BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Wunderlich bars, but this will apply to any installation.
Two important things I wish I had done:
1. Use an anti-seize compound on the bolts
2. Make sure to use a anti-rust spray on the bolts regularly and if you ride salty-wet roads, rinse the underside after each ride.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Wunderlich bars, but this will apply to any installation.
Two important things I wish I had done:
1. Use an anti-seize compound on the bolts
2. Make sure to use a anti-rust spray on the bolts regularly and if you ride salty-wet roads, rinse the underside after each ride.
Do you have to remove them for oil changes etc?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not for oil changes, but when the 60k km service was done last week they did plugs and did take them off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went with Wunderlich, I like the looks and protection, but they may be out of stock, I had just posted this 5 min. ago over at another blog:
"had my dealer in SoCal order the Wunderlich protection bars in black for me a week ago, they came in on Tuesday and I personally walked them from the parts dept. over to service myself, my Quartz blue is in there anyways getting the wheels powder coated satin black, the exhaust ceramic coated black and the top case 28L color matched, so I told them to just go ahead and install them for me so I don't know why you can't get them. Maybe I got the last set? YES! fist pump. Well anyway my bike should be ready to roll tomorrow or Saturday and I'll post some pics if I can figure out how as I have not posted pics yet". num

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I would have loved to have a Ztechnik bars on mine, but it doesn't look like they will have them available for a while Tried to find out when, but they didn't answer my e-mail, and so I went with my second choice, which is the Wunderlich. While I was at it, I figured that I might as well get the rear bars as well. Both are on the way, and will be here on Tuesday. If these bars have plain steel hardware, I think that I will replace them with stainless steel! McMaster Carr is just a few miles from me, and I can just ride over and pick up what I need.

I also looked at the Ilium bars, but quite frankly, I didn't like the look of those at all! Just a personal taste. Ilium do have a very nice side-stand foot-enlarger though. Just $35. I thought that the tang on the enlarger will make finding the side-stand easier. That was my thinking before I took delivery on my '14, but when I started riding the '14 I found that I had no issues with finding the side-stand at all. For me, it was easier to find than on my '07!

Oh, one other thing about the Wuderlich bar that somebody had asked. It seem that for the '14 RT, their bars does not have to be removed for any maintenance. However, for older model RTs, you do have to remove the bar to replace the alternator belt!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have loved to have a Ztechnik bars on mine, but it doesn't look like they will have them available for a while Tried to find out when, but they didn't answer my e-mail, and so I went with my second choice, which is the Wunderlich. While I was at it, I figured that I might as well get the rear bars as well. Both are on the way, and will be here on Tuesday. If these bars have plain steel hardware, I think that I will replace them with stainless steel! McMaster Carr is just a few miles from me, and I can just ride over and pick up what I need.

I also looked at the Ilium bars, but quite frankly, I didn't like the look of those at all! Just a personal taste. Ilium do have a very nice side-stand foot-enlarger though. Just $35. I thought that the tang on the enlarger will make finding the side-stand easier. That was my thinking before I took delivery on my '14, but when I started riding the '14 I found that I had no issues with finding the side-stand at all. For me, it was easier to find than on my '07!

Oh, one other thing about the Wuderlich bar that somebody had asked. It seem that for the '14 RT, their bars does not have to be removed for any maintenance. However, for older model RTs, you do have to remove the bar to replace the alternator belt!
I thougth the Ztechnik were made to break off. Is that the same with the Wunderlick

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I thougth the Ztechnik were made to break off. Is that the same with the Wunderlick
I had not seen that claim! In any case, I have the Ztechnik bars on my '07, and IMO it is sturdier than the Wunderlich bars. OTOH, my purpose of having the bar on my RTs at all is to protect from clumsy 0 mph drops, and there I am sure that neither bars will break off!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's a picture of BMW's Cylinder Head Cover Guard (P/N 77148533745).

Made from stainless steel and matches the bike. Haven't had a chance to test them out yet but hopefully they will offer some protection in case of a tip-over.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts