BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the bike laid up for the winter I gave it a start and warmed it through today. As the air temperature was below freezing there was a lot of condensation in the exhaust initially and I noticed there was a leak of water vapour under the bike. It was a leak from the exhaust at the joint that houses the new exhaust valve. You can feel a small jet of gas against your hand from the upstream clamp. Had it not been so cold I would not have noticed this and wonder if it needs sorting at the 600 mile service. When the throttle is blipped the exhaust makes a dull popping sound as the revs fall - could that be air drawn in to the exhaust ? Anyone else had this issue ?

Kev

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hiya Kev yes i had the same thing told them when i took it for the 600ml service and it was sorted.
I didn't notice it until I had done about 400ml but Coopers sorted it I presume you got yours from there aswell.Rubbish weather we are having

·
Registered
498 Posts
Same thing happened with my 2010 RT, discovered it on a cold morning camping trip last May when I say exhaust/vapor coming out of joint. Snugged it with a wrench, hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny, just checked my 2011 too and it also leaks....Guess I'll try tightening it. I have not hit 600 miles yet so I may let the dealer mess with it if a quick tightening does not work.

Dave

·
Registered
378 Posts
It is designed to leak to let the condensation leak out rather than corrode the muffler, you will never notice it unless you are condensating. Most motorcycles do this. Note that it is at the low point.

Best to get a note to that "technician" to dummy up :histerica

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Just a suggestion for you, do not start your motorcycle unless you are going to ride it. Warming it up to operating temperature and shutting it down does not get the oil warm enough for a long enough period of time to evaporate the condensation in the crankcase. Too many warm-ups in the winter can be bad. Put fuel stabilizer in the tank and charge the battery every few weeks instead.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dean

Thanks for the advice re warm up. I did have some concerns about warming up in winter but I reckoned as long as it was real warm it would be OK. However with it being air cooled I guess you are limited in the amount of time you can run it stationary and as you say thats not going to be long enough to fully warm the oil to the point where all condensation is removed.

To be honest I think warming the bike up is actually for my benefit rather than the bikes best interest. At 57 years old its still a boys and toys thing to go into your play area and pretend. Roll on Spring - its been minus 11 here recently

Kev

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think the general rule about cold weather is to get it to operating temp and ride for 15 minutes to burn the condensation off the oil, this is same for air or liquid cooled, m/c, car or truck from smart car to a 26 wheel Kenworth hauling a D8.

And make sure that you ride your bike, never drive it. :rotf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts