BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2016 R1200RT. Getting familiar with everything and was wondering about the right side locking glove box. Thinking of putting an old iPhone in the box with all my music,and plugging into the provided aux connection. But, the owners manual warns about excesssive temperatures that might be experienced.

Any words of wisdom as to what not to store inside the box? Wondering if a phone might get cooked?

Thx

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I use a USB stick filled with music and it works well. On my 2012 the wonder wheel control of the iPhone isn’t always reliable.
Just bought a 18RT and really figuring out all that it does. Now, I just use the iphone and my sena helmet device, it doesn't go thru bike at all.
For the bike to play music thru speakers or head set, it would have to have a pre-loaded app and the music on stick would have to be in that format, right?

Reactions: MBevans

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I recently bought a used 2016 R1200RT. Getting familiar with everything and was wondering about the right side locking glove box. Thinking of putting an old iPhone in the box with all my music,and plugging into the provided aux connection. But, the owners manual warns about excesssive temperatures that might be experienced.

Any words of wisdom as to what not to store inside the box? Wondering if a phone might get cooked?

Thx
Just like the others, I also put my music, in MP3 format, on a microSD chip and connect it to the RT's USB input via a tiny USB reader. That had worked the best with access to select your music via the "Wonderwheel" on your left grip.

To answer your specific question, the answer is that you should be quite fine as long as you take the iPhone out if you intend to park the RT in direct sun, on a very hot day! You should note that you canNOT just hook your iPhone up directly to the input inside that cubby, but you will need to purchase an Apple adapter, which is quite expensive, IMHO. The other problem that you will have is that, unless you have the older iPhone that is a bit shorter in length than the newer models, you may have problems fitting it and the attached adapter into that cubby!

The Apple adapter will give you access to the music in your iPhone/iPod, and allow you to make selections, using the wonderwheel, as if you were doing it on the iPhone itself. However, if you can get your music (ONLY in MP3 format) onto a USB stick, or something along that line, you will have the same capability, and with even more options available! This is from personal experience of having had an iPod connected in there, before changing to the USB setup that I am using now!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Similar to what others have stated ... I use a very small iPod that has my 400 song play list on it. I bought a used BMW Media Cable that others have mentioned. With the iPod and the cable it is truly plug and play and I can control all through the wonder wheel. Also, as noted even with my small iPod it is a tight fit so not sure if an iPhone, especially the 10's or later, would fit. But mine plays through the bike and works great. I am probably in the minority but not a fan of music in my headset. I use my Sena only for chatting with my riding buddies, usually just one or two of us on a trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THanks for the input. Very helpful. No matter what, if I leave things in the glove box, I’ll be sure to cover the box with something when parked in the Texas summer sun. 105 degrees today! Gets unbearable in July and August here.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I keep my iPhone plugged in the right cubby and do frequently--you just do need to be mindful if you're riding in severe hot weather. I don't have audio package so listen to tunes via the Sena headset.

Reactions: andybrwn

·
Registered
632 Posts

Thx
You can ride the RT with the door open; your phone won't fly out. I doubt if it would get so hot in there while riding that it would cook an iPhone. You can find digital thermometers that read temperature and humidity over time at places like Lowe's or Home Depot; buy one and place it in there and see what you see. Otherwise, I just run my S9 on a RAMmount every mile I'm riding (rain, clear, hot, cold, whatever) and it's never failed. I downloaded all of my Amazon Music to my phone, stream it to my Sena 20S, and play it in offline mode.

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
I use an old iPod mini. Works no matter what the temp is. iPhone is a different story. You will need one of these. The upside to the iPod / iPhone is it will play anything you put on it. The thumb drive trick is limited to mp3's and you had to index each folder of music. Not sure if that is still true as I have been using the iPod for 10 years

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I use an old iPod mini. Works no matter what the temp is. iPhone is a different story. You will need one of these. The upside to the iPod / iPhone is it will play anything you put on it. The thumb drive trick is limited to mp3's and you had to index each folder of music. Not sure if that is still true as I have been using the iPod for 10 years

View attachment 170448
Correct on the format having to be MP3 and MP3 only. Lots of easy and free conversion programs out there, if your music is in other format. However, you do NOT have to index or do anything special with the folders, IF you have the wethead or newer models! The plus side of using the thump drive and MP3 is that you will be presented with more selection options over using an iPod. Again, speaking as someone who had done both, and abandoned the iPod after about a year's use.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Thx
I put reflective material under the iPhone. Works fine in all weather. My biggest problem is that the battery on the iPhone goes flat if I don't ride the bike enough. If I ride 30 minutes, music comes on. That's more of an iPhone problem, for sure.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Correct on the format having to be MP3 and MP3 only. Lots of easy and free conversion programs out there, if your music is in other format. However, you do NOT have to index or do anything special with the folders, IF you have the wethead or newer models! The plus side of using the thump drive and MP3 is that you will be presented with more selection options over using an iPod. Again, speaking as someone who had done both, and abandoned the iPod after about a year's use.
Using my iPod and the BMW Media cable I can use the wonder wheel to change volume and thumb through my play list up or down. iPod is small enough to nicely fit into the right cubby and no heat issues at all. For me it works like a champ. Also, you can get a non-BMW media cable for about $20

1 - 14 of 14 Posts