BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:
I just took my 2012 R1200RT into the dealer for my 600 mile service. Before I left, they were very gracious to provide me with a copy of the 0440 Maintenance Schedule, which I want to share with y'all and ask for additional clarifications to make them complete.

Page 1 includes the laundry list of maintenance items along with the frequency to perform.
Page 2 is the same list with handwritten details for some of the items, such as oil grade, valve clearances, etc.

Please share any additional information, such as fluid volumes, etc.

Thank you.

-Howard

PS, thank you BMW for my GPS. The installation instructions with the kit were straightforward, but routing the connecting cable (step 13) took me forever, trying to feed the cable down behind the instrument cluster!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
tvguy said:
Its not required until 12k.
10,000 kilometer intervals...as noted right on the inspection sheet and acknowledged by the technician who just worked on mine on Saturday. That translates to 6,213 miles or in other words, 6,000 miles.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yours looks slightly different than the one I recently received. Your sheet is dated 032011 and mine 062011. Looks like the latest one removed the Air Filter and Spark Plug maintenance information. Weird that BMW keeps the RT maintenance schedule such a secret.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not see the list for the 600-mile service of what was done, so I cannot help out with that information. My receipt indicates changing the oil/filter/crush ring and the 75W90 gear oil (rear wheel/final drive?) with 1.5 hours of labor.

I went to BMW Motorcycles of Ft. Lauderdale. They are good people.

It is interesting that the air filter and spark plugs are not on the schedule with the newer date code. I am surprised that my sheets indicates spark plugs only last 12000 miles when car plugs last over 8x that! Sure a bike might run hotter, but still!

Please add more details if you have them, such as fluid volumes.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Thanks to both posters for your info. I have contacted both BMW dealers in my area, and neither could tell me exactly what they would be doing for the $3-400 they would be charging except for an o/f and checking the computer for codes. If all that's really needed is o/f and f/d fluid changes, may just do it myself.

I used to write service for car dealers and maintenance services were broken down to the customer before work was done, and everything done was noted on the invoice. Don't see how BMW gets away with little or no pre-service info. tomp dd50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
dirtdreamer50 said:
Thanks to both posters for your info. I have contacted both BMW dealers in my area, and neither could tell me exactly what they would be doing for the $3-400 they would be charging except for an o/f and checking the computer for codes. If all that's really needed is o/f and f/d fluid changes, may just do it myself.

I used to write service for car dealers and maintenance services were broken down to the customer before work was done, and everything done was noted on the invoice. Don't see how BMW gets away with little or no pre-service info. tomp dd50
Do yourself a favor and use a private shop for service. One that has certified BMW techs if available. I won't take any of my bikes to the dealer unless it's a warranty related issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
UltraLT said:
There are 4 plugs on the RT. That is what the 4X means.

Ultra LT
A slight correction, there is only 1 plug per cylinder on the camheads, 2010 to 2012. The hexheads have 2 per cylinder.

OP, it looks like they did some extra work on your bike that BMW doesn't call for at the 600 mile service.

DocCarroll said:
Weird that BMW keeps the RT maintenance schedule such a secret.
I think we can guess why. :)

Norm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Norms_427 said:
A slight correction, there is only 1 plug per cylinder on the camheads, 2010 to 2012. The hexheads have 2 per cylinder.

OP, it looks like they did some extra work on your bike that BMW doesn't call for at the 600 mile service.

I think we can guess why. :)

Norm
I only know the receipt indicates Oil/Filter and Rear Drive Gear Oil. I do not know what they inspected, if anything.

The 4x plugs was my mistake - I saw a kit supposedly for camheads, with 4 plugs (from http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=124361 )
- I will update my notes (which i why i wanted to post this information and get the corrections from those who really know these bikes, inside and out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
hskanner said:
I only know the receipt indicates Oil/Filter and Rear Drive Gear Oil. I do not know what they inspected, if anything.

The 4x plugs was my mistake - I saw a kit supposedly for camheads, with 4 plugs (from http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=124361 )
- I will update my notes (which i why i wanted to post this information and get the corrections from those who really know these bikes, inside and out.
Ok, I understand now. Thanks.

IIRC the ascycles.com doesn't have schedules for the 0440, yet, their latest is just for the 0388 which is the USA hexhead schedules.

I clicked on the link you listed and I can see what you mean ... I have no idea why they show a picture with 4 plugs for the camheads. :confused: Also interesting, they show 4 Qts of 20W-50 oil in their package for the camheads and that weight oil isn't even listed as an option in my 2012 manual. That package is obviously intended for hexheads. Also not sure why they're selling an alternator belt with the 12,000 mile service kit.

Norm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Norms_427 said:
A slight correction, there is only 1 plug per cylinder on the camheads, 2010 to 2012. The hexheads have 2 per cylinder.
I've been under the assumption that there are two plugs per cylinder. The parts catalog shows two plugs per cylinder. My dealerships mechanics say that there are two plugs per cylinder. What makes you think that there is only one plug per cylinder? Have you physically seen only one per cylinder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Just called a parts guy I know at the dealership and after looking up the info, said the 2012 camhead engine uses two plugs per side. My `12 has the black plastic covers at the bottom of each head normally used to cover the plug and connected wiring, etc. Still, I could be wrong, too. I decided not to remove the covers to find out, so the confusion continues... tomp dd50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
From RealOEM.com
This is from a 2012.
A 2003 also shows 4 plugs as well as a 2005, 2006, 2008.
I randomly checked these. Part numbers differ but quantity does not.

No. Description Supplement Qty Part Number
01 SPARK PLUG MAR8B-JDS 4 12127726112
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
dirtdreamer50 said:
Just called a parts guy I know at the dealership and after looking up the info, said the 2012 camhead engine uses two plugs per side. My `12 has the black plastic covers at the bottom of each head normally used to cover the plug and connected wiring, etc. Still, I could be wrong, too. I decided not to remove the covers to find out, so the confusion continues... tomp dd50
I think you're right ... I pulled my valve cover just now and saw the black cover at the bottom and it looks like there is a 2nd plug hidden in there. I've done a valve adjustment and that 2nd plug is so hidden at the bottom I never noticed it.

Tomorrow morning (when it's not 90*F) I'm going to pull that bottom cover to verify, but so far, it looks like I'm mistaken.

Dang! I hate it when I make a mistake ... this is the second time in my life I've been wrong! :eek: The first time was when I thought I was wrong but I wasn't. :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
hskanner said:
I did not see the list for the 600-mile service of what was done, so I cannot help out with that information. My receipt indicates changing the oil/filter/crush ring and the 75W90 gear oil (rear wheel/final drive?) with 1.5 hours of labor.

I went to BMW Motorcycles of Ft. Lauderdale. They are good people.

It is interesting that the air filter and spark plugs are not on the schedule with the newer date code. I am surprised that my sheets indicates spark plugs only last 12000 miles when car plugs last over 8x that! Sure a bike might run hotter, but still!

Please add more details if you have them, such as fluid volumes.

Thanks.
I'm sure they're "good people" but if they checked your valves during a 600 mile break in service and charged you the big bucks for labor, you might want to consider another outlet for service.

I have a 2010 RT and do my own oil changes, tires, and brake pads/fluid changes. Get some maint. DVD's from JVB productions and save yourself a ton of $$$.

A mechanic I trust once told me that he rarely see's any late model RT's that need any valve adjustments at the 6K mile mark. I plan on taking a look at mine during the 12K service. With labor rates running $112.00 per hour at my local dealership, I avoid them if at all possible.

The very day that Clymer comes out with a maintenence manual, I'll have one of those too.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top