BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the location of the diagnostic port on the 2019 R1250RTW?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm not totally sure but I think it is the same as the 2017 and newer R1200RT. They are located just in front of the battery on the right side under the black cover that is above the engine. The cover requires a t-25 torx to remove the 2 screws for removal.

Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not totally sure but I think it is the same as the 2017 and newer R1200RT. They are located just in front of the battery on the right side under the black cover that is above the engine. The cover requires a t-25 torx to remove the 2 screws for removal.

Ron

I looked there and didn’t see it, I don’t think it’s round anymore. That’s where it was located on my 2015.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
No it isn't round anymore. They changed it to a normal OBD2 trapezoidal shaped connector. It is lodged in a holder than can be difficult to remove. I tab must be depressed as the unit is pulled out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the port, I also found out the GS-911 program has not been updated to include the R1250RT. So it didn’t do me much good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

I just received my OBDLink LX, but I'm having issues connecting to my 2019 R1250RT. I tried it first on my car (Subaru), and it worked fine, so I have the bluetooth paired, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm using a Windows laptop running OBDwiz. When I try to connect I can see that both the interface and ECU are connected (the little lines go from red to yellow. But it seems to hang up on the step trying to run OBD Protocol, which is set to automatic. It attempts three times, it confirms that both the ecu and the IBD are working, then I get the standard message to check 4 things: scan tool is connected, ignition is on, check that OBD2 protocol is set to the right one or Automatic, and that the bike is OBD2 compliant. I pretty sure all that is okay. I have some questions in my mind about whether the ignition is in the correct position. I have the pushbutton start system. I press the button once, all the gauges go through their test, and that's where I leave it. Is that correct? If I press the button again, it turns off everything.

What am I missing? It worked fine on my Subaru. The bluetooth is paired, and the proper lights are flashing on the OBDLink. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
Re: 2019 R1250RT OBDLink LX Not Working (using OBDwiz on a PC)

I just received my OBDLink LX, but I'm having issues connecting to my 2019 R1250RT. I tried it first on my car (Subaru), and it worked fine, so I have the bluetooth paired, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm using a Windows laptop running OBDwiz. When I try to connect I can see that both the interface and ECU are connected (the little lines go from red to yellow. But it seems to hang up on the step trying to run OBD Protocol, which is set to automatic. It attempts three times, it confirms that both the ecu and the IBD are working, then I get the standard message to check 4 things: scan tool is connected, ignition is on, check that OBD2 protocol is set to the right one or Automatic, and that the bike is OBD2 compliant. I pretty sure all that is okay. I have some questions in my mind about whether the ignition is in the correct position. I have the pushbutton start system. I press the button once, all the gauges go through their test, and that's where I leave it. Is that correct? If I press the button again, it turns off everything.

What am I missing? It worked fine on my Subaru. The bluetooth is paired, and the proper lights are flashing on the OBDLink. Thanks in advance.
To use it on your RT, you need the MotoScan app, that is only available on Android.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183799-alternative-gs-911-a.html

·
Registered
8 Posts

To use it on your RT, you need the MotoScan app, that is only available on Android.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183799-alternative-gs-911-a.html
I had read your long entry about all this, and it was the basis for my purchasing the OBDLink LX. I understood you (and Amazon's specs) to say that this setup would require an Android smart phone OR a Windows PC or laptop. Is there something different about the R1250RT? The Windows PC worked fine on my Subaru.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts

I had read your long entry about all this, and it was the basis for my purchasing the OBDLink LX. I understood you (and Amazon's specs) to say that this setup would require an Android smart phone OR a Windows PC or laptop. Is there something different about the R1250RT? The Windows PC worked fine on my Subaru.
The key thing is the MotoScan app! Without that app, you won't be able to communicate with the bike! R1250RT should be quite fine, since I do see it listed in the app.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quick followup: OBDLink Support got back to me and confirmed what PadG said. Unless I want to buy an Android phone, I guess I'm out of luck. I asked the Support guy if the OBDLink MX would work, since it can be used with an iPhone. He said I'd have the same issue....only Android and MotoScan app can be used on some motorcycles. Has anyone tried using the the OBDLink MX with an iPhone running MotoScan? Any luck?

·
Registered
1 Posts

If anyone is interested I was able to get this combination to work on my 2018 RT.
1) Amazon Fire 7 tablet ($50 bucks)
2) ODBLink LX ($60 bucks)
3) MotoScan For BMW Motorcycles ($45 bucks)

Getting the Fire Tablet to run Google Play store so MotoScan can install (Priceless)
h t t p s slash slash : world wide web dot androidpolice dot com/2020/06/09/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet

I was able to reset the service date, and look at other settings. I will try other things after I unlock the full version of MotoScan.

Update: The ODBLink folks have an app on the playstore for the device so it works on cars with that app, and my bike with the MotoScan app.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Just adding some info on the iphone issue.... The reason apple doesnt work well with a lot of OBD tools is Bluetooth LE, low energy..Apple locks down their device to a very small set of standards you need to adhere too. The actual obd device needs to be able to use this protocol or the iphone is unable to recognize it. When pairing an apple device to a LE item, you will note that it does NOT show up when scanning for bluetooth devices like android. App devs need to write a snipit of code to look for the LE device, then automatically pair it...

The other thing on OBD devices, they are basically all the same.. Now before you kill me, please understand why i say that.. The physical OBD device is simply a comms device. It allows your bike or car to have a physical gateway to your phone/tablet. Its the app that is programmed to listen for and comm's device, then will capture the PID's, the actual ECU messages that are being spoken. The app then takes these messages and displays the results based on the pid...

Each PID is different and based on the required open protocols of OBD II.... If the app is a good one, it will log these messages and you can display online.

A couple friends and I got really board and build a dashboard for our cars which lets log all our trips and capture the data to display later. Nobody can look while riding, so never had an app that really helped. So we now take long trips and if a variable goes out of tolerance, it alerts and sends an email... Basically letting us know if theres an issue before theres an issue idea..

Heres a display and ill post back if we can do the same for bikes, no reason why not...

Capture.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts

Just adding some info on the iphone issue.... The reason apple doesnt work well with a lot of OBD tools is Bluetooth LE, low energy..Apple locks down their device to a very small set of standards you need to adhere too. The actual obd device needs to be able to use this protocol or the iphone is unable to recognize it. When pairing an apple device to a LE item, you will note that it does NOT show up when scanning for bluetooth devices like android. App devs need to write a snipit of code to look for the LE device, then automatically pair it...

The other thing on OBD devices, they are basically all the same.. Now before you kill me, please understand why i say that.. The physical OBD device is simply a comms device. It allows your bike or car to have a physical gateway to your phone/tablet. Its the app that is programmed to listen for and comm's device, then will capture the PID's, the actual ECU messages that are being spoken. The app then takes these messages and displays the results based on the pid...

Each PID is different and based on the required open protocols of OBD II.... If the app is a good one, it will log these messages and you can display online.

A couple friends and I got really board and build a dashboard for our cars which lets log all our trips and capture the data to display later. Nobody can look while riding, so never had an app that really helped. So we now take long trips and if a variable goes out of tolerance, it alerts and sends an email... Basically letting us know if theres an issue before theres an issue idea..

Heres a display and ill post back if we can do the same for bikes, no reason why not...

View attachment 157701
Read this thread and get all of the FACTS! :) https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183799-alternative-gs-911-a.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts