BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the comments about the servo brakes on earlier RTs being touchy they must really be aweful since there are so many comments. I've been riding my 2010RT for 6 months and I still can't get used to the front brake! At slow speed that brake is deadly and could very easily drop me on the ground if I don't pay attention. At speed it isn't a problem but in parking lots, stopping at stop signs, pulling into my carport, etc. I've gotten to where is release the front brake and just use the rear to avoid the possibility of it dumping me.

My 24 year old HD's brakes are non existant by comparison. Is a super agressive front brake on the 2010RT normal or does mine need looking at? Again, at speed it isn't a problem but it really grabs at walking speed.

Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve, I upgraded from an '04 RT (with servos) to an '09 last fall and I did notice touchy front brakes on the newer RT. The '04 servo brakes are fully linked and I found the rear pedal to be very touchy - almost an on/off experience - so I avoided the rear brake at low speed. Like you I now use the rear brake more for slow speed maneuvers on my '09. I sure do appreciate the RT brakes when I'm at speed, though, touchy or not!

Bottom line is that I got used to the brakes on both bikes after a while - I prefer the '09 but the servo version worked fine for me while I had it.

(BTW I like your avatar (diving photo) - I'm a diver myself. It's a different world down there.)

·
Registered
492 Posts
cessna said:
With all the comments about the servo brakes on earlier RTs being touchy they must really be aweful since there are so many comments. I've been riding my 2010RT for 6 months and I still can't get used to the front brake! At slow speed that brake is deadly and could very easily drop me on the ground if I don't pay attention. At speed it isn't a problem but in parking lots, stopping at stop signs, pulling into my carport, etc. I've gotten to where is release the front brake and just use the rear to avoid the possibility of it dumping me.

My 24 year old HD's brakes are non existant by comparison. Is a super agressive front brake on the 2010RT normal or does mine need looking at? Again, at speed it isn't a problem but it really grabs at walking speed.

Regards,
I found the same with mine so much so that i sometimes end up stopping way short at junctions, at slow speeds the front brake is lethal like you I have nearly dumped mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too found the front brakes on my 2010 RT to be a little 'grabby' at slow speeds and light pressure. After riding back down the Mt. Washington auto road, they aren't as bad as they were when new. Aside from that, IMO, they provide excellent feedback and great stopping power.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Are the MY2010 brakes different from those on MY2007-2009 bikes?
Gaby

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do appreciate the brakes when at speed. they are very smooth and do provide great stopping power. It's jsut the real slow stuff that worries me. I have to let it roll backwards out of the carport, down a slight grade, and make a 90 degree turn to head out the driveway. Oh yea, the is a bit of surface gravel on my asphalt. With the fornt end turned to the stop I have to be extremely careful that I don't get launched off the high side!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaveInTX said:
(BTW I like your avatar (diving photo) - I'm a diver myself. It's a different world down there.)
Off topic; but...........That pic was taken in the Sea of Cortez out at a place called Isla Tortuga. 30 years ago the diving down there was much better. The Japanese overfished the area and it hase come back yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
IMH opinion, the front brake works very well, no problems for me at all--on a 2010 RT. The brake on my Triumph was the only thing that came close. The H-D has what a friend calls "plan ahead, way ahead" brakes.

I find it easily controllable with one finger providing all the force needed. Living in this town with all the cage drivers on cell phones, or under the influence, or both--most of the time, I ride with fingers draped over the lever in traffic. A wise old motor officer tipped me off to that during a training class. I've had one ABS, holy cow, panic stop while in the city about a month ago, at about 20mph as a car turned left in front of me. No front end dive, easy (maybe it was instinct?), smooth stop. I had to catch my breath after the incident, but control was never a problem.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2011 RT has touchy brakes too. It makes me look like a rookie when trying to come to a normal stop. I've also noticed that the rear brake travel is greater if I apply the rear brakes first than if I apply the brakes together or the front brake first. I hope it gets better with the miles or I get used to it. It's been raining a lot here and I hate to keep having to depend on the ABS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of bike you rode before a BMW.
When I had a K75 I very seldom used the rear brake.
When I bought a Kawasaki Nomad I found that trying to stop without using the rear brake was almost impossible. I found the same issue on any cruiser I've ever ridden, including Harleys.
Even transitioning from my Goldwing to the RT I found the BMW to be more sensitive.
There is no doubt that when making any slow turn (parking lot maneuvers) you shouldn't be using the front brake when the bars are not straight. The bike will fall over.
When you get used to the outstanding braking capability of the RT I think it is unbeatable.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
vulcan said:
I think it depends on what kind of bike you rode before a BMW.
When I had a K75 I very seldom used the rear brake.
When I bought a Kawasaki Nomad I found that trying to stop without using the rear brake was almost impossible. I found the same issue on any cruiser I've ever ridden, including Harleys.
Even transitioning from my Goldwing to the RT I found the BMW to be more sensitive.
There is no doubt that when making any slow turn (parking lot maneuvers) you shouldn't be using the front brake when the bars are not straight. The bike will fall over.
When you get used to the outstanding braking capability of the RT I think it is unbeatable.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the Nomad. It's 250 lbs heavier than the RT and the brakes aren't as good. The one thing I found too is that people don't seem to change the brake fluid so often with jap bikes. It can make a big difference. That said, the RT has very good brakes. The best I've used so far.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ponch said:
Yeah, I know what you mean about the Nomad. It's 250 lbs heavier than the RT and the brakes aren't as good. The one thing I found too is that people don't seem to change the brake fluid so often with jap bikes. It can make a big difference. That said, the RT has very good brakes. The best I've used so far.
Ponch---I could not agree with you more, but with one exception; a Ducati 1198 I rode (belonged to a friend) had superb braking abilities. On a ride this very afternoon I paid lots of attention to brake "behavior" in various situations--excellent.
Does anybody remember the days of twin and four leading shoe drums? If you do, you'll love the linked ABS brakes on your Beemer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded an '02 for a 2011 RT. I think the brakes on the 2011 are just right. The '02 RT had very touchy brakes, especially at parking lot speeds. The new bike is perfect with just two fingers. I feel I can modulate the braking much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2009 R1200RT, just got back from a 2000+ road trip, found pulsing from the front brake in the last 200 checked the rotors with a dial gauge and the right rotor has a .007" run out, this seems to be a problem with the rt's are the 2014 rt's better ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
2009 R1200RT, just got back from a 2000+ road trip, found pulsing from the front brake in the last 200 checked the rotors with a dial gauge and the right rotor has a .007" run out, this seems to be a problem with the rt's are the 2014 rt's better ??
2009 R1200RT, Just checked the front brake pads, 3 look like new, 1 is almost worn out, pistons are not seized???

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Well I feel really blessed because I have a 2003RT. The servo failed. I pulled it off the bike and it now has conventional brakes which are superb for power, feel and most importantly, confidence.
However to the O/P. I really think you do get used to the brakes on most bikes and no doubt given a few thousand miles, your brain will dial in a subconcious 'feel ometer' and you won't even have to think about it anymore.
Ride (carefully) and enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you may want to look at the brake lever adjustment screw. You can adjust the lever so it sits closer to the bars, this could provide a better feel for you as your hand would not be as stretched out when grabbing for the brake. IMO I have the brake all the way out as I like to have an instant feel for the brake as I pull on the lever.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do RTs (specifically hex heads) come from the factory with organic or sintered rear pads? Previous owner put EBC HH pads on right before selling to me. Wondering if BMW intended for them to be organic.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If high quality, powerful brakes feel too grabby and twitchy, I would try adjusting the nut on the seat.😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts