BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone out there can help me with this. I have a 2014 R1200RT 600 miles on it, and the back suspension is extremely stiff, even on the softest setting with one up-rider. When switched to normal or hard, the ride gets bone-jarringly stiff. I test drove a 13 RT 6 months ago and the suspension was very comfortable. The dealer I purchased the bike from said that the 14 is a completely different bike than the 13 and the suspension is stiffer. There's got to be something wrong with plush suspension on a 13 to unbearably harsh ride on the 14. My dealer did not even test drive the bike or take it into the service department to check it out. Sales manager told me, "Just have fun with it and don't do any wheelies (haha)" Not the kind of service I was expecting purchasing a $22K motorcycle. Has anybody else had a similar experience or can tell me what is wrong with my bike?

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's hard to say without feeling it in person, but I will just say that mine, when put on 1 rider and soft, gets very spongy and soft in the rear. I have used it on very rough roads, but prefer Normal. Sounds like there's something wrong with it to me.

How about the tire pressure, have you verified they are correct?

NB

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I can't comment on ride yet , Mine will be delivered Saturday.

What is your weight ? if you are around 200 or more the rear could be compressed to much .
If closer to 160 lbs the try adding some weight to the saddle bags and see what happens.

The further the shock compresses at a standstill the harsher the feeling, tou may need to go to the rider with luggage setting.
Plus the shocks need a little time to break in.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Take the bike back and talk with the service manager, not the sales guy. Insist that he ride the bike and check the operation of the ESA riding and on the computer. Proper tool for the job and all. Most sales people have no clue about mechanical things anyway these days. I have run across dealerships of all kinds where sales people do not even ride motorcycles!.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope someone out there can help me with this. I have a 2014 R1200RT 600 miles on it, and the back suspension is extremely stiff, even on the softest setting with one up-rider. When switched to normal or hard, the ride gets bone-jarringly stiff. I test drove a 13 RT 6 months ago and the suspension was very comfortable. The dealer I purchased the bike from said that the 14 is a completely different bike than the 13 and the suspension is stiffer. There's got to be something wrong with plush suspension on a 13 to unbearably harsh ride on the 14. My dealer did not even test drive the bike or take it into the service department to check it out. Sales manager told me, "Just have fun with it and don't do any wheelies (haha)" Not the kind of service I was expecting purchasing a $22K motorcycle. Has anybody else had a similar experience or can tell me what is wrong with my bike?
Get the R1200RT WC to you BMW dealer immediately. If the Service Department says there is nothing wrong, get them to put it in writing on their letterhead and sign and date the opinion.

Next, consult this group for the name of another BMW dealer within 200 miles of where you live. And take your motorcycle there.

Jim Puckett
Midland MI
2013 K1600GT
2013 G650 GS

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m coming from a Goldwing (very soft ride) and am totally enjoying the suspension on my new 2014 RT. The soft setting on mine is very soft and the medium setting is perfect. It sounds to me like yours might have a problem.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Well, imho, 600 miles is hardly out the door miles for a BMW. I have about 10K on mine and probably still have a ways to go on my break-in miles. Of course, one man's opinion can be fairly subjective when talking about 'feelings'. It's not like saying the fuel strip is off and "I know it's factual because I'm out of gas on the side of the road and yet the gauge still reads that I have miles to go before it's empty" (on my brother's '10RT). I would look at how many miles do you normally ride per year, on what kind of bikes (the RT is a Sports Touring bike), how much do you weigh, what's your body fat percentage, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying your statement is very subjective and may not necessarily be cause to start a recall alarm. Of course, at the end of the day, if you're not happy, you're not happy and the dealer should try to help out, not just put you back on the bike and point you out the door.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, imho, 600 miles is hardly out the door miles for a BMW. I have about 10K on mine and probably still have a ways to go on my break-in miles. Of course, one man's opinion can be fairly subjective when talking about 'feelings'. It's not like saying the fuel strip is off and "I know it's factual because I'm out of gas on the side of the road and yet the gauge still reads that I have miles to go before it's empty" (on my brother's '10RT). I would look at how many miles do you normally ride per year, on what kind of bikes (the RT is a Sports Touring bike), how much do you weigh, what's your body fat percentage, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying your statement is very subjective and may not necessarily be cause to start a recall alarm. Of course, at the end of the day, if you're not happy, you're not happy and the dealer should try to help out, not just put you back on the bike and point you out the door.
No one has suggested a recall.

Andreas13 said, "...and the back suspension is extremely stiff, even on the softest setting with one up-rider. When switched to normal or hard, the ride gets bone-jarringly stiff. I test drove a 13 RT 6 months ago and the suspension was very comfortable."

As a person who has been riding since 1955 and had a factory sponsored from Maico from January 1972 until severe injury in July 1974, I'd bet the farm that Andreas13 is absolutely correct in his statement, "There's got to be something wrong with plush suspension on a 13 to unbearably harsh ride on the 14."

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's the thing with the new Dynamic ESA: when power is cut off from it (e.g. when you turn off the bike) then it defaults to setting the rebound to fully closed which will result in a very harsh ride. The shock will "pack" and remain in bottomed out state most of the time.

In your case it's quite possible that there is something wrong with the ESA resulting in the rebound always fully closed.

Here is how you can test this:

(1) Put bike into chock
(2) With power off, bounce the rear to get a feel for how it rebounds.
(3) With power on, repeat. If it rebounds just as slow as before, then there's something wrong with the ESA.
(4) Now try other ESA settings. The rear should bounce back up quickly with soft setting, and slower with hard setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We got our bike last week and rode 2 up. Suspension is better than the 2013 we tested. Smooth as can be, I was on the back all day and not a problem, Very comfortable. Only thing we found is there's very little room from front of my size 8 boot to back of my husbands leg. Much closer than our r1200r.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
My '13 GSW did that once before the 600 mi service. I stopped and shut off the bike and reset the ESA from two-up to one-up and rode again. It seemed to fix it. I stopped again and re-set it to two up and firm and it again stiffed up as it should. I set it to soft and firm on the fly and all was good. At the service it showed a code was thrown from the ESA and I have it on the print-out. The ESA is a two year warranty and not covered by the 3 year 36k because it is a wear item (like brakes and clutch I was told). I will keep an eye on it for sure, but at 11 months and over 10k miles I've had nothing but fun on this bike!

·
Registered
461 Posts
BMW replaced my rear ESA strut at 32000 miles and 2 1/2 yrs , service manager said it was covered for 3 an 36K. Replacement is covered for 2 yrs unlimited miles from date of install , labor to.

Bob G
2011 RT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts