BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just got my bike back after the fifth time at the dealer and now have my third set of Hayes calipers in six months on my bike, not good. I'll let it sit for a few days to make sure there's no drips as recommended by the investigator at NHTSA.

Steve

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just got my bike back after the fifth time at the dealer and now have my third set of Hayes calipers in six months on my bike, not good. I'll let it sit for a few days to make sure there's no drips as recommended by the investigator at NHTSA.

Steve
Good luck, I have two 1250s in my garage at the moment and none of them have suffered the leaking issue. I have said numbers times though, I actually prefer the Hayes brakes to the Brembos on my 2014. But maybe you US guys need to learn how to manufacture stuff properly :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Three strikes and your out!!!!! Four days after getting my third set of Hayes calipers installed and they're leaking again. This bike has been in to the dealer five times for the same issue, crazy.

Steve

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sorry to hear about all this back and forth - that sucks. Please don’t think I’m trolling here, but is there any discernible loss of braking power with this leak, or is it just annoying (actually, unacceptable with a $20K+ bike)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The brakes feel good but they should never leak in a closed system. Please see the link I've attached, we lost a motorcycle police officer here riding a 1250RT after he hit a wall, why??? The NHTSA has taken over the investigation after I informed them of this and of my ongoing issue with these brakes.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's part 2 from today with the right side now leaking also after getting my third set of Hayes calipers installed, five times at the dealer for this.

Steve

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
The brakes feel good but they should never leak in a closed system. Please see the link I've attached, we lost a motorcycle police officer here riding a 1250RT after he hit a wall, why??? The NHTSA has taken over the investigation after I informed them of this and of my ongoing issue with these brakes.

Steve

Skid marks

Not disputing that there is a problem but the July 1st event may not be related. I am not waiting on a band-aid fix from the fatherland. I am retrofitting Brembos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I received the same letter here in the States from BMW with the same information. I clean my wheels after every ride and I've not noticed any seepage or leaking.
I had my bike at the dealer this past Saturday to look at my non working Aux lights and they checked my front calipers, tech took them apart while I stood there and he showed me they were bone dry and the reservoir was full so no leaks thankfully.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I had my bike at the dealer this past Saturday to look at my non working Aux lights and they checked my front calipers, tech took them apart while I stood there and he showed me they were bone dry and the reservoir was full so no leaks thankfully.
What was the solution for your auxiliary lights? I had a similar problem and found out it was operator error, but could not find the information in my owners manual.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts

Steve

Something to be really concerned about, since leaking brake fluid in close proximity to brake pads is never good! I guess that you are implying that the officer went down because the fluid did get on the pads! I think that the probability is good, unless proven otherwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Something to be really concerned about, since leaking brake fluid in close proximity to brake pads is never good! I guess that you are implying that the officer went down because the fluid did get on the pads! I think that the probability is good, unless proven otherwise.

I just wanted to notify the NHTSA of this accident since it was also a RT and let them help find the cause. Is this related to the brake issues or just an unfortunate accident, time will tell.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is my bike in the video and today I filed my third complaint with the NHTSA over this issue. Please do the same if your bike has ever had any seeping, weeping or leaking Hayes brake calipers.

Steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
They they should have stuck with the Brembos which they used all the way back to the Oil Heads and maybe even longer. Never had an issue like this with them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Today Nov 10, the dealer is picking up my bike to remove the third set of leaking Hayes calipers and installing my fourth set. I've had my bike 7 months and two of them it's sat parked because of this ongoing issue, sad.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just returned from the dealer with my FOURTH set of Hayes calipers in 7 months, they also replaced the rim. The clock is ticking on these to start leaking, stay tuned.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I am, as always, just curious - - - - why did they replaced the rim?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts