BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it.
Sold the V-Strom quickly, traded the Goldwing and drove off the lot with a new RT.
Now the problem......farkles!
I hate to be pessimistic but it is possible that the virgin bike will fall down sometime.
Putting on crash bars, engine guards......whatever......is a priority.
Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" ones out there?
I see a lot of plastic/aluminum covers, if you will, but I am talking about the tubing type.
Ztechnik and Touratec are two that seem substancial and look good.
If anyone has good or bad experiences with either I'd appreciate an input.
Any other model recommendations would also be appreciated.
Thanks for whatever you can provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
vulcan said:
I did it.
Sold the V-Strom quickly, traded the Goldwing and drove off the lot with a new RT.
Now the problem......farkles!
I hate to be pessimistic but it is possible that the virgin bike will fall down sometime.
Putting on crash bars, engine guards......whatever......is a priority.
Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" ones out there?
I see a lot of plastic/aluminum covers, if you will, but I am talking about the tubing type.
Ztechnik and Touratec are two that seem substancial and look good.
If anyone has good or bad experiences with either I'd appreciate an input.
Any other model recommendations would also be appreciated.
Thanks for whatever you can provide.
Hi vulcan. Congratulations on the new bike! I think you'll love it. Here are a couple of links. The one for the bag protection is particularly interesting.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8160106.html
http://www.complete-your-bmw.de/presserelease.php?mitid=183
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Something that came to mind was whatever the police bikes comes with. I suspect it is a BMW product though. My only real suggestion is find something that does not interfere with doing normal service work such as removing the valve covers. A simple job suddenly gets an hour longer. And the bars are great places to add driving lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
vulcan said:
I did it.
Sold the V-Strom quickly, traded the Goldwing and drove off the lot with a new RT.
Now the problem......farkles!
I hate to be pessimistic but it is possible that the virgin bike will fall down sometime.
Putting on crash bars, engine guards......whatever......is a priority.
Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" ones out there?
I see a lot of plastic/aluminum covers, if you will, but I am talking about the tubing type.
Ztechnik and Touratec are two that seem substancial and look good.
If anyone has good or bad experiences with either I'd appreciate an input.
Any other model recommendations would also be appreciated.
Thanks for whatever you can provide.
Congrats, I switched from a V-Strom myself a couple of months ago. I've considered but have not bothered with crash bars though I may get the valve covers at some point. I'm going to try real hard not to drop this. It's not like the Strom, the look of that bike actually improves with some dents and scratches. :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I find it very interesting that many former Wee/V-Strom riders make the switch to the RT as their next bike; I made this same change from an 07DL650ABS to my current 08RT and have put 34,000 issue free miles to date.

Congratulations on your new RT :bmw: !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
beech said:
Something that came to mind was whatever the police bikes comes with. I suspect it is a BMW product though. My only real suggestion is find something that does not interfere with doing normal service work such as removing the valve covers. A simple job suddenly gets an hour longer. And the bars are great places to add driving lights.
RTP

46 63 7 699 083 Front Protection Bar Left - US
46 63 7 699 084 Front Protection Bar Right - US
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
vulcan said:
I did it.
Sold the V-Strom quickly, traded the Goldwing and drove off the lot with a new RT.
Now the problem......farkles!
I hate to be pessimistic but it is possible that the virgin bike will fall down sometime.
Putting on crash bars, engine guards......whatever......is a priority.
Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" ones out there?
I see a lot of plastic/aluminum covers, if you will, but I am talking about the tubing type.
Ztechnik and Touratec are two that seem substancial and look good.
If anyone has good or bad experiences with either I'd appreciate an input.
Any other model recommendations would also be appreciated.
Thanks for whatever you can provide.
Beech again gives good advice, and by the way congratulations, you'll love it. I found, sadly through experience, those panniers take a scratchy beating if dropped. Valve covers are pretty stout but did scratch up, rather than repair, I replaced it. Amazingly, the fairing hit at the edge of the mirror, a minor scuff which I buffed smooth again, no mirror pop out, and not one scratch of the fairing, the bag was painted as good as new locally.It was dropped while standing still--how embarrassing is that? I'm looking at some bars myself now. I think there is an outfit that makes an invisible cover for the bags, top and forward edge---like some of the expensive cages have. If I can find it, I'll send a link.
Enjoy that new bike
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
If the farkle is just to protect the appearance, I say forget it, bank the money and spend it when you actually have something to repair. Riding without crash bars will make you a more precise rider. Your bike will also be lighter and more fun to ride.

Spend money on the ergonomic enhancements you will need so that you don't destroy your arms, shoulders, back, butt, or knees. I'm speaking not so much of armor (but do get what you need to protect youself) but of any hardware swaps to make the ride comfortable for long distance like new seat, highway pegs, extended handlebars, etc.

If you can't make it comfortable, save the money for the physical therapist :wave

If you've done all this and you still have the money and inclination to put a wrought iron fence around the bike, be prepared for it to handle slightly differently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a lot of research I decided to go with the Ztechnik.
I'll see how that works out.

After reading the posts there seem to be a lot of folks going from V-Stroms to RTs but also the opposite way.
I decided on the RT since it's kind of a compromise between the Wing and the Weestrom.
So far with over 200 miles I feel like I made the right choice.
Good, since it's too late to go back.

I saw a lot of complaints on this site about the "too high a first gear".
Wasn't sure what that was about but in the past couple of days I agree. Couple of stalls upon startup from a stop.
You have to feed more throttle and slip the clutch to start out.
I never had that concern on previous bikes, including my K75.

I'm sure after a few more miles that'll just become a standard way of getting under way.

In practicing parking lot type exercises; slow, tight "U" turns, slow speed, 90 degree pullouts, etc. it was never a problem with other bikes with wet clutches.
What is the accepted practice with a "dry" clutch?
Will slipping the clutch result in overheating or damage to the clutch?
What do others do?
Thanks for any help anyone can provid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Front crash bars are very important but equally as important, in my mind anyway, is some way to protect the rear cases. Have one of them repainted and you will be looking for some rear tubular protectors like the RTP has. I think I remember seeing a post lately where some company (Touratec or Tourmaster?) is now offering them...

Gael
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
165 Posts
vulcan said:
After a lot of research I decided to go with the Ztechnik.
I'll see how that works out.

After reading the posts there seem to be a lot of folks going from V-Stroms to RTs but also the opposite way.
I decided on the RT since it's kind of a compromise between the Wing and the Weestrom.
So far with over 200 miles I feel like I made the right choice.
Good, since it's too late to go back.

I saw a lot of complaints on this site about the "too high a first gear".
Wasn't sure what that was about but in the past couple of days I agree. Couple of stalls upon startup from a stop.
You have to feed more throttle and slip the clutch to start out.
I never had that concern on previous bikes, including my K75.

I'm sure after a few more miles that'll just become a standard way of getting under way.

In practicing parking lot type exercises; slow, tight "U" turns, slow speed, 90 degree pullouts, etc. it was never a problem with other bikes with wet clutches.
What is the accepted practice with a "dry" clutch?
Will slipping the clutch result in overheating or damage to the clutch?
What do others do?
Thanks for any help anyone can provid.
The dry clutch is the only thing about my RT that I do not like; however, you do get used to it fairly quickly. Some occasional slipping of the clutch is inevitable especially during slow speed maneuvers and when starting off on an incline. Although you can burn the clutch, I have not heard of anyone actually doing any real damage to one on their RT.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top