BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased a optimate cam bus charger and used it over the winter on my bike that was stored in a detached garage with no heat. When I went to start it for the first time I only saw a red light on the instrument panel for a short time. I took the battery out and charged it . I had the battery load tested and it is good. I checked the 15a and 7.5a fuses, all ok. I was wondering if there is something I'm missing or has anyone else experienced this problem. I purchase the bike in 2018 and have 12000 miles on it and would like put many more on it. I live in Syracuse NY where we have winter season. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Seems like the charger was not set properly to trigger acceptance by the bike computer. Charging through the can buss system is not the easiest way. Optimate chargers are my favorite, I own a couple of them. I suggest you set up a pig tail with a 15 amp inline fuse directly to the battery and leave the other end exposed or plumb in an additional DIN socket. This will be a good source of power for heated gear or an air pump in case of a flat. Your battery now has diminished capacity so, keep an eye on it. You can only run them down so many times. If it is the original battery I personally would buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you think if I put a new battery that would solve my problem. when I turn the bike on I have nothing. the red light stays on for about 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I have it setup as beech mentions, but I'm on my second battery on my 2017 RT; well, really my 3rd battery. A couple of years ago going out West to Big Bend NP I had to replace my original battery with a near compatible one from a Walmart store. I replaced it last summer with an OEM battery when my tender pig tail fuse blew and I didn't notice it for a while. If I stored my bike for all of winter I think I'd remove it from the bike (tight squeeze) and just keep it on a battery tender, but I don't know if that would be the best thing to do? If your battery is good then I'm not sure what electronic problem you're having.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
So it is not starting after your charge attempt?
Measure with a volt meter across the battery terminals what the voltage is just standing there, now with the key on, now when you hit the starter button. These three items will help. (OEM batteries are very expensive) I use Yuasa
I think for now you need to clip onto the terminals and charge directly rather than try spoofing the computer with the Optimate Can Buss charger system. Does it have a selector switch on the charger for Can systems?
I believe but please double check the RT uses a series 14 amp hour battery. I use this one in my K bike:
It comes with a self fill acid pack that is easy to use. Follow all directions including the wait after fill period for acid to soak in, the charge before use for several hours etc..
I'm still wondering if you have hooked up that optimate charger correctly...smack me around if needed!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went out to check on the battery and it is reading 12.74VDC I still have the red dot on to the right of my instrument panel. the bike is not turning on. I press the on switch and I get the red dot for a second.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beech hi, thank you for the info, I called San Jose BMW and asked the service tech and he said to check the simple things like the key fob. Well the key fob was 2.7vdc, I changed it out and it started like nothing ever happened. So it was probably good when I tried it first. So if anyone sees a red dot for a second it's the key fob. Now I'll be good at taking the battery out and reinstalling!!! Thank you for responding to my question.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
All's well that ends well. Never gave a thought to Key Fob but now it will inter my thoughts on these new bikes. I should know better, just changed the battery in the wife's fob for her subaru. The range was going down so it was a preventative strike. Chalk it up to another maintenance item. Change the battery when you do the brake fluid every two years.

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts
You have to turn the bike on to open the canbus system. You then plug the live charger plug it in to the port. Once the port see power, it will start to charge... turn off the bike after that. The canbus will stay alive to charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
You have to turn the bike on to open the canbus system. You then plug the live charger plug it in to the port. Once the port see power, it will start to charge... turn off the bike after that. The canbus will stay alive to charge the battery.
Actually, to my surprise, that isn't true with the wethead, and presumably later model bikes! I had found that I could plug my charger in well after the network had shut down, and it will actually wake up the network to work properly! Found this out when I had the 2014 RT.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I have two BMW battery chargers that stay on my 07 and 15 RT's.
Here's a link to what I have.
I bought both on ebay paying less than $100 each.
Tried several different chargers over the years - including the older BMW chargers but nothing beats the BMW solid state chargers IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you plug the Canbus charger into the bike , then switch of the charger while still connected to the bike. When you switch the charger on, the CANBUS will wake up

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Dark Blue; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
145 Posts
Hi, I purchased a optimate cam bus charger and used it over the winter on my bike that was stored in a detached garage with no heat. When I went to start it for the first time I only saw a red light on the instrument panel for a short time. I took the battery out and charged it . I had the battery load tested and it is good. I checked the 15a and 7.5a fuses, all ok. I was wondering if there is something I'm missing or has anyone else experienced this problem. I purchase the bike in 2018 and have 12000 miles on it and would like put many more on it. I live in Syracuse NY where we have winter season. Any help would be appreciated.
I also have a 2017. It was the last 2017 at the dealership in mid 2018.

The folks who have answered already have good ideas. 1. Set up a direct plug to your battery that's fused. 2. Your accessory socket will charge up the battery, but here's how that goes: You have to turn the ignition on. This activates electrical system. Now put the charger in the accessory socket on the bike, THEN plug the charger in. The charger needs to be plugged into the battery system and bike needs to be on before you plug charger into the wall. Finally turn off the ignition. The accessory plug will stay active only as long as the battery is charging. When that's done, it shuts everything off. This, btw, is a good way also the charge up your navigation device.

Obviously, you can't just plug the charger into the accessory outlet and leave it on the charger. It won't work. The bike shuts off the acc outlet and that cuts the connection to the charger.

I also have a direct plug to my battery. It is fused. I use it for heated gear and for my portable compressor. I could use it to charge my battery but I don't. I use the accessory plug. Here's why....Most of these small chargers don't really tend the battery that well. I find it much better to use the ACC socket every 3 or 4 weeks during winter. It will fully charge and shut off. My original battery is working just fine. I also have a heated garage and I take the bike out when opportunity knocks all year long. I live in Chicago...about the same climate as you....maybe a little less snow?

Anyway, works for me...so far.

One more thing. If your battery is suspect, replace it. It's the cheapest thing you can do to prevent electrical problems. I've found over the years that low voltage is not the friend of a bike or car's electrical components. Once hard or no starting starts, electrical components start going south, it becomes sort of a never-ending problem. So...keep the voltage where it should be. If that means a new battery, then get one as a first thing, not as last resort. You'll save money in the long run.

😎

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
That's not how the BMW chargers I have works.
The motorcycle does not have to be turned on.
Just plug the connector into the on board socket, plug the charger into the electrical connection and charging will automatically commence.
It will at first come on and display the message, I think it's like "not connected" then it triggers CanBus and starts charging.
Once charged to 100%, the charger stays on for a short period of time and shuts off automatically.
Mine have stayed connected when the bikes are not being ridden.
Periodically, the charger will come on, check the battery, then charge if needed or go to sleep if not needed.
I noticed when I went into the garage a few hours ago that the one on my 15 RT was on and indicating a 100% charge.
Went out to take a photo. Everything was off. Unplugged the charger from the power and plugged it back in. See photo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is not the case with my Optimate 4. Just plug it in the accessory socket and it will wake up the CANbus and start charging. The ignition does not have to be turned on.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The folks who have answered already have good ideas. 1. Set up a direct plug to your battery that's fused. 2. Your accessory socket will charge up the battery, but here's how that goes: You have to turn the ignition on. This activates electrical system. Now put the charger in the accessory socket on the bike, THEN plug the charger in. The charger needs to be plugged into the battery system and bike needs to be on before you plug charger into the wall. Finally turn off the ignition. The accessory plug will stay active only as long as the battery is charging. When that's done, it shuts everything off. This, btw, is a good way also the charge up your navigation device.

Obviously, you can't just plug the charger into the accessory outlet and leave it on the charger. It won't work. The bike shuts off the acc outlet and that cuts the connection to the charger.

I also have a direct plug to my battery. It is fused. I use it for heated gear and for my portable compressor. I could use it to charge my battery but I don't. I use the accessory plug. Here's why....Most of these small chargers don't really tend the battery that well. I find it much better to use the ACC socket every 3 or 4 weeks during winter. It will fully charge and shut off. My original battery is working just fine. I also have a heated garage and I take the bike out when opportunity knocks all year long. I live in Chicago...about the same climate as you....maybe a little less snow?

One more thing. If your battery is suspect, replace it. It's the cheapest thing you can do to prevent electrical problems. I've found over the years that low voltage is not the friend of a bike or car's electrical components. Once hard or no starting starts, electrical components start going south, it becomes sort of a never-ending problem. So...keep the voltage where it should be. If that means a new battery, then get one as a first thing, not as last resort. You'll save money in the long run.

😎
Hey I have the same cobalt b

😎
Hi, I have the same bike as you Cobalt Black and I bought it april of 18. I have 12000 miles on it . I took it for a spin tonight. New tires Michelin GT5s they feel pretty good. I'm going to take it to the dealer for the 12000 mile checkup. Did you do yours yet or do you do your own wrenching. I had a 2000 1200LT and this bike is 200lbs lighter, I love it. How do you like the sargent seat. My inseam is 30 so I need a seat that lowers for me to get my feet flat. I have a road hawk that helps a little. the stock seat sucks. Thanks for the info

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts
I have a small 2 amp Battery Tender ($32) and it has to have the system on, plug it in, then turn off...(2016RT)
I don't have BMW charger money like you guys... ( I am poor and only have one bike):LOL:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts