knobby's would have been a better tire choice then....o_O

· Registered
97 Posts
Thanks, I will make notes of these roads. Some, like 550, is already on my planned route.
I'm about 190 miles from Durango, just off of 550 in NM. I've ridden some of the roads Fast1 suggested and they are terrific. If you are going to get into NM I could give some suggestions. I maybe able to hook up for a day or two if schedules align.

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
92 is along the North Rim, 347 runs to the South Rim - 92 is far better road, 347 was a challenge last time I was there. Knobby's would have been a better tire choice then....o_O
Thanks. I guess I won't go on 347 then. My son mentioned it only because he said that it's supposed to be quite scenic, but he's a 4WD guy and love the kind of road that you mentioned.

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
I'm about 190 miles from Durango, just off of 550 in NM. I've ridden some of the roads Fast1 suggested and they are terrific. If you are going to get into NM I could give some suggestions. I maybe able to hook up for a day or two if schedules align.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Purgatory is just 12 miles north of Durango, and I had planned on staying for a couple of weeks, but my sister had gotten a buyer for the condo, and sold it while I was there, and so I only stayed for a week, and some of the time was used to pack up what belonging they had there, and shipped it all back to them in CT. If I had stayed longer, I definitely would have used the place as a base and made my way down to NM and many other places.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Thanks. I guess I won't go on 347 then. My son mentioned it only because he said that it's supposed to be quite scenic, but he's a 4WD guy and love the kind of road that you mentioned.
I've taken 347 right down into the canyon where the road terminates. The very slow moving and tight switch backs down into the canyon can be a challenge for some. Stayed down in the campground along the river which was a nice spot and wished I would have had some trout fishing equipment. Of course I was on a 410 lb dry weight MV Agusta Turismo Veloce so the intensity of the road may be more difficult on a R1250RT although I'd never let that stop me. It has a significant grade which can frighten some, very slow moving 4 wheel vehicles and numerous deer during the morning/evening hours.

347 doesn't compare to 92 in terms of pure sport touring enjoyment but does offer another a unique look at the bottom of Black Canyon.

Near the campground at the termination of 347

Water Plant Mountain Plant community Natural landscape

Water Mountain Plant Water resources Natural landscape

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'd take any suggestions for northern NM (north of Sante Fe) roads at higher and cooler elevation that you would care to share. Have been down that way a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

· Registered
97 Posts
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Purgatory is just 12 miles north of Durango, and I had planned on staying for a couple of weeks, but my sister had gotten a buyer for the condo, and sold it while I was there, and so I only stayed for a week, and some of the time was used to pack up what belonging they had there, and shipped it all back to them in CT. If I had stayed longer, I definitely would have used the place as a base and made my way down to NM and many other places.
Ahh, now I see you've come and gone. As usual I was late to the party and didn't pay attention to your post dates. Chalk it up to me being an idiot...

I'd take any suggestions for northern NM (north of Sante Fe) roads at higher and cooler elevation that you would care to share. Have been down that way a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
NM4 and 126 (that Steve suggested) are a couple of my favorite roads. Be aware that 126 has an unpaved stretch and at higher elevation. Most of it is just fine but on either side of the peak there is talcum powder like silt that varies depending on weather and when it was graded. You can find it easily passible or several inches deep hiding ruts. It is a spectacular road though and has very little traffic.

Alternately, 550 to 4 to Los Alamos then over to 285, up to 84 then 64 toward Taos -or- just continue up 84 through Chama then on to Pagosa Springs -or- from Chama take 17 toward Alamosa. 550 south of Bloomfield is not curvy but the scenery is excellent. 4, 64 and 17 are all top notch.

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Be aware that 126 has an unpaved stretch and at higher elevation.
Last I was on it, there were two unpaved stretches as noted, but both were okay then. I think the first starts at La Cueva, not far from the Mill. Can't recall where the other starts/stops.

Not a problem on my 07 RT, which is the last bike I was up there on. Not fast by any stretch, but an awesome scenery ride.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts