BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tell me more about your back rests and who are the seats from? RDL ?
Not much to tell you answered your own question the seat were done by RDL. An option available with RDL seats is a rider back rest. Very comfortable for long rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
As an owner of a 2017 BMW R1200RT, I am now faced with a major and expensive repair bill. During routine maintenance at a local BMW dealer it was discovered my camshafts are wearing prematurely. The bike was purchased this past June with 13K and now has 17K. At this time, I am waiting to hear from the BMW dealer to see if they will offer an assistance with the cost of repairs. Did I mention the cost is $3,500! 😳 What I find most interesting is BMW acknowledged there were existing problems with premature wear on camshaft. If so, then why not fix the problem? So I sit waiting to hear if they will offer any assistance. So be aware such problem do exist.
It sounds like the top of the lobes is wearing. This will reduce the valve lift gradually as they wear. The effect will be performance will gradually degrade. If it were my bike, first, I'd just look into shopping around for a better deal, since it is NOT a problem that will cause a failure or more expensive problem later. The only way it seems this would cause any other harm is from metal particles in the oil. But the way you describe it, this is just accelerated wear which does not contaminate the oil. Again, if it were my bike, I would just ride it and enjoy until such time maybe years from now that the performance becomes unacceptable. It may actually never come to that. It could be that the wear slows down at some point based on geometry or metal variation. I think it sux that BMW once again has neglected quality.
Just ride and enjoy. The bike is a lot of fun to ride, even if it's only 90% of factory performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not much to tell you answered your own question the seat were done by RDL. An option available with RDL seats is a rider back rest. Very comfortable for long rides.

What is the top box back rest? It looks nothing like the standard back rest. I am VERY INTERESTED 🤗

·
Registered
119 Posts
What is the top box back rest? It looks nothing like the standard back rest. I am VERY INTERESTED
When I sent the seat to RDL I removed the backrest from the top box and sent it along. RDL covered it to match the seat and padded it a bit for me.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Some uninformed guesses on the cams here! There had been at least a couple of prior threads on the subject of unexpected wearing of the cams on this forum, and if you are interested in the details, you should explore them, or perhaps just look at this one: WORNOUT CAM LOBE

I don't want to repeat myself (sorry muffin, that was why I was a little brief in responding to you), but if you want the details of how camshafts are manufactured, and what I strongly suspect went wrong, read post #25. Typically, when camshaft are made properly, they will show very little wear over their lifetime.

Reactions: alegerlotz

·
Registered
491 Posts
It sounds like the top of the lobes is wearing. This will reduce the valve lift gradually as they wear. The effect will be performance will gradually degrade. <content cut> It may actually never come to that. It could be that the wear slows down at some point based on geometry or metal variation. <content cut> The bike is a lot of fun to ride, even if it's only 90% of factory performance.
I believe that the initial wear is gradual. The overall issue is that hardening of the camshaft wasn't done properly, but some level of hardening occurred or these would be wearing from day one. Once all of the material that got hardened at all wears away, then the rest of the wear is pretty quick. These forums have photos of worn camshafts and we're not talking about thousandths of an inch that are missing on some of them, but 16ths, 8ths, etc... That's a lot material going through the oil system.

If if were my bike I would NOT take leaton's advice and continue to ride it. I would decide between repair it and keep it, repair it and sell it, or trade it in on another bike.

Good luck!

Reactions: Hfjeff and beech

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is the exact reason I had hesitation in buying a BMW and causes me to lose sleep. Coming from an FJR where 100,000 miles without any engine or drivetrain work is the norm, BMW has really gotten sloppy and lost some credibility with this. I realize this was a new generation of engine (RTW) and maybe has something to do with why BMW came out so quickly with the new replacement 1250.

Bob, keep us posted on what you decide and how this works out for you. I honestly feel $3,500 is on the lower end of the repair. I was told by my previous dealer that the cams are $750 ea. x 4 and $1000 labor for a total of $4,000. They may have been a bit high.

I love the RT so much I don't think I could find another bike I would be happy with. Maybe I just need to trade more often and move up to that new 1250.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just took my ‘17 in for 12k service last Wednesday—-4 1/2 hour ride away. My warranty runs out Feb. 13 of this year. Cams looked good. Tech told me he has only found one bike with problems so far.

Rode back, changed my oil and two new tires. She’s ready for this riding season if this COVID thing would abate. Man I wish I had a local dealer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just took my ‘17 in for 12k service last Wednesday—-4 1/2 hour ride away. My warranty runs out Feb. 13 of this year. Cams looked good. Tech told me he has only found one bike with problems so far.

Rode back, changed my oil and two new tires. She’s ready for this riding season if this COVID thing would abate. Man I wish I had a local dealer.
Just curious, what dealer do you use that's 4 1/2 hours from N Little Rock?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts

My dealer is about 265 miles from my home town and he's the closest BMW dealer. Buying a new bike and first service is a ride home and then straight back to dealer; can do it in a day with no problem.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts