BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, intermittently when my fuel gauge reaches just below half or a quarter tank. While riding I’ll notice the gauge go to full on its own, and the range will increase. It did it this morning, went from less than half to full…what can be a possible reason for this? I got the fuel pump recall, but my local dealer is out of stock, and said if I don’t smell gas, I should be fine until they get more. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
First place to check is the connector on top of the fuel pump that is feeding the fuel level sensor. Basically you need to do a general visual inspection. Then possibly the fuel level sensor may need to be replaced. That is not part of the fuel pump recall because the fuel level sensor does not come with a replacement pump. It is disconnected from the pump housing and swapped over to the replacement pump. Your 2013 has a float sensor versus the earlier fuel strips. It's possible that you might have a bad or dead spot on the sensor itself. Usually if it errors on the same range or spot on the display it is a faulty fuel level sensor. Have your dealer look at it when you take it in for the fuel pump recall. Let them know ahead of time so they can have parts on hand or you might end up with a second visit with a fuel pump removal to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I’ll do that when I schedule the appointment…and to your point, it happens around the same area of the fuel gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts