BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. I would like to know what I have to do to lower it a inch or 2 so I could flat foot when I'm at a stop lite. I live in upstate ny and would like to know the cost to have it done.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
369 Posts
Have you tried these lowering seat pucks? A couple of my friends have and think they are great for the cost.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi i am 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. I would like to know what I have to do to lower it a inch or 2 so I could flat foot when I'm at a stop lite. I live in upstate ny and would like to know the cost to have it done.
I'm 5'4" and got the seat height down to just under 31" so this should work. If you don't have an already low seat, get one. Next check the bracket for the rubber bobbles, on my RT you can turn it upside down and win an inch. If you buy the off center bobbles they score another 3/4 inch.
If non of the above works then I would get the bobbles first, try them and then find a car upholstery shop and trim the seat. Not sure how much in dollars but here it came to R750 South African, about $50-60. Wunderlich in Germany manufacture quality seats and lowering mounts with lifetime guarantee but can be pricey. They are worth a look.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you already have the short seat installed?
No I just have the stock seat and it's not to comfortable. My seats are heated. I'm thinking about getting something more comfortable. Sargent or RDL. I know they don't help in the height of the seat but I don't like the stock seat. I bought the seat lowering kit and the only time that I can get close to flat footing is when I'm in the dynamic mode.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I know they don't help in the height of the seat but I don't like the stock seat.
That's incorrect. You can order the low Sargent [with or without heat] and it will most certainly get you lower to the ground. I have one. Also, RDL DOES offer low versions of their seats.

From Russell:

" BUILT TO YOUR REQUIREMENTS
Your Day-Long Touring Saddle is built to fit your particular driver/passenger combination. We use your height, weight, inseam and waist measurements, along with photos of you and your passenger seated on your old motorcycle seat. With this information we can determine the proper size and shape of your seat, and position it forward, rearward, or higher as needed to accommodate your size, build and posture for maximum comfort."

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
9 Posts
I too am vertically challenged. I rode to Seth Laam in Northern California and had him craft a new seat. Huge difference from the stock seat. I have 50k on my Laam seat and no issues. It was a game changer for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too am 5'8" and with the Sargeant Low seat and single helmet preload setting I have no problems reaching the floor. I'm on a 2018 RT. Unfortunately it's still a heavy bike even with the lowered seat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I too am vertically challenged. I rode to Seth Laam in Northern California and had him craft a new seat. Huge difference from the stock seat. I have 50k on my Laam seat and no issues. It was a game changer for me.
Totally agree, after the standard and low OEM, then the Sargent, and now finally for me I’ve also visited Seth Laam on my RT. And what a difference in instant comfort, and more comfortable for me compared to my old Sargent seat, also cheaper than Sargent. Now multiple 700 mile days in a row on my Seth Laam seat is a breeze!

It was a Win Win for this 31” inseam RT enthusiast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am short and fat. No bike manufacturer or riding jacket manufacturer intended people like me to ride motorcycles. I have a 29 inch inseam. Lowered seat, tried the rubber pucks. I find that if I ride my 2018 RT in firm and with luggage selection dialed in, I have trouble reaching the ground. I already have 30,000 on this bike, so I think I can safely say, Its going to continue to be an issue. Beemer Shops Ted Porter installed now spring/shocks that are lower by 30 MM. TRACTIVE ESA SUSPENSION UPGRADE-30MM Its not a huge difference, but it was enough to make a big difference in my comfort, safety . I guess I could have bought boots with thicker souls for a lot less money. Just saying..

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I had 1/2 inch thick soles added to my BMW Allround boots. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 R1200RT Low Factory heated Seat that I would be willing to sell you that will probably solve the problem. I have a 30" inseam, and I am totally flat footed in tennis shoes on my 14' with that seat. Let me know, if your interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a factory low heated seat. Don’t need it for anything. PM me and we can discuss it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm also short and fat at 5'4" with 26 inch inseam. I mention fat 'cuz thicker thighs mean less reach to the ground (losing 50lbs helped a lot when I went from 250 to 200)
There aren't really ANY bikes I can flat foot besides cruisers which are not my preference.

In July I bought a 2021 R1250RT at Bob's BMW and rode it home to Florida with the stock seat in the lower of the 2 positions (metal bracket under the seat) without any issues or near disaster events.
I've always felt that if you are a really good rider there IS no reason to flat foot with BOTH feet as you should be stopping with right foot on rear brake and left foot on ground.
I just shift my ass to the left as needed...
Of course given my height that's the best I can do anyway LOL

When I got home I did order a Sargent heated low seat set for 2 reasons - a little flatter left foot at stops, and I like the foam they use far better than stock seats.

I also have a 2016 R1200 GS Adv Low suspension that I added Sargent low seat AND the Wunderlich seat lowering bushings that have the offset mounting hole.
This combination gets you about as low as possible without screwing up the bike's cornering clearance by lowering it.
I would not want to lower an RT as it's meant to be ridden in a sporty manner and reducing cornering clearance by lowering it can lead to hard parts scraping which is no bueno!

Another suggestion for getting feet on ground easier would be a pair of Frey Daytona Boots - they have several models that have a 2cm lift in the heel. Not cheap but very well made.

Daytona M Star at Revzilla

Daytona MStar GTX Boots
The Daytona M-Star Gore-Tex Boots feature premium performance, protection and style, all backed with a GORE-TEX membrane, guaranteed to keep you dry. Safety is supplied by reinforcements at the ankles and heels while the boot has an adjustable calf to tailor the fit. The M Star GTX Boots also feature a unique, 2.5cm insole rise to provide critical, extra height for better control of your bike when you are at a stop.

I guess as someone 5'4" I can't understand how someone 4" taller than I am would feel a need to lower the bike but it's all personal preference and I've learned to adapt.
I DO know the R18 lets even ME flat foot it :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
21 Posts
A word of warning for "low" seats. I ordered a low seat from Sargent for my 2018 R1200GS Rallye. When it I arrived and I installed it my heals were about 1/2" higher off the ground. Apparently the low seat is a little wider so bowed my legs out making my feet less flat footed on the ground. It cost me about $65 to return it. I also tried the BMW low seat for the same bike and it showed no improvement toward flat footedness. At least I tried it at the dealer and didn't have to spend money to return it. The best way I know to lower seat height is to have a motorcycle seat upholsterer remove the seat cover, shave the seat down to fit your bum and add some thin foam to make it more comfy. That will prolly cost less than a new seat also.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
A word of warning for "low" seats. I ordered a low seat from Sargent for my 2018 R1200GS Rallye. When it I arrived and I installed it my heals were about 1/2" higher off the ground. Apparently the low seat is a little wider so bowed my legs out making my feet less flat footed on the ground. It cost me about $65 to return it. I also tried the BMW low seat for the same bike and it showed no improvement toward flat footedness. At least I tried it at the dealer and didn't have to spend money to return it. The best way I know to lower seat height is to have a motorcycle seat upholsterer remove the seat cover, shave the seat down to fit your bum and add some thin foam to make it more comfy. That will prolly cost less than a new seat also.
I have Sargent low seats on a 2016 GSA Low suspension and a 2021 RT as I'm 5'4" and you just have to slide FWD as you put legs down - I thought it was just wider in the back?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts