BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping some one can help me out with the differences between these years. .I had been riding a 2002 k1200lt since new with absolutely no issues.
Wife and I decide to ride from Dallas tx (home) to mount rushmore.on the way home just over the S.D. line into NOWHERE KS at 12 noon 2 very large mule deer jump from the left side in unison the n run Parallel to us one tries to cut in front goes under front tire rear hoofs kick off right side mirror....second deer leans in to us and get head stuck down by radiator and gets sucked under. . Goes just off center to the left goes under my j pegs , his rear end hits my wife's ankle and breaks her tibia ,cracks my left saddle bag aand poops on it and in it.......we never went down-twodead deer.
Insurance totals the bike and I actually came out well. My wife sees this 2019 r1250gs hp pkg and loves it....we buy the top box with pads....shopwont let her ride passenger because she does not have motorcycle endorsement.
I run up and down the street aand love it...
Was actually thinking of down sizing bikes (weightwise)..
So nowi have this nice new bike with all the bells and whistles.... we ride 188 miles and she hates it! Too uncomfortable for passenger...I explain it's not a touring bike.....

She says let's look at harleys....I now have a 2019 road glide ultra added stage 3 cam heads d &d pipes....our packtalk bold wont work with it...my k1200 will smoke it, its loud handles like crap

So I guess I'm a dyed in the wool bmw guy. Long story short have 465 miles on the harley, it's going and a k1600gtl is in my sights...so trying to find out what's different on the 2020 from the 2019?

Also just saw an older k1600gtl exclusive are they no longer made? Help me out guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm hoping
some one can help me out with the differences between these years. .I had been riding a 2002 k1200lt since new with absolutely no issues.
Wife and I decide to ride from Dallas tx (home) to mount rushmore.on the way home just over the S.D. line into NOWHERE KS at 12 noon 2 very large mule deer jump from the left side in unison the n run Parallel to us one tries to cut in front goes under front tire rear hoofs kick off right side mirror....second deer leans in to us and get head stuck down by radiator and gets sucked under. . Goes just off center to the left goes under my j pegs , his rear end hits my wife's ankle and breaks her tibia ,cracks my left saddle bag aand poops on it and in it.......we never went down-twodead deer.
Insurance totals the bike and I actually came out well. My wife sees this 2019 r1250gs hp pkg and loves it....we buy the top box with pads....shopwont let her ride passenger because she does not have motorcycle endorsement.
I run up and down the street aand love it...
Was actually thinking of down sizing bikes (weightwise)..
So nowi have this nice new bike with all the bells and whistles.... we ride 188 miles and she hates it! Too uncomfortable for passenger...I explain it's not a touring bike.....

She says let's look at harleys....I now have a 2019 road glide ultra added stage 3 cam heads d &d pipes....our packtalk bold wont work with it...my k1200 will smoke it, its loud handles like crap

So I guess I'm a dyed in the wool bmw guy. Long story short have 465 miles on the harley, it's going and a k1600gtl is in my sights...so trying to find out what's different on the 2020 from the 2019?

Also just saw an older k1600gtl exclusive are they no longer made? Help me out guys!
Well that's quite a story and sorry to here that your wife got injuries from the deer.

I have had a k200lt for the past 14 years and until this year had been very happy with it. But this year the servo brakes have gave no end of trouble so I converted it to non servo brakes.
But then my wife and I decided it was getting too old for taking on holiday in Europe so we have a 2020 model K1600GTL sitting in the dealers showroom at the moment BUT unable to collect it due to BMW putting a stop-sale on all k1600 bikes at this time.
Also my wife has a R1200gsa and she loves the bike but the pillion seat is terrable on it.
So to answer your question as to the difference between model years of 2019 & 2020 GTL'S is the colour of the switch gear "which is now Black" & the standard colour is now " Black Storm Metallic"
There are no other changes for 2020 models certainly in Europe and I believe world wide.
Hope this helps your decision making and you dodge any more wildlife that's roming about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well that's quite a story and sorry to here that your wife got injuries from the deer.

