BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all -

After three years on my 2008 F800ST and thinking about an RT for two of those years, I finally decided to get off my butt and go for a test ride. My results of the test ride were typical; "where do I sign? I must have this bike!"

All well and good, but the salesman was very apologetic when he told me that 1) they had no RTs in stock and that they couldn't find one that fit my spec "anywhere on the West coast". He also said that BMW was scaling back on supply and making most machines "to order".

Really? A current model Ostra Grey with "only" ESA, cruise control, heated grips and OBC? Seems like a pretty standard package to me.

Has anybody else heard of such limited availability? I told the salesman to tell his supply chain manager that he just lost a walk-in sale. They said that they would keep their eyes open and let me know when something came in. They also offered to order one direct for me, but that would obliterate any special deals or dealer discounts.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It doesn't help you but my dealer, east side, has an Ostra Grey premium in stock and one on the way. Also has a Ostra Grey low, Thunder Grey/Titan Silver, Thunder Grey.

The BMW promotion is a free 49 liter top case with matched lock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where are you located four12? What dealer did you go to?

Andrew

four12 said:
Greetings all -

After three years on my 2008 F800ST and thinking about an RT for two of those years, I finally decided to get off my butt and go for a test ride. My results of the test ride were typical; "where do I sign? I must have this bike!"

All well and good, but the salesman was very apologetic when he told me that 1) they had no RTs in stock and that they couldn't find one that fit my spec "anywhere on the West coast". He also said that BMW was scaling back on supply and making most machines "to order".

Really? A current model Ostra Grey with "only" ESA, cruise control, heated grips and OBC? Seems like a pretty standard package to me.

Has anybody else heard of such limited availability? I told the salesman to tell his supply chain manager that he just lost a walk-in sale. They said that they would keep their eyes open and let me know when something came in. They also offered to order one direct for me, but that would obliterate any special deals or dealer discounts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
four12 said:
Greetings all -

There were about 3 in Irvine the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. The Ostra Grey WAS SOLD. There are several in Riverside also in various colors including Ostra Grey but they all have the radio options. Where are you shopping?

SEARCHING..............

Found 16 in various colors for sale within a 100 mile radius of me. And those are just the ones the dealers listed. Walk into any show room and you'll always see bikes that were never advertised.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My dealer in Depere Wisconsin says there is more BMW bikes in dealer inventory than ever.How ever they are mostly in places where they are not selling. (the south) :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Check Cycle Trader online. There are many listed there, including new. Or check the local dealers. There are plenty of bikes around, just not how you want them. Ostra Grey is not a popular color; most prefer the Thunder Grey. The lack of radio hurts, too, in terms of finding what you want.
I'd consider checking with another dealer and seeing if they will help. Sometimes dealers don't like to help you locate since they incur more cost in getting that bike and don't get paid for their trouble (if you don't consider customer satisfaction desirable).

I'm sure you will find the bike you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO has four R1200RT's on their showroom floor. Not sure where you're located, but they're great people and would be more than happy to put you on a bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
New2rt said:
It doesn't help you but my dealer, east side, has an Ostra Grey premium in stock and one on the way. Also has a Ostra Grey low, Thunder Grey/Titan Silver, Thunder Grey.

The BMW promotion is a free 49 liter top case with matched lock.
Note that the promotion is only for early-2011 RTs without Sirius satellite radio.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback one and all.

I am in Seattle, WA and both dealers here are "out of stock" across the board on RTs apparently.

I'm not willing to pay the extra/lose incentives on having one shipped from half way across the country. If one that meets my spec (leave it to me to pick the one nobody wants) and I am still in the market to buy, I will consider it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: 2011 R1200RT available!

i have this bike with 700 miles on it. it has the 7 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty including tire and wheel. 49 litre tail box, all the liners, touratech $500 crash bars and all the other stuff plus nav. and schuberth c3 with bluetooth. size is large so it fits most normal humans. there is a good chance this bike will be on ebay or what ever soon.
it's really too tall for me. johnnywishbone at mac dot com

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
four12 said:
Greetings all -

Sounds like it's time for a Road Trip! Bob's has a pretty good selection, but they're delivering them quickly. They'll pick you up at BWI and send you out the same day. Give them a call.

Jim

·
Registered
737 Posts
four12 said:
Thanks for the feedback one and all.

I am in Seattle, WA and both dealers here are "out of stock" across the board on RTs apparently.

I'm not willing to pay the extra/lose incentives on having one shipped from half way across the country. If one that meets my spec (leave it to me to pick the one nobody wants) and I am still in the market to buy, I will consider it again.
Considering the number of RT's available within reasonable distance, it sure seems to me you can find one if you want it. My dealer is 600 miles from Clovis. There are bikes available now much closer to Seattle than that. Fly to get one. Rent a car, drive to the bike and turn the car in - ride home.

Personally, I don't understand to problem. You buy it to ride it - what's wrong with doing that up front?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with the last 2 posts. It is so much fun and exciting to buy a motorcycle and have a ways to ride it getting back home.

tsp
2010 RT

·
Registered
311 Posts
Inventory is low. Very low. BMW has not said it, but I suspect the earthquake and tsunami in Japan are the root cause. So many electronic parts are made in that region for the automotive industry that I'd be shocked if it didn't have an effect on BMW. Combine that with BMW's efforts to roll out the K1600 and it looks like everything else is coming up short.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts