BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride this afternoon and the low pressure warning came on for the rear tire.I turned around to come home and the pressure in the rear tire was 42 PSI and all of a sudden the warning light went out. Any Ideas as to what would have caused this? I have had two rear flats in the past and the light came on giving me a great warning t this time it was a false warning that went out after a short time

·
Registered
40 Posts
Took a ride this afternoon and the low pressure warning came on for the rear tire.I turned around to come home and the pressure in the rear tire was 42 PSI and all of a sudden the warning light went out. Any Ideas as to what would have caused this? I have had two rear flats in the past and the light came on giving me a great warning t this time it was a false warning that went out after a short time
Most likely time to replace the batteries in both tire pressure sensors.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the TPMS on my bike but always carry a manual tire pressure gauge in the event the batteries eventually get flaky.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Was it "low pressure" or that the TPMS unit was not reporting any pressure at all? I suspect it was the latter, and that's what one of my sensors started doing when it was on the way out. I did this on and off for a couple of months before I got new tires and replaced that sensor.

I kept the old sensor so I can replace the battery (you can see how to do it on you tube) when the other sensor fails. Since I have 3 of them now, I can rotate them as I replace batteries in the future. I can then use my GS-911 to program the ones that are in the bike to the correct locations.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
I have an'18 RT that I bought from the floor in April of '19. With the NAV VI you can use the Wonder Wheel to see all kinds of data including the "actual" tire pressures. I did have a low pressure while riding in Morocco a few years ago on a tour that resulted in a new tire. For some reason the mounted tire wouldn't hold pressure but we could not find the foreign object that was the probable cause.
IMG_5851.jpg
IMG_5851.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
Unfortunately the my motorcycle display wasn't available on '15 RT. It only became available with the '17 and later models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Likely you have a bad tire pressure sensor. Just got my 2017 replaced under warranty (by a few days). Same symptoms as yours.

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
The battery is going dead. I just replace my front sensor on my 2016 RT with similar issues.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've found mine on my 15 RTW less than accurate most of the time. I carry a manual gauge that's been calibrated with me on the bike, and I normally check pressures before I ride off using my Longacre digital - which has also been calibrated. IMO, once you ride off, if you detect any unusual handling feel, checking the on-board will suffice to indicate whether you think you need to stop and manually check.

I also carry a Stop N Go motorcycle compressor and plug kits in my rear trunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts