BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 RT and I have noticed that occasionally there are a few drops of gasoline under the bike after it has sat overnight. The drips are coming from a drain hose on the right side near the center stand and seems to occur when the tank is full. Just wondering if this was normal?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ahhhh.. are you overfilling the tank? I don't know if there is an overflow tube inside the tank but there is one just outside the filler neck. Any extra gasoline around that neck is drained out a tube to the bottom of the bike. Or maybe you are filling it too high and when you place your bike on the side stand you get gasoline that spills out.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
This very likely is the liquid fuel overflow from the charcoal evaporation canister under the plastic. It is connected to the tank vent, A solenoid opens by direction of the computer to vent the canister to the intake system on the right cylinder throttle body. A diagram of all the plumbing is under the seat. This is not really a good sign. Your canister could be flooded. As mentioned don't over fill the tank unless you are headed out on the road. And this canister system is only for USA bikes. Many states will not pass you on air pollution inspection if it is missing. Some folks remove this system, taping off the solenoid, capping the left throttle body inlet after removing the hose and re routing the hose that goes from the tank to the charcoal canister to the ground. Watch out for spiders or bugs making nests in this hose and plugging it, a real problem. It is illegal to remove this system in the states. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.