BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that the front brake reservoir was wet around the line where the lid joins the reservoir.
I gave it a rub and WTF! the black paint on the lid came off in blisters along the join.
Who uses painted surfaces on a brake reservoir?
Anyway, I checked the securing screws in the lid and they are tight.
Anyone else had or heard of this?
The reservoir has never been off, the bike has not yet had its first service.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You gave me something to think about. I went out to the garage and checked--no moisture or leaks on mine. However, my HD RK did have the same thing happen to it. It had tight fasteners and the gasket looked good and not crushed from over tightening. I was told by the dealer it was from being on the kick stand when parked, for long periods of time. I though it was a bull**** explanation, but I installed a centerstand and it can be parked forever and no leaks what-so-ever for the next 4 years I owned it. Never happened again. Maybe, I don't know, just a thought.
As far as painting that thing??? Indeed, WTF!

·
Registered
609 Posts
It happened on my 2010 at about 3,000 KM. The dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty and I've had no problems since. I was disappointed to discover they were painted. Not a good thing.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ditto above on my 2010 RT at about 12,000 km's. Paint peeled with no evidence of any seepage. BMW replaced lid and gasket. Bike 99% of its life on centre stand, so I do not think the side stand was a issue in my case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I returned from a trip this past weekend and decided to wash the bugs off.I noticed mine is peeling as well.Will be calling the dealer..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spoke with service dept and he said it is an ongoing problem, The 2011 are suppose to have better finish. didn't have this problem until after my service a few weeks ago.Think I may get them powder coated or anodized. He did say to bring it in and they will take care of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same challenge and was replaced by dealer. I also noticed that the new one wasn't full. Dealer said it shouldn't have been filled above the line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If fluid can get out, then moisture will get in.

might be worth an earlier than scheduled brake fluid change?
\v/

·
Registered
27 Posts
dadicool59 said:
I noticed today that the front brake reservoir was wet around the line where the lid joins the reservoir.
I gave it a rub and WTF! the black paint on the lid came off in blisters along the join.
Who uses painted surfaces on a brake reservoir?
Anyway, I checked the securing screws in the lid and they are tight.
Anyone else had or heard of this?
The reservoir has never been off, the bike has not yet had its first service.
look who's here! how is it going bro? made the move? happy with the rt? how do you find it vs the k? i'm looking to the new gt1600, don't know what to do. rt is fine though.
o.t. yes i had moisture, paint was peeling. seems that at first inspection they forgot to tighten the screws. they replaced cap under warrantee. yes it is stupid using paint. touratech sells some all metal caps but silver not black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts