BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I washed my RT. After drying it, I put it down from the center stand, and climbed aboard. Like I always do for safety purpose, I had left it in 1st gear. So, like I always do, I swtitched it on, waited for the check to complete, brought the side stand up, pulled the clutch in and hit the starter button. It started impeccably, as always, and then suddenly I hear this horrible loud screeching, and I mean loud, which kept howling. After a few seconds of shock, I put it in neutral and let go of the clutch. Screeching stopped immediately. Then I proceeded to pull in the clutch again and engage 1st. Everything sounded back to normal, and I was on my way.

What do you make of that? Anything to do with washing the bike and water having seeped in somewhere? Then again... Water? Or what?

Thank you for your help. :confused:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I must be getting old, I know I've seen this question here, but I can't remember the cause. It might have been the alternater belt?

I'm sure someone will jump in with the answer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well you could be lucky, and although it hasn't happened to me, I have read that after washing or riding in wet weather the alternator belt can become wet. And of course a loose or wet belt can let out a real screech.

Your belt might be on the verge of needing a change and the water was more aggravating than it may normally have been.

If this is the problem just let the bike sit in the afternoon sun. All should be okay by tomorrow morning.

I guess that if you are in a rush you could pull the cover and, if wet, hit it w/ a hair dryer.

Hope this is of some help. Good Luck!!!!

Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
This happened to me a few weeks ago after riding all day in the rain. The next morning I got the screech after startup. A throttle bleep took care of it. Didn't think of it again till I read this post. It was definitely a belt squeal. Hasn't happened since.

Joel

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea water could send the alternator belt in such a screeching frenzy. I sure hope mine doesn't already need to be changed, since my RT is a 2012 and has only 11,000 kms on the clock.

So, was it just a coincidence that the screeching stopped as soon as I released the clutch in neutral?

Thanks you, all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RT1200-290 said:
This happened to me a few weeks ago after riding all day in the rain. The next morning I got the screech after startup. A throttle bleep took care of it. Didn't think of it again till I read this post. It was definitely a belt squeal. Hasn't happened since.

Joel
You mean, you had the nerve to give it a throttle blip with that screech howling? I don't think I would have had it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hammam said:
Today, I washed my RT. After drying it, I put it down from the center stand, and climbed aboard. Like I always do for safety purpose, I had left it in 1st gear. So, like I always do, I swtitched it on, waited for the check to complete, brought the side stand up, pulled the clutch in and hit the starter button. It started impeccably, as always, and then suddenly I hear this horrible loud screeching, and I mean loud, which kept howling. After a few seconds of shock, I put it in neutral and let go of the clutch. Screeching stopped immediately. Then I proceeded to pull in the clutch again and engage 1st. Everything sounded back to normal, and I was on my way.

What do you make of that? Anything to do with washing the bike and water having seeped in somewhere? Then again... Water? Or what?

Thank you for your help. :confused:
Mine did the same thing, the morning after a long ride from Seattle to Missoula. I almost had to go back into the hotel and change my underwear. I did what you did, pulled in the clutch and the noise stopped and never occurred again. I plan to mention it to the service tech when I take it in for it's 6k service on Saturday. To me it sort of sounded like a bad throw-out bearing. The chance that it was maybe the alternator belt also occurred to me. I'll be interested in hearing what others think!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you get the belt wet it will squeal. Nothing to worry about unless you are using a pressure wand on the bike. If you do use a wand, be wise and stop. The pressurized water enters the seals and causes problems with shocks, sliders, brake calipers, and master cylinders to name a few. Hand wash it for a long happy life.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deanwoolsey said:
If you get the belt wet it will squeal. Nothing to worry about unless you are using a pressure wand on the bike. If you do use a wand, be wise and stop. The pressurized water enters the seals and causes problems with shocks, sliders, brake calipers, and master cylinders to name a few. Hand wash it for a long happy life.
How on earth can water seep in where the alterrnator belt operates? How about the alternator itself then? Water and alternators surely can't agree with one another.

I only use an ordinary watering hose with a several position head like mist, shower... to rinse the bike after the soap and sponge. This is okay, right?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Much more common on the R1200s with the stretch belts than earlier models with the older type. But nothing to be concerned about...
Just go easy on the washing. Concentrated detergents like S100 and pressure washers are not your friend- both make it a lot easier for water to get to places its not meant to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hammam, take a look at the alternator when you have the covers off. Its basically the same as an automotive alternator with an open frame design. They do very well in a pretty open to the road environment in a car engine compartment so its position on top of the motor behind alot of covers and things to deflect rain water wont be a problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.