BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS What do you all think? I'm just looking at some options while waiting on my trans. to show up.

Robert

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS What do you all think? I'm just looking at some options while waiting on my trans. to show up.

Robert
Last time I checked, the big Kaw had no cruise control. That has been the deal breaker for me. I would go FJR1300 if I only rode solo. Yamaha added cruise a couple or three years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
My son-in-law has a 2016 Kawi Concourse and Voyager is right...they do not have cruise control available. That has always eliminated the Concourse from my consideration.

I've not ridden it, but I know from my son-in-law they handle and ride beautifully with a killer motor (this is his second one). I would call the seating architecture more on the "sport" side of "sport touring".

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Well.... I wouldn't consider a Concourse to replace the LT. I bought a GTLE and couldn't be happier! Rode my LT a couple of days ago around the corner, and it seemed lethargic in comparison. Rode my GTLE to Neptunes Net (on the PCH earlier today via Mulholland Highway with another GTL rider and was thinking how much easier it was to throw it around. I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though... :wave

Reactions: mwnahas

·
Registered
187 Posts
A 2010 or better D/T heat issue will be my next bike. Most just add the Rosta cruise control or the throttle lock. Upgrade the windshield, tires, seat, bar risers for comfort. Add trunk, highway pegs, lighting. Great engine, a few maintenance videos on U-tube but one forum member has them for purchase. Will not push start if dead battery. Very few problems and lots of help on their site. One U-tube video for tear down to get to the valves. COG members offer overnite camping and you don't have to own a concours to join. Free access to the forum. Been a member for some time now to learn about the bike. Ride one, you'll love it. I won't be selling the LT though.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
The first time I rode my LT after getting the GTL, it felt comfortable and familiar, but with a massive lead weight strapped somewhere down between my feet. I once heard the LT described as an old girlfriend that put on a few pounds, but still knows how to dance... :D

I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though... :wave
Never needed an EHCS (the K16 center stand is easier to deploy, and I use it every time I fuel up). AeroFlow will sort out the weather protection quite nicely. Never needed reverse (just watch where you park). RDL will fix you right up, and even match the GTLE colors. :bmw:

I still remember the LT fondly, but would never trade back... :bike:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Might I suggest you look at a Triumph Trophy SE, 2013-2016. They have all the bells and whistles of a BMW but can be had at a great bargain for all you get. Radio, Bluetooth, cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, power windshield, all standard and built into the bike. A great touring bike, I love mine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I traded my my last LT for a Concours 14ABS.
I knew the minute I hit the parking lot that I hated the bike and made a mistake.
The seating position sucks. There is only one. No j-peg. If you like to ride all day, you will be sore. I found myself aching after about four
hours in the saddle. I am not nearly as old as you guys on this forum.
I put the Sargent low seat on hoping it would help... Nope. If you ride with a passenger and want to install a Givi trunk, it extremely limits their seating comfort.
If your passenger enjoys riding on the LT, they will be disappointed on the C14.
The bike has plenty of motor, however the lean angle is not what you would expect out of a sport-tourer. I was constantly dragging everything in the twisties.
The bike is very hot in traffic.
Working on it wasn't too bad. I made a video of a five minute oil change. The rear wheel comes off faster than the LT.
The thing could wheelie easily in three gears with a passenger. Cruise is an easy install on it. There is room under the plastic.

I like the FJR and they are a pleasure to work on... But like the LT the manual shift version only has five gears.
I have always been a fan of the Honda ST, that is the route I would go.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was riding with a State Trooper who just got back from a week at school on a RTPw. We was calling his Concours a pig in comparison.
He could not wait to get his new RTP issued. The problem with the Concours is that it has not had a good update in a few years, yes I know about some of the cosmetic upgrades. Kawasaki has been putting their R&D into sport bikes and dirt bikes. The Versis seems to be a nice bike but you are limited on adjustability. While I am lucky to have a GTLe and it is a great bike I find that I take my work bike everywhere a GTPw.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Well.... I wouldn't consider a Concourse to replace the LT. I bought a GTLE and couldn't be happier! Rode my LT a couple of days ago around the corner, and it seemed lethargic in comparison. Rode my GTLE to Neptunes Net (on the PCH earlier today via Mulholland Highway with another GTL rider and was thinking how much easier it was to throw it around. I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though... :wave
I would not consider a Concourse either. >:)

I probably wouldn't consider a Concours 14 even if it had cruise control. Too sport oriented.

I am not a huge fan of the GTLE either having rented both a 2013 and 2015 for a couple weeks each. Too lacking in weather protection and passenger comfort.

I have decided that there is no current replacement for the LT. :grin:

Reactions: james216

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
A 2010 or better D/T heat issue will be my next bike. Most just add the Rosta cruise control or the throttle lock. Upgrade the windshield, tires, seat, bar risers for comfort. Add trunk, highway pegs, lighting. Great engine, a few maintenance videos on U-tube but one forum member has them for purchase. Will not push start if dead battery. Very few problems and lots of help on their site. One U-tube video for tear down to get to the valves. COG members offer overnite camping and you don't have to own a concours to join. Free access to the forum. Been a member for some time now to learn about the bike. Ride one, you'll love it. I won't be selling the LT though.
Looks like autocorrect got you. I can't figure out what model "D/T heat issue" was meant to be.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Might I suggest you look at a Triumph Trophy SE, 2013-2016. They have all the bells and whistles of a BMW but can be had at a great bargain for all you get. Radio, Bluetooth, cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, power windshield, all standard and built into the bike. A great touring bike, I love mine.
I looked at the SE a year ago when I was debating whether to repair my clutch or simply replace my LT. Three obstacles for me with the Triumph were:

1. Dealer does not offer test rides
2. Dealer is 90 miles away which is only a little better than the 120 to nearest BMW dealer.
3. As I read more about the SE it appeared to be the only bike more troublesome than the LT!

I would really love another Kawasaki. Dealer is 25 miles away and the three I had were trouble free, low maintenance and well engineered. Unfortunately, after two nice, and technology leading, touring bikes, the Voyager 1300 and Voyager XII, the Harley wannabe Vulcan Voyager 1700 just didn't appeal to me.

Though I have never wanted to own another Honda product, the rumors about the new Wing are pretty intriguing. The Wing has always had all-day comfort and pays good attention to the passenger. It lacked suspension, braking and modern electronic technologies. Rumors are that the next Wing will address all these issues and MAY even incorporate mild hybrid technology in the power train. If Honda does all that, I may have to give them a chance to redeem themselves for the miserable 1984 Accord I owned. My only concern based on other recent models is that they may offer only an automatic transmission. That would be a deal breaker.
:smile:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Kawi Concourse is a great machine. Be careful.. It's got quite a bit more power than the LT. It will get you speeding tickets.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I knew the minute I hit the parking lot that I hated the bike and made a mistake.
The seating position sucks. There is only one. No j-peg. If you like to ride all day, you will be sore. I found myself aching after about four
I put the Sargent low seat on hoping it would help... Nope. If you ride with a passenger and want to install a Givi trunk, it extremely limits their seating comfort.
If your passenger enjoys riding on the LT, they will be disappointed on the C14.
The bike has plenty of motor, however the lean angle is not what you would expect out of a sport-tourer. I was constantly dragging everything in the twisties.
Working on it wasn't too bad. I made a video of a five minute oil change. The rear wheel comes off faster than the LT.
The thing could wheelie easily in three gears with a passenger. Cruise is an easy install on it. There is room under the plastic.

I like the FJR and they are a pleasure to work on... But like the LT the manual shift version only has five gears.
The 2016 FJR has six speeds among other upgrades and no need to add on aftermarket cruise as with C14 or ST.

Reactions: LAF

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

What did you trade the C14 on? GTL?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I sold it to a local guy here who wanted it. Practically gave it away.
There is NO resale value in a Concours. Look at the used ones for sale. No one is buying them around here. Just not a good bike for cornering.
I was lucky that when I purchased mine there was a Go Green promotion which knocked 2500.00 of the price.
At the time it made me at almost an even trade, and my last LT was rough. The lowers and foot pegs were gone.
The dealer asked me to install my spare kickstand because the little arm to put it down was gone.
They sold my LT the next day. It was a much better LT than my current one.

The Concours is for old farts who still think that have something to prove.
If you're a rider, the Concours just can't do what a VFR can do. Maybe that is why I have at least two VFR's for the last ten years parked in the garage?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I sold it to a local guy here who wanted it. Practically gave it away.
There is NO resale value in a Concours. Look at the used ones for sale. No one is buying them around here. Just not a good bike for cornering.
I was lucky that when I purchased mine there was a Go Green promotion which knocked 2500.00 of the price.
At the time it made me at almost an even trade, and my last LT was rough. The lowers and foot pegs were gone.
The dealer asked me to install my spare kickstand because the little arm to put it down was gone.
They sold my LT the next day. It was a much better LT than my current one.

The Concours is for old farts who still think that have something to prove.
If you're a rider, the Concours just can't do what a VFR can do. Maybe that is why I have at least two VFR's for the last ten years parked in the garage?
Isn't that apples to oranges?

I would consider the ST1300 as the comparison to the C14. The VFR is better compared to the ZX family.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 2010 models and above had the heat issue fixed. Great can of worms. Probably cheaper to fix the Lt. and go shopping. Ride all of them and used Lt's are cheap if you change your mind. It's a subjective issue. I like the BMW GT 1300 and would think it to be king of the sport touring bikes. Great post.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Isn't that apples to oranges?

I would consider the ST1300 as the comparison to the C14. The VFR is better compared to the ZX family.
I will just assume you have never ridden any VFR or a ZX family member...
When I say VFR I mean a forth or fifth gen VFR, not the hideous sixth and seventh gen. Though the C14 and VFR1200 are competitors.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I will just assume you have never ridden any VFR or a ZX family member...
When I say VFR I mean a forth or fifth gen VFR, not the hideous sixth and seventh gen. Though the C14 and VFR1200 are competitors.
A bike that comes standard with side bags and one that comes standard without them clearly have different design intents.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts