BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to pick up a set of Michelin Road 6GTs and put them on my new 2022.

Seemed like a pretty straight forward process. The back wheel assembly was off in no time.

Moved on to the front and hit a stalemate with the front fender removal. I removed the two fasteners mentioned in the owners manual but am unable to get the "special" tabs to release the plastic colored fender cover.

Has anyone removed the plastic front fender cover on a 21/22 that could lend some advise about the tabs that must be released? How do you get these tabs to release without breaking any of the plastic??

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Thanks for the hint!

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
patiently waiting for the new running shoes

Planning on riding a few miles on a graded dirt road to scrub them in.

I did weigh the new Michelin Road 6GTs with an electronic fish scale.. plan on weighing the removed Metzelers with the same scale also.

Michelin 6GTs
Front 10.5 lbs
Rear 14.5 lbs

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Premium Member
374 Posts
Yeah I'm waiting for the day those plastic grippers don't grip any more and then what. Piss poor design .....................just to save not using 2 more screws like they used to.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm waiting for the day those plastic grippers don't grip any more
The lower insert plugs are plastic and the receptacles for the front colored plastic fender are made from what appears to be aluminum or light gauge steel. You are right they obviously, with repeated removal, could/would wear the plastic plugs and the retention factor.

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finished up installing both wheels with new Michelin tires this evening. Took the RT a few miles down a dirt road for an initial scrub-in. Was really surprised and happy with how easily I could go down a graded dirt road at 50 mph. Will get some more time on them in the next few days but I did take some measurements for comparative purposes between the new Michelin Road 6 GT and the stock Metzeters Roadtec Z8s with 2300 miles on them.

Front Tire
Michelin Road 6 GT - Weight 10.5 lbs,Tread surface width (measurement C) 169mm

Metzler Z8 - 10.4 lbs, 160mm

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

Rear Tire
Michelin Road 6 GT - Weight 14.5 lbs, Tread surface width (measurement C) 227mm

Metzler Z8 - 15.4 lbs, 219mm

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
You will find that any of the RTs handle dirt road quite well. I had found that out with my '07 RT, when, in my exploring, I ended up riding for about 28 miles on deeply graveled road! The bike can handle it fine, but the ability has to come from the rider.

Reactions: Fast1

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with you.. I've taken my MV Agusta Turismo Veloce up to Ophir pass (11,790') in the San Juans of CO via 10 mile jeep trail with tight off camber switchbacks the entire way loaded with camping equipment. Also have done the Burr Trail in UT with it. The BMW set in "road" suspension mode seems much more manageable than the MV was on rougher dirt although a bit heavier.

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Mountain
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
I will be leaving for Colorado around the middle of next month! Going to be riding around the state as well as the adjacent states for a while. I love to explore on my RT, but we don't have a lot around here that is really challenging. Last year, oops, I mean 2020,I took a road that looks "interesting" to me, and soon enough, I came across this in my path:

At the end of that bridge was a sharp left turn onto a fairly steep dirt road that climbs up the river bank:

That was on my previous '15 RT.

Reactions: Fast1

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CO paved roads not to miss:

Hwy 141 south out of Gateway
Hwy 550 (million dollar highway south of Ouray
Hwy 92 west of Blue Mesa Damn
Hwy 82 east out of Aspen
Hwy 65 north of Delta
Hwy 145 south of Telluride
Hwy 34 Rocky Mountain Park
Hwy 14 west of of Fort Collins
Road up to Mount Evans (highest paved road in the USA, 14,000'+
Hwy 306 west out of Buena Vista
Hwy 40 north out of Empire
Hwy 24 south out of Minturn

Some of the best I've been on in CO multiple times. Sept can be the best time of the year with the golden Aspens and minimal traffic..

Enjoy.

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Thanks, I will make notes of these roads. Some, like 550, is already on my planned route.

· Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
47 Posts
You will find that any of the RTs handle dirt road quite well. I had found that out with my '07 RT, when, in my exploring, I ended up riding for about 28 miles on deeply graveled road! The bike can handle it fine, but the ability has to come from the rider.
We took our last motor officer class out on some logging roads which ended up being wetter than we had hoped. RTs plowed through the mud holes and slippery surface without much effort. They really do handle well, especially if the rider is easy on the throttle and steering and keeps their head and eyes up and forward.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, I will make notes of these roads. Some, like 550, is already on my planned route.
When you are on 550 near Silverton, look up towards the mountains on the west side and that is where Ophir pass is in the above photo of my MV at the top.

550 can be crowded if done during prime tourist season but if it is your first ride it will be well worth it. Some of the other roads I mentioned are less visited however just as spectacular for moto riding.
These come to mind as being less crowded:
145 (use for a loop with 550)

Make sure you go over Moki Dugway in UT (short dirt section) and the following
west on 279 and back from Moab
cross from CO to UT on 46
west out of Blanding on 95
Gooseneck State park near Mexican Hat and Moki
Should be able to do Valley of of the Gods (dirt) near Mexican Hat also

All are true treasures for riding a moto..

Here is going up Ophir Pass from 550.. will give you an idea if you want to take your BMW up it.. improves as you get more elevation and near the top of the pass

A little bit of Moki Dugway

a short traffic jam on hwy 141 LOL

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
I am going to have lots of opportunities to ride down in the SW part of CO. I will be using my sister's condo at Purgatory resort (just outside of Durango) as a base for about a couple of weeks. Nobody uses the place in the warmer months. So, I will be riding the pretty much the full length of 550 as I ride from my son's place, just outside of Denver, to Purgatory.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm envious of your situation. The southwestern part of CO is truly an amazing place to see, ride and just immerse yourself into the environment. Even skiing Purgatory is a blast plus Hwy 550 can be open at times during the winter and is just as scenic with the snow falls.

I've been going their frequently around Labor day to ride, but primarily with my dirt moto. I've ridden almost every jeep trail off Hwy550 multiple times and have never gotten bored.

A taste of what is hidden off Hwy 550. You could rent a jeep for the day (either in Silverton or Ouray) and visit some of this stuff.

Tire Sky Wheel Mountain Vehicle

Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Mountain Water

Sky Mountain Plant community Tire Plant

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
We took our last motor officer class out on some logging roads which ended up being wetter than we had hoped. RTs plowed through the mud holes and slippery surface without much effort. They really do handle well, especially if the rider is easy on the throttle and steering and keeps their head and eyes up and forward.
Unfortunately, may riders don't realize this!

Reactions: steveaikens

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update 7/28/22
Now with 9600 miles on the Michelin Road 6 GTs. I decided to install a new pair so I would be good to go for another 10,000 miles this summer.

Front tire
New - 6/32 to center most wear bar (7/32 to carcass), Removed tire 1/32 left to wear bar

Back Tire
New - 7/32 to center most wear bar (9/32 to carcass) , Removed tire 1/32 left to wear bar

Could have maybe got another 1000-1400 miles if I would have pushed it down to just below the center most wear bars.

I did do a few 1000 mile+ day freeway rides on this set without much turning. What I need to figure out is why the center of the back tire is wearing more pronounced than the sides. I did a significant amount of curvy road riding during the duration of the 9600 miles of use. My thought is that with factory suggested air pressure in the rear tire it is only wearing on the center most 1.5". My ride weight is 180 lbs. Wondering if I need to reduce the psi down by about 4 or 5 psi in the back tire?? Suggestions? The front tire seems somewhat more evenly worn at factory suggested psi.

Pics, new vs old (after 9600 miles)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Snow

Footwear Shoe Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

· Registered
'21 R1250RT
698 Posts
Wondering if I need to reduce the psi down by about 4 or 5 psi in the back tire?? Suggestions?
I did not try this method myself (been happy with the factory recommended pressures), but it seems to be the race tested way of determining what pressure you should run for your style of ride.

Start off with factory recommended. Ride for 30 minutes. Measure your hot tyre pressure. The increase from cold should be 10%. So if you run 36 psi up front, you aim for 39 to 40 psi hot. For the rear at 42 you want 46-47 hot. You rise or lower your cold pressure by a couple of pounds at the time until you get the 10% increase. That should be your sweet spot.

The trick is to be consistent. Try do the same road segment for the same time in the same ambient condition (yeah, I know, impossible), riding the same way. Always allow the tyre to cool down completely before changing pressure, just so your base line is consistent. Even then, you may not get perfect wear because of other factors, like rubber composition for example.

Dark art these tyres, if you ask me ;)

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Some good points and I had posted a similar article that mentioned exactly what you contributed in another tire thread on this site.

The last 1000 miles of use I started using 38 psi cold to determine if the rear tire would get more of the center of the tire in contact with the pavement. It appeared to but I might try this initially with the new set (with full depth tread) and look at the wear pattern along with PSI increases from cold to warm for the first 1000 or so miles.

The point was made by @PadG that the BMW pressure sensors may not be the best tool to for this process since they "are shown on the TFT display with temperature compensation and are always based on the following air temperature (68F). page 43 of the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts