• Ireland

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Baskerville Hall (mid wales)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • LIoyney (cookies mid wales)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Germany Lindlar

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Saltburn by the sea (same as last year)

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Inverness

• 1 treffen next year

• 2 treffens next year

Votes: 12 70.6%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this years treffen seemed to be a complete success like last years are we going to do it again next year.How about having 2 next year any idea's for a venue.
You may think its a bit early to be talking about it but getting these things booked ahead of time is a must.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
philh24 said:
As this years treffen seemed to be a complete success like last years are we going to do it again next year.How about having 2 next year any idea's for a venue.
You may think its a bit early to be talking about it but getting these things booked ahead of time is a must.
I'm with you on that. I'd like to come up to Saltburn again, and this time stay the extra day. As for another location, maybe we should organise a run over and stay with Hartmut in Lindlar. We could go to one of their Stammtisch meets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am all for 2 meets next year - again, think the venue at Saltburn worked brilliantly so would be more than happy to go back.

A jolly jaunt across to Germany would be fantastic.... End of May would be GREAT for me as have a chunk of time booked off then... but open to whatever suits the majority.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saltburn is a great location and this years venue was superb,well done Phil.Now Ireland that sounds good to me,and all up for a run over to Germany.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we are going to have to get a few locations and then have a poll on them.I would suggest that we have suggestions until the end of the month and then a poll until mid september so that we can vote.
Ideally it would be good if we could all be staying in the same venue like this year or like at cookies last year where we all had a central meeting point (cookies house).
The venue this year was easily sorted because i new that they could and would cater for us quite cheaply.Rick (cookie) last year did his groundwork and found several guest houses for us all to stop in we had a great barbie at Ricks so that worked ok.I think some hotels may not like to take so many bikes at one time I am sure it was Keith who said he had tried a venue but they did not want to no, I am sure he will chip in if it wasnt him.
I think before you suggest a location in your area find somwhere that will take us all for a block booking and that you are prepared to do the legwork to get it sorted.Unless like at cookies you find some guest houses close together preferably with secure parking and a meeting point for us all to congregate.
Suggestions so far.
Germany.
Ireland.
Saltburn.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
markmoloney said:
Ireland?????
yes, another great place to visit, loved Cork area and Kerry. Was there for a week, and found it about 10 weeks too short a break. the people we met were the greatest. One guy **** McCarthy, who was a Champagne drinker, spent the whole night telling us stories, jokes and having a great crack, And he wasn't doing it for the drink. He had something to do with the theatre, so was used to working with an audience, and we were willing one.

Thanks for bring those memories flooding back, was a great week.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
It was me, Phil. I contacted a conference venue at Castleton in the Peak District and they said they couldn't help but I discovered last weekend that the Buxton Festival takes place throughout July and that attracts a lot of people so I wouldn't be surprised if they are already booked for that month. I'm still looking but I'm not sure now where to look. We visited Bakewell last weekend and there's nothing suitable there. The one hotel that could have accommodated us doesn't have a car-park! It must make its living from coach trips.

How wedded are we to July? Would anyone object to late June. for example? I don't think we want to go into August as we're then into school holidays = peak season prices.

The only downside to Ireland is the cost of the ferry. The BMW Club National Rally is at Coleraine this year and it's too dear for us even with a discount the Club has negotiated. I'm certainly not suggesting that Mark can't arrange a Treffen but I'd think it would always be a smaller gathering than if it were over here. Going to Smutje's isn't quite as bad because we can use Tesco vouchers to get cheap tickets for the Chunnel.

Keith

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally, I would need to avoid the weekend of the 18th June as doing my second Iron Butt Rally SaddleSore 1000 for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal over that weekend -one or two others I spoke to in Saltburn were potentially interested in doing it with me so that weekend may be best avoided...?

Anyone else fancy doing 1000miles in 24hrs or less for charity? - would be FANTASTIC to have more than one K1200LT on the event - this year saw a contigent from the NW UK GoldWing club ... I would love to emulate that with a little group of LT's in 2011....

·
Registered
89 Posts
HI....just been reading in Ride magazine about the BMW Motorrad Days - next year it will be from July 1st to 3rd in Garmisch -Partenkirchen.... sounds excellent! How about we ride to that ? Anyone up for that? Its a free, 3 day festival laid on by BMW ....Ompah bands, rockbands, food, beer, exhibitions, stunt shows etc etc ....free camping or hotels nearby.... could be fun! And would be cool to have a whole entourage of K1200LT's from the UK making it across there... just a thought!

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
It's quite something, Andy, but our Treffen would get lost in the melee. It's an enormous event with thousands of bikes so we'd be lucky to find each other, believe me! The whole town gets taken over and you find examples of BMWs in the oddest of places, such as at the top of the local mountain. We've been twice and wouldn't mind going again but I don't think that it makes a lot of sense to combine it with the Treffen.

Keith

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Keith is spot on there we would never be able to find each other,thats not to say a few of us could not go over anyway.
I go to mcn live every april for a long weekend and would recomend that its reasonably priced and there is loads to do.We could actually use butlins pontins as a place for a venue really all book for the same long weekend.There are some great cut price offers to be had early and late season and plenty of entertainment for free and they dont discriminate against bikes (just a thought).
If we went down that route we could hold meetings in many different parts of the country without anyone having to organise them.
MCN live last year cost me £150 per person for 3 nights including breakfast and dinner not everybodys cup of tea but might be woth a thought.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
We have to think about the type of event we want to have. I know that's trite but it's the starting point. Last year we could get away with having people spread around because we had Cookie's place to act as a focus. I thought this year was, well, not better exactly but I thought it was good that we were all together because that helped people organise themselves into groups, whether that was to go up to Lindisfarne or just down to a local pub at night.

Trying to find somewhere in the Peak District is proving difficult. There are only a few places where you're likely to find hotels that can offer 20+ rooms. Buxton is out for July because of its Festival. Then you're pretty much left with the fringes of the Peak, which are not so good aesthetically at least: Derby, Nottingham, Chesterfield or even Stoke on Trent. Go north and you're hitting the fringes of Manchester, like Stockport. East and you're looking towards Sheffield. The hotels aren't in the pretty bits so we then have to decide how much riding we're prepared to do in order to reach the nice places.

Many seaside towns will certainly have hotels that can cope with the numbers, whether or not we look at a Butlin's or Pontin's. Not everywhere is top-notch, though. A group I'm in had their conference at one of the bigger hotels in Southport this year and aren't going back because, despite a lot of eye-to-eye contact with the staff, they felt let down. I've never been to a holiday camp but I'd expect they'd have a reputation to keep up and hope for returnees, which hotels perhaps are less bothered about.I think it's got to be worth a gamble for one year. Not Skegness, though. There's not much decent riding round there and the roads to and from Lincolnshire aren't great.

I think we've got plenty to chew over in the next few weeks.

Keith

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Phil,
In regards of a venue to use next year.
I do know that the Laverda owners club are using Baskerville Hall, Hay on Wye for their international rally this year so they are not averse to bikers.
I have stayed there at a previous rally some years ago and it is wonderful riding country.
I have had a quick chat with the Hotel and all they ask re bookings is a £20 ( per night booked) non returnable deposit.
If you look at their site www.baskervillehall.co.uk you will see that they have everything from en suite rooms to camping available.
Unfortunately its not exactly near me so its not practical to pop in and have a word with the manager re any deal that could be struck.
One thing to be aware of is to steer clear of the Hay Festival at the end of May beginning of June as it gets full up well in advance.
Regards Ron

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks nice Ron I will add it to the list of possibles good they have a website so people can go have a look.
Germany.
Ireland.
Saltburn.
Baskerville hall.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ronslaverda said:
Hi Phil,
In regards of a venue to use next year.
I do know that the Laverda owners club are using Baskerville Hall, Hay on Wye for their international rally this year so they are not averse to bikers.
I have stayed there at a previous rally some years ago and it is wonderful riding country.
I have had a quick chat with the Hotel and all they ask re bookings is a £20 ( per night booked) non returnable deposit.
If you look at their site www.baskervillehall.co.uk you will see that they have everything from en suite rooms to camping available.
Unfortunately its not exactly near me so its not practical to pop in and have a word with the manager re any deal that could be struck.
One thing to be aware of is to steer clear of the Hay Festival at the end of May beginning of June as it gets full up well in advance.
Regards Ron

Thats MKY's & cookie's neck of the woods,
Unfortunately, if its a BMW Treffen 2011, I will not be attending, as for now at lest,
I don't own a BMW.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bear-KLT said:
Thats MKY's & cookie's neck of the woods,
Unfortunately, if its a BMW Treffen 2011, I will not be attending, as for now at lest,
I don't own a BMW.
I am sure that you would still be welcome you have had an lt for a few years and we all no each other now,I cant see you not being allowed.I went on an RT and nothing was said yes I no I organised the last one but even if I had'nt we all met up on the 1st year and became firm friends.
We may have to park at the back out of sight but we will cope lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ich helfe Euch auch gerne mit meinem Trailer aus :))........
Wir freuen uns Euch wieder zu sehen - in UK oder hier in Lindlar !

Monique und Hartmut der Smutje

1 - 20 of 45 Posts