BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any known glitches in the 2012 GTL that make it worth waiting for the 2013? Is there any intel on whether the 2013 will have any significant improvements? I can get a pretty good deal on a 2012 right now, but wonder whether there is a significant reason to wait. Appreciate your thoughts, jray

(Longtime resident of the RT forum, new here).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in somewhat of the same dilemma. In the market-looking at both new and used. I have read the thread, here-indicating that there are no significant changes-outside of a 4 color pallette!
:dance:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think BMW's track record with instituting improvements shows that it takes them more than 1 year to accomplish this. There could be intances where they did it in a year, but I can't recall any.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
George_S said:
I think BMW's track record with instituting improvements shows that it takes them more than 1 year to accomplish this. There could be intances where they did it in a year, but I can't recall any.
I had the same thought, and haven't seen any news about glaring mistakes, but haven't been following this forum (where I figured people would know).

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I have read (K1600 forum and here) that there will be a few minor changes with some new colors, but nothing major. Personally, now that the bikes are out, I'd get one of the low mileage used ones and save around $5,000. They have been tricked out and just barely broken in.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
There is another thread on this site, on this very topic. Some things that come to mind, regarding changes to the 2013 K1600s: improved passenger hand hold bars (or whatever they're called), some new colors, various other tweaks. Search the K1600 forum on this site - I'm sure you'll find it. I think Ken Meese was the originator of the thread.

FWIW, for me personally I was very pleased to see the grab bars improved. That was a significant deal for me and my wife, pre-2013 MY. The 2012 K1600GTL's hand holds can't be accessed because of the wider seat on the GTL. BMW fixed that for 2013.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
hschisler said:
There is another thread on this site, on this very topic. Some things that come to mind, regarding changes to the 2013 K1600s: improved passenger hand hold bars (or whatever they're called), some new colors, various other tweaks. Search the K1600 forum on this site - I'm sure you'll find it. I think Ken Meese was the originator of the thread.

FWIW, for me personally I was very pleased to see the grab bars improved. That was a significant deal for me and my wife, pre-2013 MY. The 2012 K1600GTL's hand holds can't be accessed because of the wider seat on the GTL. BMW fixed that for 2013.
This one
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69083
:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All, very helpful. To close the loop, I called the dealer and told him to prep the bike for pick-up this afternoon. He called back an hour later to advise me that the "wash-boy" was taking it off the rack AND DROPPED IT. They are now surveying damage and figuring parts. Incredible, huh?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I guess the GTL was too heavy for the 130lb 16 yr old wash boy to handle?

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
johnnyray said:
Thanks All, very helpful. To close the loop, I called the dealer and told him to prep the bike for pick-up this afternoon. He called back an hour later to advise me that the "wash-boy" was taking it off the rack AND DROPPED IT. They are now surveying damage and figuring parts. Incredible, huh?
Seriously? They dropped an expensive German motorcycle off a lift? Who the heck could do that? I mean, anybody who did that must be a total ... oh wait, never mind. :( :histerica

I wonder if he gets to keep his job. That's an expensive mistake. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a shame. Accidents can, and sometimes do, happen-but, if I had my eye on 'that one', it would really suck. :mad: I should be picking mine up, next week! Hopefully this is not a common occurence!

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I would be concerned, but I wouldn't want the low man getting fired because I made a stink. I'd just make sure that any scratch would be a replaced item and not painted over. Lucky for us that the dealer wouldn't charge for a Pre-drop charge as part of the prep fee in order to save us the anguish of witnessing our first drop/lay-down!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rapz said:
I would be concerned, but I wouldn't want the low man getting fired because I made a stink. I'd just make sure that any scratch would be a replaced item and not painted over. Lucky for us that the dealer wouldn't charge for a Pre-drop charge as part of the prep fee in order to save us the anguish of witnessing our first drop/lay-down!
I made no stink -- bad karma. The dealer is replacing all parts new. Hopefully, I'll get to see it this Friday or Saturday and make my decision. Of course, I've already spent the last two days looking at farkles . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
hschisler said:
Seriously? They dropped an expensive German motorcycle off a lift? Who the heck could do that? .
Could happen to anyone. That's why they are called accidents.. An experienced BMW mechanic dropped my RT off a lift about 10 years ago at a rally while installing motolights. They were very apologetic, and paid about $2500 to fix the damage. Bike was rideabe. Just broke up the fairing and some other bits

·
Registered
31 Posts
Should be taking delivery, in the morning(Thursday)if all goes well. Insurance premium, is going down, slightly, ;) versus, the '12 Ultra. This will be my first ever, BMW motorcycle! I will continue to post my impressions, here.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Scootr said:
Could happen to anyone. That's why they are called accidents.. An experienced BMW mechanic dropped my RT off a lift about 10 years ago at a rally while installing motolights. They were very apologetic, and paid about $2500 to fix the damage. Bike was rideabe. Just broke up the fairing and some other bits
My comment was intended as total tongue-in-cheek. An attempt at a humorous form of commiseration with the guy who dropped the bike off the lift.

The rest of my post tried to make that clear. An inexperienced BMW mechanic (me) dropped an LT off a lift about 10 months ago , causing $5500 in damages.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hschisler said:
Seriously? They dropped an expensive German motorcycle off a lift? Who the heck could do that? I mean, anybody who did that must be a total ... oh wait, never mind. :( :histerica

I wonder if he gets to keep his job. That's an expensive mistake. DAMHIK.
You for got to add in brackets (SARCASM)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.