BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in California, you know what I'm talking about. My registration for 2011 on my 2007 R1200RT is a whopping $217. That's more than my car! It ain't right, I'm telling you! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
May not be right but given the nationally famous spending proclivities, antibusiness attitude and budget problems of your state it shouldn't be surprise that it raises money any way it can. States typically target fees as an easy way to pick your pocket and with the federal handouts to states about to take a big hit, you can expect more of this.

In NC we have fairly high income tax (matches MA and is close to NY), vehicles are taxed as property based on value (my 08 RT is about $100 this year), plus registration fees (not much),. But we do have lower property taxes than many places and an about average sales tax. And a dethroned Democratic legislature that has just gone Republican for the first time since WWII era because folks are fed up with the corruption (several upper level folks have gone to federal prison and both the past and present governor are being investigated) and lack of spending controls.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
racer7 said:
In NC we have fairly high income tax (matches MA and is close to NY), vehicles are taxed as property based on value (my 08 RT is about $100 this year), plus registration fees (not much),. But we do have lower property taxes than many places and an about average sales tax.
In the peoples republic of Mecklinburg County North Carolina where I live the property taxes are not low as far as I'm concerned. About $6,000 per year for my dump plus the sales tax is 8.5% up to 9.5% depending on what you buy. The personal property tax on my LT is $110 per year plus the registration fee of about $25 for a total $135 each year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Not saying that an increase is not in the planning for next year, however for the last several years my LT registration has been under $15.00, Inspection $6.00, and Ins.
$340.00 with a multi bike discount. Have not yet informed Ins. about sale of R80RT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Registration is WA State is about $50 - $60 per year after all the fees and stuff. A few years ago the constituents stood up on their hind legs and did away with the excise tax based on the value of your vehicle. The money collected was doled out far and wide to any and every agency in the state, county, city. The majority of the moolah went to programs having nothing whatever to do with vehicles.

I stood in line 10 years ago behind a lady who had to pay over $5500 to license her motorhome. Must have been a fine motorhome but $5500?

Not long ago a Washington State employee followed a motorhome to a home in the Seattle area because she had seen it numerous times in the area and it had Oregon tags. The motor home was purchased in Oregon and the people had licensed it at an Oregon address. After the back fees and all the penalties the bill was over $100,000!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
My 08 LT registration (about $400) and insurance came up significantly higher than my 04 LT in Arizona.

We should go for older vehicles with less miles I think :)

Barry5k said:
If you live in California, you know what I'm talking about. My registration for 2011 on my 2007 R1200RT is a whopping $217. That's more than my car! It ain't right, I'm telling you! :mad:
 

·
THE Democracy Doctor
Joined
·
5,694 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Shall we call it a "Sunshine Tax"? ;)
Yes we shall! They've already taxed our asses, so "sunshine" will be next. :D

Well no worries, as business continues to flee the state, and the tax base continues to shrink, we can all work for the ever expanding government. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Get ready for more. CA is cash strapped, and wants to be "fair" with all of the bleeding heart programs. Now we have a Democrat coming in as Governor, and the CA legislature is controlled by the Democrats... And a $25 B deficit... We're screwed.

Why would anyone start or expand a business in CA? All the states bordering CA are having a heyday wooing them away from here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Registration has always been high in California, and there is a myriad of reasons for it just as the decline in California's budget can be contributed to a number of state and national issues. Whether you are on the right or left, you can make your case. Let's choose to understand there are differences and to respect each other as individuals.

I started this thread to just vent on the high cost of registration, and of course there are political undertones to the high cost, that goes without saying. It's in all our interests to keep the political bashing to a more civil tone here. There are other places to vent your anger and disgust with the other side!

So please attack the issue, but there is always more to it! I'm just sayin..........
 

·
THE Democracy Doctor
Joined
·
5,694 Posts
Barry5k said:
Registration has always been high in California, and there is a myriad of reasons for it just as the decline in California's budget can be contributed to a number of state and national issues. Whether you are on the right or left, you can make your case. Let's choose to understand there are differences and to respect each other as individuals.

I started this thread to just vent on the high cost of registration, and of course there are political undertones to the high cost, that goes without saying. It's in all our interests to keep the political bashing to a more civil tone here. There are other places to vent your anger and disgust with the other side!

So please attack the issue, but there is always more to it! I'm just sayin..........
Sure, I'll "attack the issue:" Reg has always "been high in CA." Instead of "a myriad of reasons for it," however, I can think of only TWO:

1. The legislature's continued wasteful and reckless (as in deficit) spending.
2. Continuing decline in the tax base (due to an extreme anti-business climate & declining property values).

The tax base always ebbs and flows with the economy. That does NOT relieve the hacks from their duty to spend wisely, however.

Done attacking! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I just moved from Va. to Md. I had to register my 2006 K1200 GT in Md, so I had my bike inspected $68, then had to stop by the DMV to get the paperwork needed to have my title transfered. Went back a week later. I had registration fees, title transfer fees etc. that totaled nearly $200 and to add insult to injury, because the bike was under 7 years of age I had to pay 3% sales tax on the residual value of the bike. Total bill was almost $500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Move to Tennessee......annual bike registration fee = $17
also no state income tax, but... 9.75% sales tax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Whatever ... doubt I'll be moving out of this area just because of fees. Anyone up for a ride up Hwy 1 to Frisco tomorrow???
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top