I have had a k200lt for the past 14 years and until this year had been very happy with it. But this year the servo brakes have gave no end of trouble so I converted it to non servo brakes.
But then my wife and I decided it was getting too old for taking on holiday in Europe so we have a 2020 model K1600GTL sitting in the dealers showroom at the moment BUT unable to collect it due to BMW putting a stop-sale on all k1600 bikes at this time.
Also my wife has a R1200gsa and she loves the bike but the pillion seat is terrable on it.
So to answer your question as to the difference between model years of 2019 & 2020 GTL'S is the colour of the switch gear "which is now Black" & the standard colour is now " Black Storm Metallic"
There are no other changes for 2020 models certainly in Europe and I believe world wide.
Hope this helps your decision making and you dodge any more wildlife that's roming about.
I bought a new 2019 R1250Rt about 2 weeks ago, put a top box on it and fog lights as it was on the Promo price till end of last month. I bought white as I love white in all my cars and last 3 BMW`s being the same colour also. I had a 2018 Roadmaster stage 2 cams stage 1 exhaust and air filter and loved the bike it was so comfy but thought I would go back to a BMW so after tossing up between a GTL and I had an Rt in 2016 the in 2017 bought a GTL loved that more so. Like you, I wanted to lose some weight the RoadMaster was 422 kg the GTL is around 72 kg lighter but the R1250RT is 280 kg so I went with the RT , Anyway 2 weeks on and after a mear 1,300 klms later as much as I love the RT for handling, speed and overall a nice bike to ride with the new Hillcontrol that I hated on my 2016 RT is so far advanced on the older models including my 2017 GTL. I love the bike but after even short rides of about 360 klms I get off and my neck, hurts like hell my shoulders are like a vice and I feel as if my head is full of drugs (not that I would know as I am silly enough without taking them lol) So I went back to the dealership yesterday spoke to the Dealer Principal, who I get on really well with after buying so many bikes over the years. He agreed that he has the same issues and asked if I wanted a different bike and if so he would do a deal that would be too good to refuse and I would not lose too much on the changeover price. Ok, I know this is getting a bit long so cutting it short. I told him the reason I bought the Rt was to reduce weight over the Road Master and the GTL is only 70 kg lighter than the Indian but if I had reverse it could help me go back to the GTL. 40 mins later he comes back to me on the phone gave me a price that was that good I could not refuse and did the deal. I placed the order there and then for the 2019 GTL White of course lol. Then after checking on the stock he called me told me One has just arrived in Australia with reverse but there is an issue that BMW has a stop ride and stop sell on the K series due to the Yoke gear selector and the gears could be selected 2 at a time so BMW won't release the bikes till they can come up with a fix. Then he offered me a new bike if I wanted it but as I had to wait till late December or January 2020 he would lone me an older low klm. GTL they have on the floor that has service history and just had a major service done till the new bike can be released and if it is January he will be happy to supply me a 2020 build GTL as a goodwill deal no extra cost. I have no concerns with the gearbox issue as a lot of bikes have recalls and if BMW is doing it. It should be done correctly The bonus part is I get to ride their bike wear their tyres out etc they still service their bike and I save my money. So now I take my RT into them tomorrow so they can sell it without me putting extra klms. on it plus being 2 weeks old he has more chance of selling it now than later on. Looking forward to getting the new GTL whenever they are released as I know they are a great bike after owing my last one in 2017. An added bonus I havea pair of Akraprovice slip ons in my shed off the old GTL and a set of front and rear crash bar that will go straight on the new bike saving me around another $4,000.00 if I had to buy them.

Sorry a long rant but needed to try and explain the whole story lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The only difference you will see between the 19 & 20 is some different colors. If you get a pre 18 K16 you will notice the throttle response is different due to some government regs in Europe I believe which can be changed for some $$. Body work is different along with colors, hill start, shift assist etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts