BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we left Idaho last fall, there was enthusiasm for 2016 and Monterey. . .a chance to check off some significant motorcycling boxes! We had responded to the Town Hall meetings with some schedule changes and a reduced amount of charity pressure. Jean Zeiler got the new Ambassador program up and running and hang tags are headed to more than thirty dealers around the country. Bruce White, this year's chair, has decided to favor riding activities over seminars or other hotel based activities; the web site reflects that change. Registration has been open for a while and setting up hotel reservations has never been easier. The 2016 charity has been announced and information is on the web site. But, to date we have a very low registration number and no newbies. What gives? Chime in here and let the board of directors know what you are thinking. Where is everybody?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Can't answer for anyone else but for Sammie & I it is a list of different things that are happing this year. We are building a new home & sell our old one after 22 years living here. With all this money is tighter then normal. In the past we had a blast going to CCR but the last few years the luster has wore off for us so I'm afraid CCR is a thing of the past for us. In a few years we might give it another try but not for know.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Too many out west, still paying for the last one. Economy sux. Had to pick and choose trips and rides.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Among other things, the BMW MOA has taken a page out of the CCR playbook with their "Getaways". These hotel-based events often conflict directly with CCR and offer geographic and calendar diversity. With the de-emphasis of the LT at CCR, the Getaways may look like a mini-CCR--get together in a hotel and talk about BMW's. It would be interesting to see a graph of attendance of CCR and all Getaways since Getaways started.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think that having 4 of the last 6 CCRs in the western US has hurt attendance . Jan and I have registered for Monterey but I am not 100% sure we will be attending. I have talked with several who attended in the past that said the cost and time to ride to California has made it impossible for them to attend this year. I realize that choosing "good motorcycling" locations pretty much excludes most of the central US so unfortunately choosing a good location is going to to put a hardship on many, particularly those of us who still work and have limited time off. I think maybe we should look at past locations that had good attendance and go back there. I am not sure that having a "new" location every year is that much of an attraction.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CCR officers met last night to talk about the low registration number and other stuff. Well, don't you know, of the seven members of the Executive Committee, only two are registered. Seems procrastination is at work here. . .and I'm a member of that club. Then we looked at the list of current registrants (we have about 30) and determined that there are, at least, 25 folks we know are coming who are not yet on the list. Any other procrastinators out there? For budgeting and planning, getting a firm handle on the group size would be helpful. If you are coming and have just put off registering, please register sooner rather than later.

Some related CCR background: the Executive Committee in place for Duluth selected sites a few years out. . .including, Chatt, Cd'A, and Monterey. This group of sites has been under contract for a while. For 2017 we are in negotiation with a site in the east and for 2018 we are committed to going somewhere in the center. Want to help with all this? Spots on the board of directors open every year. . .for 2017, we have candidates for most of the leadership positions but lack a Vice Chair (the presumptive 2018 chair) and are looking for someone to shadow the treasure for a year and then take that job.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The CCR officers met last night to talk about the low registration number and other stuff. Well, don't you know, of the seven members of the Executive Committee, only two are registered. Seems procrastination is at work here. . .and I'm a member of that club...
If you are coming and have just put off registering, please register sooner rather than later.
Maybe a reward or benefit for early registration would be in order.:wave
There used to be that.

We used to own the LT site and it actively promoted CCR. Not by just a forum but having a logo on the header of every page that Lead to the CCR site. And ads too.

The LT is no more and was replaced by the K1600. The K1600 site doesn't even have a CCR forum.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I think that having 4 of the last 6 CCRs in the western US has hurt attendance . Jan and I have registered for Monterey but I am not 100% sure we will be attending. I have talked with several who attended in the past that said the cost and time to ride to California has made it impossible for them to attend this year. I realize that choosing "good motorcycling" locations pretty much excludes most of the central US so unfortunately choosing a good location is going to to put a hardship on many, particularly those of us who still work and have limited time off. I think maybe we should look at past locations that had good attendance and go back there. I am not sure that having a "new" location every year is that much of an attraction.

I have to admit it's the time and expense for us to take a 'long' trip to ccr this year because we took a 'long trip' to ccr last year. It is just going to take up too much of the recreation budget. We're going to 'spring training camp' because it's short for us. I recall the same issue raised by west costs riders when we had CCR in Vermont.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Maybe a reward or benefit for early registration would be in order.:wave
There used to be that.

We used to own the LT site and it actively promoted CCR. Not by just a forum but having a logo on the header of every page that Lead to the CCR site. And ads too.

The LT is no more and was replaced by the K1600. The K1600 site doesn't even have a CCR forum.
I don't know anything about how forums are set up and work... Is it possible to have one subforum linked to two forums? Could the CCR subforum on the LT Forum be linked as a subforum on the K1600 forum?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Al, I don't know about this stuff either but Dan Fnazzo was trying to get the K1600 site to do some CCR splash. He pointed out that both the LT big list and the K1600 site are owned by the same outfit. Hummmmm. It has been clear for a few years that the RT and K1600 communities are the logical future of CCR. In the first years of the LT, the desire to have both a virtual and actual interaction among owners/riders was what gave birth to both the LT forums(s) and CCR. I have never sensed that the K1600 or RT groups have expressed the same need. . .but if they do, having CCR morph into a K1600/RT organization only makes sense. Heck, you, Steve, Tom, Bruce, Buzz, Bill. . .all K1600 guys. That looks like a committee;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a posted flyer on this forum explaining what this is, where this is, when this is, etc?

Reactions: mwnahas

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No flyer yet but I'll try to attach a copy of the hang tag we are using for PR. And. . .the CCR website has lots of information. 2016 Home

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Al, I don't know about this stuff either but Dan Fnazzo was trying to get the K1600 site to do some CCR splash. He pointed out that both the LT big list and the K1600 site are owned by the same outfit. Hummmmm. It has been clear for a few years that the RT and K1600 communities are the logical future of CCR. In the first years of the LT, the desire to have both a virtual and actual interaction among owners/riders was what gave birth to both the LT forums(s) and CCR. I have never sensed that the K1600 or RT groups have expressed the same need. . .but if they do, having CCR morph into a K1600/RT organization only makes sense. Heck, you, Steve, Tom, Bruce, Buzz, Bill. . .all K1600 guys. That looks like a committee;)
I try to read every new post that comes up on the LT Forum and most on the K1600 Forum. In my opinion there is a sense of fellowship on the K1600 forum but it is quite different from what we had on the LT Forum. On the LT Forum we shared a compassion to understand the LT. With John Z as our mentor, we learned about how it worked. One of the highlights of CCR was having John teach us how to actually do some wrenching ourselves. But the newer bikes, both K1600 and RT, are such electronic wonders that most of us cannot begin to comprehend how they work. It seems as if everything on these bikes is controlled by computer. The extent of my wrenching is changing the oil and taking off the Tupperware to change the air filter. I miss the time when we shared a relationship with our LT that simply is not possible with the new generation bikes. The LT Forum and CCR had a magic that was lost when the LT went out of production. Our challenge now is to find a new magic for CCR that will be appealing to K1600 and RT riders.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I try to read every new post that comes up on the LT Forum and most on the K1600 Forum. In my opinion there is a sense of fellowship on the K1600 forum but it is quite different from what we had on the LT Forum. On the LT Forum we shared a compassion to understand the LT. With John Z as our mentor, we learned about how it worked. One of the highlights of CCR was having John teach us how to actually do some wrenching ourselves. But the newer bikes, both K1600 and RT, are such electronic wonders that most of us cannot begin to comprehend how they work. It seems as if everything on these bikes is controlled by computer. The extent of my wrenching is changing the oil and taking off the Tupperware to change the air filter. I miss the time when we shared a relationship with our LT that simply is not possible with the new generation bikes. The LT Forum and CCR had a magic that was lost when the LT went out of production. Our challenge now is to find a new magic for CCR that will be appealing to K1600 and RT riders.

As a CCR BOD member and Officer we have been trying to find that "magic" , or "Secret Sauce" as some what say. We had a lot going for us back some 16 years ago, new bike with lots of buzz, internet was new and forums just starting with rider getting involved. We benefited greatly by having one leadership group that controlled both the forum and then building CCR from that root. Randy Prade has to be given credit for his efforts.
Much has changed, no longer a common group,many new forum's with forum's having segmented to a greater degree, K1200lt move to a older bike, the core participants have gotten older and in some cases "moved on".
Most organizations,CCR included have difficulty attaching new younger riders. Many Gen x and younger are not "joiners".
Locations and cost are another problem. Our town hall sessions indicated that participants wanted the CCR be geared toward a "premium" event. Hotel and food cost continue to raise in the post recession world. The CCR BOD has been challenged to maintain the CCR at resort locations and contain cost and still deliver a premier event. Unfortunately to maintain a premium event has required some change in what we deliver. We have tried to keep the registration increase as low as possible.
Finding a new more relevent brand identity is the challenge.
The CCR Bod is Open to any contruction ideas that will help is get some new "magic".

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
As a CCR BOD member and Officer we have been trying to find that "magic" , or "Secret Sauce" as some what say. We had a lot going for us back some 16 years ago, new bike with lots of buzz, internet was new and forums just starting with rider getting involved. We benefited greatly by having one leadership group that controlled both the forum and then building CCR from that root. Randy Prade has to be given credit for his efforts.
Much has changed, no longer a common group,many new forum's with forum's having segmented to a greater degree, K1200lt move to a older bike, the core participants have gotten older and in some cases "moved on".
Most organizations,CCR included have difficulty attaching new younger riders. Many Gen x and younger are not "joiners".
Locations and cost are another problem. Our town hall sessions indicated that participants wanted the CCR be geared toward a "premium" event. Hotel and food cost continue to raise in the post recession world. The CCR BOD has been challenged to maintain the CCR at resort locations and contain cost and still deliver a premier event. Unfortunately to maintain a premium event has required some change in what we deliver. We have tried to keep the registration increase as low as possible.
Finding a new more relevent brand identity is the challenge.
The CCR Bod is Open to any contruction ideas that will help is get some new "magic".
There are previous CCR locations that I would like to go to (Grands Tetons, etc...)
Avoiding extreme Eastern or Western locations would be a plus. No way we could have attended Vermont, as an example, it would have been a long and boring ride from California on the slab...

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
610 Posts
Now THIS Is A Great Commercial

This is one of the reasons Jan and I try to go to CCR every year. Sometimes the ride is long, but it's an experience like no other. Whether or not you have been to a CCR you should head out to Monterey this year. I assure you it will be an experience you will not regret.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That was a great commercial and does hit home on why we ride and do what we do. Since 2005 Delta and I have been to all CCR's and have seen and done so many wonderful adventures along the way. We have never done anything in a car that even comes close to the trips, sights and excitement we have experienced on the motorcycle. While locations may seem distant from year to year, we find a way to make it to CCR and to enjoy all that we can. We ride together, I ride and she will fly, we have both flown once to CCR so no matter the location or the distance we have made some wonderful memories and will do so for many years to come. CCR will be around for a long time, the group can carry on for many years and it is those who keep the spirit alive that makes the adventures all the more exciting.

See you in California for 2016 and see you in ________ for 2017!

The excitement builds.....................

Raymond

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have been to 10 CCR's but I will not be attending this years event. It is simply to far away and I would need to take 2 weeks off or drive straight through going and coming. The location for this years event looks great but its difficult for the people living on the other side of the country to take that much time off from work. I have very much enjoyed going to CCR over the years but times have changed. I was at last years CCR in Coeur d' Alene and we enjoyed ourselves very much but it was sad to see how few attendees there were from years past. I don't have any answers or how to attract new attendees. I do hope the event does well this year.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have been to 10 CCR's but I will not be attending this years event. It is simply to far away and I would need to take 2 weeks off or drive straight through going and coming. The location for this years event looks great but its difficult for the people living on the other side of the country to take that much time off from work. I have very much enjoyed going to CCR over the years but times have changed. I was at last years CCR in Coeur d' Alene and we enjoyed ourselves very much but it was sad to see how few attendees there were from years past. I don't have any answers or how to attract new attendees. I do hope the event does well this year.
Will, sorry you won't make it this year. BTW... How's that LT with the broke shock? LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mr. Al, I appreciate your concern worry not the LT is fine and Hyper Pro gave me a new shock for free. Nice of them.
At least I didn't have to ride in the back of trailer full of cow manure. LOL :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts