BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200RT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 R1200RT Instrument Cluster tilt adjustment help needed

I found some very old threads on this subject on this site and others but wanted to try again. I'm the proud new owner of a (new-to-me) 2018 R1200RT. I frequently find the instrument cluster to be at the wrong tilt angle and cannot seem to adjust it. Other forum respondents have suggested pushing the top or bottom very hard until it moves. Mine moves but then immediately returns to the original tilt angle and I never hear or feel the click of a new position. As others have mentioned, I am afraid to push any harder and break it. There is a bar at the bottom of the cluster that I am holding in the attached photo but I don't know if that is related to the tilt of the cluster. I'm not quite ready to take the whole dashboard apart to troubleshoot but am close. And I don't really want to pay the dealership to troubleshoot something I think I ought to be able to figure out myself.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your hands are way too low in the picture. The dash display runs from the top of the two analog circles to the gap directly above your left thumb. If you're trying to raise it, put each thumb on the very top of the two circles and press harder than you think, or with both thumbs as described, alternate pushing on the left and right. You'll hear a sharp pop as each of the 2 or 3 indents slips past it's stop. To lower it put your thumbs on the bottom of the two circles and push.
You do NOT want to push anywhere on the display that is not supported by the edges. Just wiggle the dash a bit to see what I mean where it is.

Note: You'll have an easier time if you unlock the bike and straighten the handlebars before doing this.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200RT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your hands are way too low in the picture. The dash display runs from the top of the two analog circles to the gap directly above your left thumb. If you're trying to raise it, put each thumb on the very top of the two circles and press harder than you think, or with both thumbs as described, alternate pushing on the left and right. You'll hear a sharp pop as each of the 2 or 3 indents slips past it's stop. To lower it put your thumbs on the bottom of the two circles and push.
You do NOT want to push anywhere on the display that is not supported by the edges. Just wiggle the dash a bit to see what I mean where it is.

Note: You'll have an easier time if you unlock the bike and straighten the handlebars before doing this.

Hope this helps
Wow!
Thank you so much Rainman48!
I was able to adjust based on your advice “put each thumb on the very top of the two circles and press harder than you think”.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts