BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my horn stopped working. I pulled the horn off the bike and connected one pin to the hot side of the battery and the other pin to the negative side and the horn sounded off. So, I am thinking it's my switch.

Before I spend some $$$ on a new switch block is there anything I can do to repair it myself? The other switches work on the block (cruise, ESA, windshield etc) just the horn is not operable. Hate to spend that kind of money to get the ding dang horn to work.

Any ideas will be helpful

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Not sure what the switch on the RT is like but I had a similar issue on my 2005 GT the other week... the plastic horn switch had slightly popped out of its seating and wouldn't allow the contacts to come together... only found this after after stripping down the bike.... another guy on a later bike had a similar problem a couple of weeks later.
The fix was to push hard on the switch and pop it back into place.
Worth a look. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
You would need a wiring dia. To properly diag. The issue. Is it the switch or does the switch trigger a relay to. Sound the horn ? Maybe a popped fuse ? Better not to toss expensive parts at it as a guess. Volt/Ohm meter and a wire diagram or at least try to test the circuit

·
Registered
461 Posts
2010RT is "Canbus" bike that means no fuses or relay an the horn PB is a computer imput. When a overcurrent condition takes place that output is shut off an a fault is displayed. The ignition key SW will reset it. With the lamps are also monitored for undercurrent = bad bulb also.

Bob G

·
Registered
194 Posts
No, not really. I replaced mine last year for the same reason.

The only bad part is if you have cruise control, the cable plugs into the engine control module, which is located under the gas tank, which if course must be removed for access. Fortunately, it is not that difficult.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good morning Golf18,
Turning the bike off an restarting will clear / reset the faulted circuit if problem has been corrected. Just like changing a fuse.

Bob G
2011RT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good morning Golf18,
Turning the bike off an restarting will clear / reset the faulted circuit if problem has been corrected. Just like changing a fuse.

Bob G
2011RT
I am well aware how can bus systems and internal module relays work. I was just don't like it when people "throw parts " at problems with out some basic
Diagnostics being done. I am in the auto repair field. Some times I get the "
The internet said to replace this and it did not fix it. What's wrong ? No I don't want to pay for diag. ". Sorry just ranting and raving , through is was on Stop ridding thread.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Golf18,
Your questions did not indicate that you " are well aware how canbus works"
I did not recommend any parts replacement.
As they say in old Mexico "via con dios"

Bob G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts