BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to install a BMW Nav IV unit on my new 2012 R1200RT. Everything has been easy except one step. The instructions say to work the power / audio connectors from the dash opening down to the connectors on the bike harness under the steering head. I've attempted to find a path through the fairing behind the headlights for over 6 hours without success. Has anyone successfully accomplished this feat and have any guidance or tips? My dealer is 2 hours away and getting into the service department on weekends will be tough (and expensive). If fairing disassembly is the only way to accomplish the job, where can I find guidance?

·
Registered
241 Posts
My experience was the same with my 2011.
It aint gonna happen.
It's that dam metal brace that doesn't let the big plug through.

Just route it behind the instrument cluster trim and down to the plug.
You can still zip tie it around the upper "visor" trim.
Still looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt - I had the same thought of routing the harness behind the instrument cluster trim, but as a former mechanic I hated the thought of being defeated by something that BMW says can be done. That brace is the issue...along with the connectors always wanting to get hung up next to the windshield mechanism.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1, tried it numerous times with coat hanger, weighted string, long bouts of cussing....nothing worked. I ended up routing it behind the instrument panel face plate and it looks fine. I'm enjoying putting the miles on my 2012 RT and the GPS. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spent three hours this weekend trying to do the same thing. I agree that the instructions were good and all was progressing nicely until I tried to rout the wires down behind the instrument cluster. I tried a coat hanger, string,etc with no success. What a frustrating exercise! Eventually I gave up and routed the wires around and under the side of the instrument faceplate. All looks good and works fine. BMW should re-write the instructions and not lead us all down this aggravating path!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't have the nav iv but I did buy the nav iv gps mount from bmw. The instructions from BMW tell you to remove the instrument panel cover. there's a hole for it that routes behind the instrument cluster and puts the wiring pretty much where you need it to connect it to the connector zip tied to the headstock, I think that's what it's called. Maybe that's what's being said in the posts and I just am not understanding it. Anyway, that's what the BMW nav iv gps mount manual instructs people to do.

·
Cat Herder
1,513 Posts
MattWhite said:
My experience was the same with my 2011.
It aint gonna happen.
It's that dam metal brace that doesn't let the big plug through.

Just route it behind the instrument cluster trim and down to the plug.
You can still zip tie it around the upper "visor" trim.
Still looks nice and clean.
+1... thats what i had to do. It was the simplest way to make it work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When you buy the BMW Nav does it come with everything needed to get up and running or do you have to buy additional stuff like mounts, cables, etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It comes with everything you need except the magic wand that allows you to route the wiring harness as directed...

·
Registered
241 Posts
DESprinter said:
It comes with everything you need except the magic wand that allows you to route the wiring harness as directed...
Yes, and that there is actually 3 different plugs next to
the fork tubes, not 2. Trial and error though - what fits and what don't.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is where I routed my cable for the NAV IV. Fished it thru from the bottom, up. Then pulled the cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
moonw5 said:
Here is where I routed my cable for the NAV IV. Fished it thru from the bottom, up. Then pulled the cable.
Would it be possible to get a pic or two of the mount that comes with the Nav and how it's mounted on your bike?

·
Registered
241 Posts
AntRT said:
Would it be possible to get a pic or two of the mount that comes with the Nav and how it's mounted on your bike?
Here ya go Ant.

Just 2 screws are used to hold the brace in place.
It uses the existing screw holes so there is no drilling or
double stick tape, etc. Super easy install.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
MattWhite said:
Here ya go Ant.

Just 2 screws are used to hold the brace in place.
It uses the existing screw holes so there is no drilling or
double stick tape, etc. Super easy install.
Thanks a bunch matt for your time and the pics!~! :wave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry Ant. I was away and just took some photos, but then noticed some better ones were posted.

·
Cat Herder
1,513 Posts
The mounting bar does not come with the NAV IV.... thats an extra $135 for a single bent piece of metal

·
Registered
362 Posts
tvguy said:
The mounting bar does not come with the NAV IV.... thats an extra $135 for a single bent piece of metal
What mounting devise does come with the NAV IV?

·
Registered
241 Posts
AntRT said:
What mounting devise does come with the NAV IV?
The Nav does not come with a mount at all.
It does come with the craddle "advanced motorcycle mount",
carrying case and some cables. The "craddle" was/is shown
in one of my pics. As packaged, there is no way to mount the
craddle to the bike.

True that the mount is a tad spendy and just a
"piece of bent metal". But your gonna have to have sort of
mount - unless your gonna use something like velcro.
And that's just a matter of what you like the look of most.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
MattWhite said:
The Nav does not come with a mount at all.
It does come with the craddle "advanced motorcycle mount",
carrying case and some cables. The "craddle" was/is shown
in one of my pics. As packaged, there is no way to mount the
craddle to the bike.

True that the mount is a tad spendy and just a
"piece of bent metal". But your gonna have to have sort of
mount - unless your gonna use something like velcro.
And that's just a matter of what you like the look of most.
If you factor in your time, materials and learning curve trying to make one yourself, $135 for a pre-made bent piece of metal that works is a good deal imho!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts