BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a damaged headlight assembly.
Ordered/received new replacement from KFM.
Where can i find instructions on this replacement?
I do not want to pull all the body panels looking to fix if not needed.

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Grille

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Couple hours later and all painted panels, speaker grilles, speakers, a hundred screws, 4 special fasteners, 2 headlight post clips things are going well.

I need to freeze the windshield up, how is this done?

I left the battery hooked up and just motored the windshield brackets up when needed.
You need to reposition the large plastic panel back in place when you shut off power or it appears, to me, the brackets will return and break the panel

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

2 more headlight post clips and it seemed ready for removal.
unplug left side power cable.

Light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Machine

You can see two of the white grommets where posts with clips are fastened.
There are 6 of these posts , you can see the clips on the lift.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Been broken for 2 years , worked fine, required a headlight lens cover to minimize water and debris. But today is the day for new headlight assembly.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
436 Posts
re: "I need to freeze the windshield up, how is this done? "

Lol, gosh, I wish I could remember how I did that. Maybe I clamped it while it was up, or just blocked it from going down. All I can remember, is that I put it together wrong, and had to redo it. Take pictures of all of the rivet and bolt positions, and which side the bolts mount on, because what's self-evident coming off, ain't the same way going back on. 🙄

The other problem I had, which you've evidently figured out, is that there are two types of plastic "push" retainers holding parts of the dash. One pulls out, and the ones on the front of the bike, SCREW out, like a regular metal screw. I have lots of detail, including the manual pages, if you need it. Send me a message and I'll send it to you privately, since some (BMW manual) is copyrighted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had removal issues with both plastic expanding rivets.

Font Auto part Household hardware Metal Fashion accessory
Wood Auto part Tool Metal Hand tool

I suggest you buy new to avoid trying to save these. I was lucky and reused . lubed them up with grease when reinstalled.

RT back together and working fine.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
436 Posts
I had removal issues with both plastic expanding rivets.

View attachment 180266 View attachment 180267

I suggest you buy new to avoid trying to save these. I was lucky and reused . lubed them up with grease when reinstalled.

RT back together and working fine.

View attachment 180268
You did better than me, by leaps and bounds. It took me a week of tinkering and thinking working a couple of hours a day, when I installed the LED lights. Nothing about it was difficult, but stuff like those plastic connectors, I had to ask for advice on forums before I started removing them "ham handed" and broke stuff. Even with the OEM manual, there are things that are not "obvious". Congrats, ride safe, buy a headlight protector shield 🙄😨, and most of all ... have some fun. 👍🍻

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see the bike had a headlight protector in place. Whatever caused the breakage must have been pretty stout. Care to share the story?

Oops, I re-read the post and see the light had broken a couple years ago, then you bought the protector to make it till you replaced the light ass'y.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
436 Posts
I see the bike had a headlight protector in place. Whatever caused the breakage must have been pretty stout. Care to share the story?

Oops, I re-read the post and see the light had broken a couple years ago, then you bought the protector to make it till you replaced the light ass'y.
Yep, reading comprehension is a good thing to have. I suggested he buy one of those protectors, without realizing that he already had one. 😖

·
Registered
365 Posts
@tokig
I started to work on replacing the hi beam headlight bulbs with Cyclops LEDs. At first, I tried to stuff them into that little hole from behind the speakers. There was no way that all that stuff is going to fit inside the headlight assembly unless I take the whole thing apart and put them on my work bench. So, I started removing the panels 1 by 1. Got as far as "Removing Left Front-Fairing Panel" and am stuck. The top right corner (purple square area in picture) does not want to come out. I have tugged on it carefully and it will not come off. In this process, I broke a mounting tab (red rectangle in the picture) which I might be able to get back together.

How can I get these panels off to get the headlight assembly off the motorcycle?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
How can I get these panels off to get the headlight assembly off the motorcycle?

To remove the upper painted panel that surround the headlight,
the speaker pods need to be removed to access two panel screws (maybe one) AND one large plastic pop fastener shown above.
There is a final panel plug at the very forward tip of this painted panel that easily unplugs.
Make sure the speaker pods/covers are the last items you install.

I find the manual illustrations hilarious.
only after the work will they make sense.

·
Registered
365 Posts
@tokig Thanks for the pointers. @Scott9999 pointed out one important thing to me. My ride is the police version and it seems to be different from the civilian version.

In trying to remove that painted surround panels, I've now successfully broken 2 tabs :eek::mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts