BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a used K1600GTL. I sold my 2006 RT a few years ago to ride more dual sport and it is time to come back to touring.

There is a 2012 K1600GTL I may be interested in.

For those that are in the know (Ken Meese?) is there a reason not to go with a '12 or are there any particular years I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.:wave

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops - just saw Borrego's inquiry - never mind I got my answers.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go with a 2014 plus. I had a 2013 for five years and never had a problem with it. Some saw some problems with rings on early models.... most were ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aren't leaky water pumps a thing on early K1600s? I helped replace one and the owner told me that.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
There were leaky water pumps on the early models, but that's been sorted out years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I am looking to purchase a used K1600GTL. I sold my 2006 RT a few years ago to ride more dual sport and it is time to come back to touring.

There is a 2012 K1600GTL I may be interested in.

For those that are in the know (Ken Meese?) is there a reason not to go with a '12 or are there any particular years I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.:wave
I wouldn't part with my 2012 because the new ones don't have anything on them that I'd prefer over my bike (yet). As soon as there is a reason to trade though, I'm ready. My 2012 still rides better every time I'm on her and has lots of miles left to go. The few minor issues were fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
2012 the passenger grab handles were covered by the rear seat. Later models raised them up for the passenger to get their gloved hands into. Switch clusters had issues where the control buttons would stop working. Water pump leaks. All sorted out by 2014. later models added features like hill hold, reverse, keyless fob.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
2012 the passenger grab handles were covered by the rear seat. Later models raised them up for the passenger to get their gloved hands into. Switch clusters had issues where the control buttons would stop working. Water pump leaks. All sorted out by 2014. later models added features like hill hold, reverse, keyless fob.
All above issues (switches and water seep, not leak) except passenger grab rails were covered and replaced by warranty. Just saying...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts