BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is in the shop for some repair work. Been without for about a week and a half now and will likely be about a month before I get it back. Kind of like missing a family member or a family dog. Can't wait to get it back and go for a nice long ride. :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
I feel for you... My car was in the shop for nearly 5 months! Nothing serious - just gross incompetence and bad shop procedures.

In addition, compounding your problem is the fact that your riding season is coming to a close...

Stay on top of them.

tsp
My Blog

·
Registered
550 Posts
dude, Sorry to hear of your situation and glad you are ok. With most auto insurance policies, car rental is attached. Wonder if bike rental is attached to your policy. I'm sure I'm just being silly, as I've never heard of such, but it doesn't hurt to look into it... tomp dd50

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorry for you. I had my bike at the repair shop first for two weeks, after a vandal kicked it down in a parking lot. Then, about a month later, what I suspect to be a rolling crane at a construction site just plain hit down, and ran. This time, my bike was immobilized five weeks, waiting for parts and all. In all, the insurance had to pay more than $8,000, plus $2,000 in bike rental. Did I ever miss my RT all the while!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
dude - I feel your (spiritual) pain, the same thing happened to me early this year (although I stayed upright, in the bike vs. washing machine dancing down the freeway, the bike lost big time). Collision in January, four weeks waiting for parts to come from Germany, then they got to working on it and found they needed more parts from Germany. Fortunately it was winter and I could rationalize not riding, but then winter really is still riding season in California.

Got it back, put new rubber on it, and it's a joy.

JayJay

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked with the dealership today. Parts will be ordered this week and work will be completed next week. One nice thing about living in Germany is the short lead time for parts order to delivery. It only takes one maybe two days for parts. The actual work itself should only take one or two days also.

Also will need to replace my helmet as they are designed to take only one impact. I think I have officially hit that threshold. It has a decent sized gouge on the back of the helmet. Hate to think what would have happened without it. Also the Tourmaster Flex 3 series jacket really worked. As strange as it sounds, I recall thinking that was a nice landing and this gear really works at the point of impact. This thought crossed my mind as the helmet and shoulder area impacted the ground first. It actually reminded me and it felt like taking a direct head on hit in H.S. football. Luckily the only thing that was bruised other then the bike was my ego.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
tsperez said:
I feel for you... My car was in the shop for nearly 5 months! Nothing serious - just gross incompetence and bad shop procedures.

In addition, compounding your problem is the fact that your riding season is coming to a close...

Stay on top of them.

tsp
My Blog
Says who? I would almost never put the bike away for the winter when I lived in Iowa. The only reason I did this year was due to ACDF surgery, because of which I missed about 2-3000 miles of the warmest winter riding in a long time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the bike into the shop for repairs on 18 Aug. It takes one week for the banter between dealership and the insurance company to agree on cost estimate and for the insurance company to authorize repairs. The service advisor goes on vacation for the next two weeks and no work gets done. I was out of town on business and was reassured by other service advisors prior to the trip that all would be well and that the bike would be completed by the time I returned on Sept 8th. After returning from the trip, I called in to check on the repairs and was told that all the parts are in and that the service advisor who was on vacation would be back on Tuesday Sept 11th. It seems nothing was done in the absence of the original service advisor who wrote up the cost estimate. I finally get a hold of the SA on Tuesday this week and he says its waiting on parts. I advise the SA that I've been advised by other service members that all the parts were in last week. He stumbles in broken German English that he meant that additional parts were identified as the work was getting done.

Not sure if it's a competence thing or a cultural thing. It seems no work gets done if the SA is on vacation even though they have several SA's on their staff. Very frustrating experience but did not press the issue as I just wanted the job done right without any other hassles or issues.

Finally picked up the bike today. Gotta say, they did a fine job of repairing the bike. The bike was purring like a kitten and I am very glad to finally have my companion back. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts