BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working late and need a break, so how's this for a useless post? Of the three colors offered on the'12 RTs, which do you prefer?

Midnight Blue Metallic

Fluid Grey Metallic

or, Light Magnesium Metallic / Magnesium Beige Metallic

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fluid Grey Metallic.

My brother has taken delivery of a 2012 R1200RT in the Fluid Grey Metallic and it is a good looker.

I have a 2010 tri-colour, looks good,except for maybe the panniers, that look a little busy IMHO, would have preferred grey panniers, alas Is Est Quis Is Est (It is what it is).

As fo the 2012 beige tri colour, what were they thinking (those crazy, fun loving Germans)? :confused:

Cheers
From Down here

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Door #1, Midnight Blue is great. I do wish the RT and other basic bikes cam in Black every year.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Fluid Grey Metallic looks just like my 2011 Ostra Grey Metallic.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
From the vast BMW palette for 2012, I chose the very rare grey color. I thought it was about time BMW came out with a nice grey bike. It's so, uh, drab. Yeah, that's the ticket. It's nice and drab.

I wanted to like the blue, but when I saw it in person it wasn't my cup of tea. Actually, I felt a bit queasy.

The two-tone (tri-color, perhaps?) simply puts the fug in fugly. I hereby apologize, in advance, to those who find the two tone to be to their liking...

Tom

·
Registered
233 Posts
beech said:
Door #1, Midnight Blue is great. I do wish the RT and other basic bikes cam in Black every year.
It should be a law that every BMW model is available in black. I'd say pin stripes too, but that would be asking a lot................plus I think they might look a little funky on the RT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
12R12RT said:
From the vast BMW palette for 2012, I chose the very rare grey color. I thought it was about time BMW came out with a nice grey bike. It's so, uh, drab. Yeah, that's the ticket. It's nice and drab.

I wanted to like the blue, but when I saw it in person it wasn't my cup of tea. Actually, I felt a bit queasy.

The two-tone (tri-color, perhaps?) simply puts the fug in fugly. I hereby apologize, in advance, to those who find the two tone to be to their liking...

Tom
Apology accepted! I take delivery of a tri-color in two weeks. My wife has always said that I like anything as long as it's ka-ka brown. I think it looks cool, can't wait

Gary

·
Registered
241 Posts
Blue please.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 09 is blue, bought it used so I did not have a choice about the color if I was buying new I would go with door number 3. The multi color is very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
To my way of thinking, which I admit to being unique, gray, white, and black are not colors. They represent the absence of color.

Therefore, BMW offers only one full true color this year: blue.

The muti-color version does have some limited brown. But for me, again perhaps unique, brown isn't a motorcycle color. But it is good for tree trunks.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Jeff's blue is wonderful, but the 2012 color isn't--it's kind of blue green.

The one with the graphics? Puleeze.

That leaves gray.

BTW, I usually disdain black, but black RTs don't look so bad actually, probably because of all the contrasting silver bodywork.

·
Registered
323 Posts
jeffdean said:
To my way of thinking, which I admit to being unique, gray, white, and black are not colors. They represent the absence of color.
Harkening back to my days in the TV business...

White is the presence of all colors.
Black is the absence of all colors.

When we're looking at the color of a BMW, we're dealing with "Subtractive Colors". The combination of the three primary colors. We see the bike as blue because a ratio of red and green photons are absorbed and what's not absorbed is a color in the blue spectrum.

When it's black, all photons are absorbed, white is when all photons are reflected.

Interesting for geeks like me.

What's really interesting is that if space is infinite, then every point in the sky would point to a star thus making the night sky white. I think they called it the "Olbers Paradox" Could mean the universe is not infinite and not that old.

Anyway, I bought a gray 2011 RT last year, but I love the blue of the 2012s.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
eng943 said:
This one by far. If I had a nickle for every blue or grey RT BMW has built over the last several years....you get the picture.
ENG - where did you get those gorgeous cylinder head covers? Did you plate them yourself or are those available from BMW?

The covers from my GW lost their anodizing and I had them chromed, but the plating peeled off after a while and I was bummed. Haven't thought about plating the R12 covers.

JayJay

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.