BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that some of you experts can point me in the right direction. I have had a problem develop with my 2010 R1200RT and am at a bit of a loss as to what to look for.

I've been installing the bag protection bars and was installing the Ilium pegs today. After installing the bars last week, I checked the tail lights to ensure that they still worked after having the assembly off. They did and there was no problem. Note that I did not start the engine. I was listening the to radio while working on it but put the charger on after I was done. I have not ridden the bike this week.

I started installing the Ilium pegs today. This entails removing the fairings, removing the bolt that connects the engine to the rear frame, reinstalling that bolt (torque to 55NM) and install a bolt through the front of the peg mount, and reinstalling the fairing. I just worked on the right side today.

While working I was again going to listen to the radio. The bike ran through the start-up check and showed a rear bulb out indication. I cycled the key a couple of times with the same results. Note that the radio would not come on.

I tried it again later and got an EWS indicator. I cycle the key with the same results. The radio still would not come on. I put the charger on it. I tried it again after an hour and the start-up check appears to run normally. The parking lights come on, all tail lights work, the horn and high beam work. The radio still does not come on.

I hit the starter and tried to start. All I get is some hard clicking and the "emergency engine operation" indicator comes on. It doesn't turn over.

Any thoughts? I am almost out if ideas of what to check. I don't see how anything I've been doing could have caused a problem.

Regards,

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
cessna said:
I am hoping that some of you experts can point me in the right direction. I have had a problem develop with my 2010 R1200RT and am at a bit of a loss as to what to look for.

I've been installing the bag protection bars and was installing the Ilium pegs today. After installing the bars last week, I checked the tail lights to ensure that they still worked after having the assembly off. They did and there was no problem. Note that I did not start the engine. I was listening the to radio while working on it but put the charger on after I was done. I have not ridden the bike this week.

I started installing the Ilium pegs today. This entails removing the fairings, removing the bolt that connects the engine to the rear frame, reinstalling that bolt (torque to 55NM) and install a bolt through the front of the peg mount, and reinstalling the fairing. I just worked on the right side today.

While working I was again going to listen to the radio. The bike ran through the start-up check and showed a rear bulb out indication. I cycled the key a couple of times with the same results. Note that the radio would not come on.

I tried it again later and got an EWS indicator. I cycle the key with the same results. The radio still would not come on. I put the charger on it. I tried it again after an hour and the start-up check appears to run normally. The parking lights come on, all tail lights work, the horn and high beam work. The radio still does not come on.

I hit the starter and tried to start. All I get is some hard clicking and the "emergency engine operation" indicator comes on. It doesn't turn over.

Any thoughts? I am almost out if ideas of what to check. I don't see how anything I've been doing could have caused a problem.

Regards,
Sounds like a low battery. Charge it over night and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for he suggestion. That is what I am suspecting right now but don't know why it would be low. It's been on charge for 5 or 6 hours now.

I have the BMW charger that plugs into the power port. The instructions are not too clear on how it operates. When I first power it up all the lights come on for about 2 sec as the instructions. It has been holding the 1st light (red 0-1/3) solid red and hasn't gone to the other lights yet. I am not sure if it is working properly.

I have used a Battery Tender for years on my Harley. The BMW manual led me to believe that I could not use it on the RT. Will it mess up the canbus system if I simply hook my battery tender up to the battery without removing it from the bike?

Regards,

·
Registered
277 Posts
cessna said:
Thanks for he suggestion. That is what I am suspecting right now but don't know why it would be low. It's been on charge for 5 or 6 hours now.

I have the BMW charger that plugs into the power port. The instructions are not too clear on how it operates. When I first power it up all the lights come on for about 2 sec as the instructions. It has been holding the 1st light (red 0-1/3) solid red and hasn't gone to the other lights yet. I am not sure if it is working properly.

I have used a Battery Tender for years on my Harley. The BMW manual led me to believe that I could not use it on the RT. Will it mess up the canbus system if I simply hook my battery tender up to the battery without removing it from the bike?

Regards,
Steve,

I've used a normal battery charger wire directly to the battery for the last 2 years. No problems.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
cessna said:

Regards,
I think if you use the canbus charger, you have to turn the key on for a few seconds for the bike to know it is being charged, then you can turn it off. That is, if it's the CANbus charger. If you get a lead right off the battery, any AGM charger should work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are using the power port in the front of your bike for charging it will not work. That is for running accessories. I had another port installed near my passenger seat just for charging the battery using a BMW trickle charger. My dealer specifically said not to use the front one because the canbus system will shut it off and not let it charge the battery.

·
Registered
492 Posts
PWECR said:
If you are using the power port in the front of your bike for charging it will not work. That is for running accessories. I had another port installed near my passenger seat just for charging the battery using a BMW trickle charger. My dealer specifically said not to use the front one because the canbus system will shut it off and not let it charge the battery.
When you are using the bmw charger you must use the front socket if you use the rear one it will not work.
You have to switch the power on to the bike plug the charger in switch the charger on then switch the power back off to the bike.
This will keep the canbus open and allow the bike to charge via this socket all the time its plugged in.
If you plug a none bmw charger into this socket it will shut down after it has charged.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll try and type this to avoid being called a smart ass by Ted so here it goes.
Canbus has nothing to do with charging your battery through a BMW accessory socket.
It's the ZFE that controls this. Because Canbus "Model" BMW's have a ZFE it is commonly refered to as a Canbus charger.
A standard trickle charger will not charge through the BMW Accessory socket because the ZFE will shut it down.
The BMW Canbus "MODEL" charger will because it is designed to work with the ZFE, it can be connected to either the front or rear accessory socket.

Cessna, I would think your battery is low, the charger is connected and operating properly if you have the green power light on as well as one of the state of charge indicators. Otherwise the error light would be on.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the charger, turn the key on for approx 15 seconds (removes surface charge) shut the key off and check the battery voltage at the terminals with a VOM.
A fully charged battery will read approx. 12.8 volts, 12.4 and your're only half way there.
You can connect a fused trickle charger direct to battery with no ill effects to Canbus or the electrical system.

As far as the dealer saying you can't use the front accessory socket, they are half correct, depends on the charger.

Good Luck

A side note.
If you have one of the accessory sockets wired direct to battery the BMW Canbus "MODEL: charger will also work in that socket but you won't have to go through the key cycle dance. Just plug the charger in the socket then to the power source.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should have said this in my last reply. My back socket is not connected to the canbus system. It is connected directly to the battery. Thus I don't have a problem while charging my bike from the back. What I said earlier about charging through a canbus system is correct. I just got off the phone with Gina's in Iowa City and I am correct. The canbus system will not allow someone to charge there bike through it. You must have a socket connected directly to the battery. It does not matter if its a BMW charger or any other.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I stand corrected about the "special" BMW charger that works through the ZFE. I guess I learned something new today. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
PWECR said:
I should have said this in my last reply. My back socket is not connected to the canbus system. It is connected directly to the battery. Thus I don't have a problem while charging my bike from the back. What I said earlier about charging through a canbus system is correct. I just got off the phone with Gina's in Iowa City and I am correct. The canbus system will not allow someone to charge there bike through it. You must have a socket connected directly to the battery. It does not matter if its a BMW charger or any other.
Your Rt's must be set up different over there then I have been plugging my bmw charger in there since I bought it and it's worked fine for me.I did the same with my 06 model aswell and never had any problem's.
OOPs just noticed your last post.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Keep in mind Canbus controls nothing, it's just a messenger. It sends receives information between the ECU's

As an example.
The wheel speed sensors are connected to the ABS ECU this signal is sent through the Canbus system to the other ECU's some can use it some can't.
The i-cluster wants it so your speed can be displayed on the speedometer, the TPM won't care about that signal and ignores it.
If you have a fault in the Canbus system the ABS would work but your speedo won't.
All ECU's are designed to function alone but will loose some functionality with the loss of Canbus, as noted above.
You have to keep in mind that Canbus is not a control system but an information system.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
New2rt said:
Keep in mind Canbus controls nothing, it's just a messenger. It sends receives information between the ECU's

As an example.
The wheel speed sensors are connected to the ABS ECU this signal is sent through the Canbus system to the other ECU's some can use it some can't.
The i-cluster wants it so your speed can be displayed on the speedometer, the TPM won't care about that signal and ignores it.
If you have a fault in the Canbus system the ABS would work but your speedo won't.
All ECU's are designed to function alone but will loose some functionality with the loss of Canbus, as noted above.
You have to keep in mind that Canbus is not a control system but an information system.
Actually, it's a network.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
PWECR said:
Here is said charger: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
New2rt[color=Red said:
]I'll try and type this to avoid being called a smart ass by Ted so here it goes.
Canbus has nothing to do with charging your battery through a BMW accessory socket.
It's the ZFE that controls this. Because Canbus "Model" BMW's have a ZFE it is commonly refered to as a Canbus charger.
A standard trickle charger will not charge through the BMW Accessory socket because the ZFE will shut it down.
The BMW Canbus "MODEL" charger will because it is designed to work with the ZFE, it can be connected to either the front or rear accessory socket.[/color]

Cessna, I would think your battery is low, the charger is connected and operating properly if you have the green power light on as well as one of the state of charge indicators. Otherwise the error light would be on.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the charger, turn the key on for approx 15 seconds (removes surface charge) shut the key off and check the battery voltage at the terminals with a VOM.
A fully charged battery will read approx. 12.8 volts, 12.4 and your're only half way there.
You can connect a fused trickle charger direct to battery with no ill effects to Canbus or the electrical system.

As far as the dealer saying you can't use the front accessory socket, they are half correct, depends on the charger.

Good Luck

A side note.
If you have one of the accessory sockets wired direct to battery the BMW Canbus "MODEL: charger will also work in that socket but you won't have to go through the key cycle dance. Just plug the charger in the socket then to the power source.

No one is calling you a smart ass. However you don't need to try and prove you're smarter than the rest of us by posting in every thread about batteries that the ZFE and the CANBUS are two completely different things. Frankly no one really gives a shit.

The simple issue here for the OP is charging his battery and getting his bike to start. Let's help him with that and stick to the issue at hand...

Cessna -

You are not going to hurt the bike or the battery if you use a standard charger directly to the battery.

That back socket is connected to the bike just like the front one so unless you've custom wired it to the battery it won't be useful for charging unless you have this charger -

Battery Charger - BMW New Technology CAN Bus Battery Charger - AGM

I have seen a few batteries lately that load tested OK but for some strange reason wouldn't take a full charge and had starting issues.

If an overnight charge doesn't solve your problem then call BMW Roadside and have them get it to the deal erfor a new battery. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wonder, has removing the engine mount bolt disrupted your ground continuity?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ted Shred said:
No one is calling you a smart ass. However you don't need to try and prove you're smarter than the rest of us by posting in every thread about batteries that the ZFE and the CANBUS are two completely different things. Frankly no one really gives a shit.

The simple issue here for the OP is charging his battery and getting his bike to start. Let's help him with that and stick to the issue at hand...

Cessna -

You are not going to hurt the bike or the battery if you use a standard charger directly to the battery.

That back socket is connected to the bike just like the front one so unless you've custom wired it to the battery it won't be useful for charging unless you have this charger -

That's already been said Ted, see I can play too.
Battery Charger - BMW New Technology CAN Bus Battery Charger - AGM

I have seen a few batteries lately that load tested OK but for some strange reason wouldn't take a full charge and had starting issues.

If an overnight charge doesn't solve your problem then call BMW Roadside and have them get it to the deal erfor a new battery. Good luck.
Well Ted last time I posted this you said I was a smart ass, and no I'm not trying to prove anything.
I also find it interesting that you can speak for everone, I'm betting a few give a shit and, if just one gets it, that's all that matters.
You need to start looking at the what and not the who cuz you seem to have a problem with it. Ted

It's information, you can take it or leave it, and yes I will continue to correct posts if I know them to be incorrect as others should also do. If not ,it becomes just another crap site with people posting mis-information.

Sorry Cesna, I know it's off from your OP

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the information. I do have the BMW charger that both Ponch and Ted mentioned. Note that if I plug it into the rear socket the charger flashes error. I didn't try turning the key on before plugging the charger in there though. The charger seemed to work in the front port. The instructions with the charger are not clear and I couldn't tell if the power port was shutting down after charging. I plugged into it without first turning the ignition on.

Apparently a low batter condition was causing the problem. Interesting to note that the system gave me several error messages but not a low battery! After being on the charger overnight the bike started fine this morning and the radio worked OK. Maybe the radio draws more power than I thought and that combined with cold nights and not riding it for two weeks killed the battery. Maybe the radio isn't shutting off completely either. I was using it in the mode with the key off and the computer was shutting the power off after 15 to 20 minutes each time...or at least it was supposed to be doing that!

I am going to leave it on the charger like I do my Harley when not riding it and see what happens. I never have batter problems with the HD doing that.

Thanks again for all the advise!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts