BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning chaps,

Had my new rt about a week now, I don't want to overthink it terribly but when I'm going into corners it tends to steer itself into then quite a lot, to the point where I am fighting it slightlt so I can lean properly.

I am putting this down to the Bridgestone t30s being worn as I'm riding my old mans 96 rt today with pilor road 3 rear and 4 front and it rides like a dream.

Any thoughts on this chaps or is there something else I should be looking at.

Cheers,
Kyle

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Tires (pressure then replacement) would be my first step. But while you are at check the steering bearing for notchiness (unlikely). Put the bike on the center stand. Then weight the back wheel so the front is loose. Use the very tips of your fingers to rotate the steering slowly back and forth. It should be smooth as glass.

most likely you will discover that new quality tires will make the bike a dream to ride.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires (pressure then replacement) would be my first step. But while you are at check the steering bearing for notchiness (unlikely). Put the bike on the center stand. Then weight the back wheel so the front is loose. Use the very tips of your fingers to rotate the steering slowly back and forth. It should be smooth as glass.

most likely you will discover that new quality tires will make the bike a dream to ride.
I suspected the same, tyres, maybe the pressures but they sit at 2.6 & 2.8 warm, which I think is the recommended.
On that note, when swapping tyres, is there any specific procedure to reset the sensors or just remove the tyre and leave them and they automatically reset?

I doubt the head bearings will be worn as they felt fine whilst riding but I'll certainly give them a check over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not really a Bridgestone fan, but I would double check the inflation and also look for subtle signs of cupping. Once cupping begins even though it can be hard to see, the tire is done.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really a Bridgestone fan, but I would double check the inflation and also look for subtle signs of cupping. Once cupping begins even though it can be hard to see, the tire is done.
Steering is fine, the bridgestones are well known for cupping or 'egging', mine is definitely far into that.

Will get a new Pilot road 5, would you guys recommend the GT with the weight of the RT?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Steering is fine, the bridgestones are well known for cupping or 'egging', mine is definitely far into that.

Will get a new Pilot road 5, would you guys recommend the GT with the weight of the RT?

This sounds like the tyres are squared or gone off. When I first had my 2014 (bought used) it wouldn't track in corners, thought it was me. Changed the tyres and all was fine. On the pressure point, when I experienced cupping with my Michelins on my 2014 bike, Michelin themselves recommended I run the fronts a couple of pounds up on the recommended 36. I have run my fronts at 38 since and it has improved stopping cupping.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds like the tyres are squared or gone off. When I first had my 2014 (bought used) it wouldn't track in corners, thought it was me. Changed the tyres and all was fine. On the pressure point, when I experienced cupping with my Michelins on my 2014 bike, Michelin themselves recommended I run the fronts a couple of pounds up on the recommended 36. I have run my fronts at 38 since and it has improved stopping cupping.
Good to see a fellow brit recommending upping the pressures slightly, I have always done that as I have found it helps greatly with our adverse weather.
A new front is on the cards at least, rear is doing okay with plenty of meat left and no immediate signs of squaring off.

Which michelins did you go for?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good to see a fellow brit recommending upping the pressures slightly, I have always done that as I have found it helps greatly with our adverse weather.
A new front is on the cards at least, rear is doing okay with plenty of meat left and no immediate signs of squaring off.

Which michelins did you go for?
I ran 4GTs until I bought my 1250 with came with Z8s and to be honest they have been fine for the last 6k. But my preference has always been the Michelins, so will either try another set of Z8s or will go with the 5GTs next

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran 4GTs until I bought my 1250 with came with Z8s and to be honest they have been fine for the last 6k. But my preference has always been the Michelins, so will either try another set of Z8s or will go with the 5GTs next
I've heard good things about them as well, metzeler are certainly doing better with their tyres now than they used to imo, the new karoos are amazing tyres!
I have bought road 5GT as michelin has long since been my preferences after I started using the first pilot roads.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
On my Wethead, I have tried a few brands of tyres, but for me at the moment I am happy with my Metzeler Z8's
I have never tried Continentals though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have a wethead (camhead here), but I always run the fronts at 40 psi (or at least close to that number). To me the 36 psi figure never felt right, and in other bikes lead to cupping issues, so I always kept that in mind with my RT.

On the issue of tire brand. I like the PR4s, but recently tried the Metz Z8 on the rear with good results. I currently need a front and just ordered a matching Z8 to try out. I do notice that with the PR4 being close to the end, the front handling is adversely affected and gotten somewhat erratic in it's ride qualities.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Giving a different perspective to everyone here relating your experience to your tires. I went from a 2016 FJR1300A and the first few weeks of riding my 2019 R1250RT I found rolling into corners my RT's roll rate was much easier/greater than that of my FJR that I was used to and as a result I'd start crossing the center line. Once I got used to it never had this issue again. What bike are you coming from?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Similar experience to fleuger99 /\
The first time I rode my '20 I felt like it turned in very easily, almost seemed unstable at low speed. My other BMW is an '11 GS. I think being used to the GS and it's 19" front wheel, the RT just turns in more easily. I didn't even notice it the second day.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Giving a different perspective to everyone here relating your experience to your tires. I went from a 2016 FJR1300A and the first few weeks of riding my 2019 R1250RT I found rolling into corners my RT's roll rate was much easier/greater than that of my FJR that I was used to and as a result I'd start crossing the center line. Once I got used to it never had this issue again. What bike are you coming from?
I'm coming from an Africa twin dct lol, 96 r1100tt before that and a cb1300 before that haha

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
...when I'm going into corners it tends to steer itself into then quite a lot, to the point where I am fighting it slightlt so I can lean properly.

Kyle
This is what Conti RA3GT 100% solved, as well as every other aspect of tire performance/behavior I can imagine. Angel GT was really bad at this piece, PR4GT was okay, Z8 was between PR4GT and Angel GT, but Conti RA3 was pure Goldilocks :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kyle: You're tires are squared. Look at the rear. You'll see the profile is flat bottom with sharp radii on the sides. It should be more or less a continuous radius...although even new tires have a sort of compound radius going on. A lot of what makes different brands feel different on the bike is the shape of them when inflated and on a bike.

I would get PR4GT. I think the PR5s don't have the GT version yet. GTs will last longer with a lot less of this squaring effect. They have a tougher center bead that resisted flattening out. GREAT tires.

Everytime I've tried Metzlers, I end up doing a long interstate run that squares the tires. Maybe they're better now, but I'm pretty hooked on what works...PR4GT. I'll try PR5GT when it comes out, but that's not for a while. My 4's are good enough to last me until they do. I like PR GTs because they are still fun to ride the day before they're changed for new ones.

:alien:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts